iOS 7 battery life better than iOS 6? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Aug 4, 2013, 05:26 PM   #1
Osullivan1
macrumors regular

iOS 7 battery life better than iOS 6?

So after just under a week of using beta 4, I've come to the conclusion that battery life on iOS7 is better than on iOS6.

A day using iOS6 on my iPhone 5 would usually leave the battery on around 30-40% depending on how much I used it.

However on iOS7 (beta 4) my battery life seems to be greatly improved. Not once this week has my battery fallen below 50%, and today when I plugged it into charge it was on 66%.

I reckon the fact that I have Reduced Motion turned on is partly the reason, but has anyone else found that battery life is better than iOS6?
Osullivan1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Jakimo
macrumors 6502

I've already posted about this, but yes. Battery life in beta 4 with zero battery saving tricks is better than all previous betas and iOS 6.

I wasn't expecting that at all...
Jakimo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2013, 05:44 PM   #3
batting1000
macrumors 601

Well lucky you, because many of us are still experiencing battery life which is worse than 6.1.4.
batting1000 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2013, 07:32 PM   #4
philfry
macrumors member

I actually got 10 hours of usage with 12 hours standby on the latest full charge on ios 7. I think that's pretty decent.
philfry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2013, 09:26 PM   #5
Campbellot
macrumors member

Not even close. Battery life is MISERABLE on 7b4. Lucky if I get 5 hours usage and that is with a completely clean install.
Campbellot is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 01:50 AM   #6
Luuthian
macrumors member

It depends on a number of factors and what services you have turned on or off. I get excellent battery life on my Beta 4 iPhone 5 but everyone's mileage will vary.

Regardless, if you don't have a bunch of auto updates and push notifications turned on, you can expect equal, if not better, better performance compared to iOS6 in iOS7.

I think that's a pretty damn good accomplishment when you consider all the new features. And it's even better if the leaks are correct and the new iPhone will indeed have a battery with a 10% increase in size.
Luuthian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 02:06 AM   #7
alanjfrancis
macrumors newbie

I am at my caravan without service at the moment. Only having wifi. Usually I'd have had to place the phone in airplane mode or suffer dreadful power drain of about 60 % overnight while my phone would continually search if a signal on iOS 6. On iOS7 it's much improved. Since yesterday afternoon until this morning, airplane mode has been off and my phone constantly searching fir a signal. I still have 69% battery life left. 😃
alanjfrancis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 02:57 AM   #8
Gymgenius
macrumors regular

Yes, mine is way better than 6.1.4.

There's no turning back for me now - love iOS7
Gymgenius is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 03:23 AM   #9
Jakimo
macrumors 6502

Now that I read a bit more, I do have some things off that may be battery saving:

I don't push any mail, I have it Fetch every 30. All auto-updates and auto-downloads are off.

I don't use constant-on Location using apps - like Google Now, Dropbox auto-upload, etc.

I don't allow non-essential apps into the Notifications center, but nearly all apps have at least Banners swinging and the more serious ones have Alerts.

That's about it! Nothing else is restricted, as I do want a full experience. I'm amazed at the battery life, and I'm impressed with the quick progress Apple has made so far.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 05:33 AM   #10
Osullivan1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakimo View Post
Now that I read a bit more, I do have some things off that may be battery saving:

I don't push any mail, I have it Fetch every 30. All auto-updates and auto-downloads are off.

I don't use constant-on Location using apps - like Google Now, Dropbox auto-upload, etc.

I don't allow non-essential apps into the Notifications center, but nearly all apps have at least Banners swinging and the more serious ones have Alerts.

That's about it! Nothing else is restricted, as I do want a full experience. I'm amazed at the battery life, and I'm impressed with the quick progress Apple has made so far.
Yeah, I'm the same as this, plus using Reduce Motion, but I used all these same settings (minus Reduce Motion obviously) in iOS 6 and my battery life is still way better than 6. Very happy with how iOS 7 is progressing!
Osullivan1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 07:01 AM   #11
tarasis
macrumors 6502

It was better under B1-3, B4 has been draining quickly on iPhone for me.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 08:56 AM   #12
batting1000
macrumors 601

I have the same things turned off as you guys and my battery on 6.1.4 is still better than what I get with beta 4.
batting1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 04:38 PM   #13
C DM
macrumors G3

As always, beta or not, iOS 7 or not, battery life is often different for different people and even at different times and different places.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 04:42 PM   #14
iapplelove
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakimo View Post
I've already posted about this, but yes. Battery life in beta 4 with zero battery saving tricks is better than all previous betas and iOS 6.

I wasn't expecting that at all...
No way does b4 give better battery life than a polished ios6. It's not even better than b3
iapplelove is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 04:45 PM   #15
batting1000
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by iapplelove View Post
No way does b4 give better battery life than a polished ios6. It's not even better than b3
This. I don't understand how people are getting battery life better than iOS 6. I'm not doing anything special

Last edited by batting1000; Aug 5, 2013 at 04:54 PM.
batting1000 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 04:48 PM   #16
Lyons00
macrumors 6502

Mine is better on 7.0 beta 4!
Lyons00 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 05:27 PM   #17
NovemberWhiskey
macrumors 65816

I've been on iOS 6 (all versions) and 7b1, and 7b4.

here is my ranking:

ios 6.1.4 > 7b4 >>>>> 7b1
NovemberWhiskey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 09:21 PM   #18
jbenkelman
macrumors regular

Beta 4 is AMAZING on my battery. I have never been able to really get full usage out of my phone for an entire day. Bought a battery case and everything to solve that problem.

Beta 4 retired the case. I can go the entire day, and usually still be above the 20% by the time I plug into the wall.

Normal day of usage

Normal social media usage (twitter, fb, Instagram)

If I'm driving I've been using the maps app just to see the changes.

Most days an hour at the gym. Music and nike running all going for the majority of the time.

Not too crazy with texting but it's a part of each day obviously.

Email is not set to push but I do check it and send out multiple a day.

Loving iOS 7 beta 4 battery life! I hope this is signs of an amazing GM battery life.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iapplelove View Post
Yes way. HUGE difference. No comparison really.
jbenkelman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 09:35 PM   #19
Nanasaki
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osullivan1 View Post
So after just under a week of using beta 4, I've come to the conclusion that battery life on iOS7 is better than on iOS6.

A day using iOS6 on my iPhone 5 would usually leave the battery on around 30-40% depending on how much I used it.

However on iOS7 (beta 4) my battery life seems to be greatly improved. Not once this week has my battery fallen below 50%, and today when I plugged it into charge it was on 66%.

I reckon the fact that I have Reduced Motion turned on is partly the reason, but has anyone else found that battery life is better than iOS6?
I think it largely depends on people and how people using their phones. For me, i haven't notice too much of battery difference. When I am using iPad, i follow my usual usage pattern, book reading, web broswing, watching video online. For most party, battery life isn't changed much.

Other reason that I don't notice much change is because I always keep my iPad pluged most of time. I have habbit of plug in when it reach to 50%. I cannot let my iPad below 50% of battery for some unexplianed reason.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:49 PM   #20
Jakimo
macrumors 6502

Interesting, according to this article's logic Push takes less battery than Fetch in many cases:

http://www.cultofmac.com/238746/fetc...very-ios-tips/
Old Aug 6, 2013, 01:24 AM   #21
emckai
macrumors regular

In my opinion the whole battery issue seems to be a mentality issue. There are some who may truly have problems with their battery life but the rest might be using their phones more than usual. iOS 7 is something new and everyone wants to use it constantly because.. Well it's something new!
I'm getting the same battery life on iOS 6 and iOS 7. If you use your phone the same way then your battery will most likely last the same as iOS 6. Once again , that's my opinion
emckai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 01:49 AM   #22
Switchback666
macrumors 65816

My only gripe is my 4s its going off at 10% most of the time i do notice better battery life considering i have my brightness a but higher plus 5 emails pushing and a damm load of push apps.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 11:39 PM   #23
janjua43
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchback666 View Post
My only gripe is my 4s its going off at 10% most of the time i do notice better battery life considering i have my brightness a but higher plus 5 emails pushing and a damm load of push apps.
develop the habit of fully charging and discharging ur phone then it wont go off before 1 or 2%
janjua43 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Tags
battery life, improved, ios 7 beta 4