iMac vs desktop PC - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:22 PM   #26
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
In general, in the last few years Apple introduced to the PC market: ultrabooks, Thunderbolt, OpenCL, HiDPI laptop displays (and a working resolution-independece software layer), consumer-grade tiered storage (Fusion Drive), unibody computer designs, long-duty compact laptop batteries (1000 load-cycles compared to 300-400 of manufacturers like HP) and industry-best touchpads. As far as iMacs go - nobody else can build a machine so thin with such a good thermal solution that it is able to fit a top-of-the-line Intel quad core and a fastest mobile GPU currently available. Some Windows gaming laptops with high-end GPUs are actually thicker than the iMac - and the 27" model with everything inside weights only a few kilograms more than your average 24" display!

These are things which come to my mind spontaneously. Can you name me a single other PC manufacturer with more innovations over the past few years?

I am fully aware of the fact that Apple products are more expensive than other products in the market and that they limited in many ways. You can criticise Apple for many things - but technological progress is really the last one which comes to my mind.
I totally agree with you, they have been the only company who has consistently come up with new ideas and been trend setters for a long time. Just in the last few years though, they haven't really introduced anything and just been updating or modifying their current lineup. I guess the public in general has been spoiled by Apple with their constant introduction of interesting products over the years.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:04 PM   #27
leman
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMKB24 View Post
I totally agree with you, they have been the only company who has consistently come up with new ideas and been trend setters for a long time. Just in the last few years though, they haven't really introduced anything and just been updating or modifying their current lineup. I guess the public in general has been spoiled by Apple with their constant introduction of interesting products over the years.
Could you clarify a bit what you mean by 'last few years'? In 2012 they released a next-gen laptop (retina MBP) and a dramatically improved AIO desktop (2012 iMac). Both these machines are significant improvements over their previous versions. Or do mean that you would like to see some sort of new product altogether? I am afraid I still don't understand you...
leman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:31 PM   #28
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
Could you clarify a bit what you mean by 'last few years'? In 2012 they released a next-gen laptop (retina MBP) and a dramatically improved AIO desktop (2012 iMac). Both these machines are significant improvements over their previous versions. Or do mean that you would like to see some sort of new product altogether? I am afraid I still don't understand you...
Yeah, the 2nd part.....no new products, just updating and upgrading and diversifying the current ones. Obviously they are nice as I usually buy the new ones every year and have had a rMBP already and thought it was great
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:20 PM   #29
luminouslight
macrumors regular

Quote:
Yeah, the 2nd part.....no new products, just updating and upgrading and diversifying the current ones. Obviously they are nice as I usually buy the new ones every year and have had a rMBP already and thought it was great
I'm sure they have something cooking up that will surface soon. Like the long rumored Apple TV, and I mean a display with built in apps n features who knows.
luminouslight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:18 AM   #30
Serban
macrumors 68020

Yes, apple should stick up with this products...not like Samsung who entered in every domain and in which build over and over hundreds . Apple is a premium company stills.
Serban is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:45 AM   #31
Mac32
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
At some point the rate of inventions will have to slow down. The last decade was a watershed period for Apple, and now they have fully developed phones, portable music players, ultraportables etc. Now we even have tablets/iPads. What more could Apple do really? They could start making hifi systems, musical instruments, motorbikes etc., but would we really want that? They should definately not get into more products, just keep on improving the ones they have. (Maybe we'll get that fully intergrated Apple TV?) IMO they have made a great job of continuously improving their products (MacBook Air, MacBook Retina, new iMac). Some people just love to complain..
Mac32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:22 AM   #32
leman
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac32 View Post
They could start making hifi systems, musical instruments, motorbikes etc.
No, thank you, I'd rather stay with Honda
leman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:22 AM   #33
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac32 View Post
What more could Apple do really? They could start making hifi systems, musical instruments, motorbikes etc., but would we really want that?
That same question came up over 10 years ago when Apple was trying to rebuild themselves, look where they are now.

Sadly the iPod Hi-fi was a failure. Audio systems just aren't as popular as they used to be, either for the home or car. Many people are looking more for audio solutions that take up little zero space and car companies are upping their game year after year with better factory audio systems which is better for the customer anyway in regards to theft as thieves generally aren't attracted to stealing factory systems so much as aftermarket systems.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:35 AM   #34
Mac32
macrumors 6502a

True enough..

I'm just worried that Apple ends up doing too much. However, I'm sure Apple has some cool stuff up their sleeves that we have no idea about..and that we're gonna totally dig.
Mac32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac