Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkrull

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
On developer drivers, pending windows updates and system refreshes...

...In the zip file is a directory, DisplayAudio. Extract that out. Go to Windows Device Manager and select the "High Definition Audio Device" that cannot start and go to Update Driver, and point it to the DisplayAudio directory. It should then update the drivers...

So I was really looking forward to trying the new Intel audio driver.

Unfortunately my machine had the issue of pending "windows updates" that would always continually attempt to reinstall, fail and then restart the machine. I noticed that there were sixteen "pending updates" that never finished. Every few days there were at least four that would attempt reinstall themselves. One was frequently an Intel HD4000 driver. In attempting to fix the perpetual update my machine now bluescreens on boot. There were several recommended fixes on the net changing registry entries that I couldn't find. Several for renaming files (like pending.xml and cleanup.xml) which I tried and one Microsoft .net cleaner (since many of the pending restart updates were related to patches of .net versions). That is all I can think of.

I can boot into safe mode. There are no recently installed programs or recent updates to undo. I am not able to do a system rollback.

Any ideas? Anyone done a system refresh yet?

Last edited:

gophermobile

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
kkrull - I just went through the Windows update process on the new Win8 install, and have done so several times while re-installing Win8 on my MBA, never had an issue with any of the updates but it's also never tried to update any drivers on me either.

As for workarounds, you could try temporarily disabling Windows update to see if that would remove the pending updates.

I've reinstalled Win8 on this machine several times now (initially using the release preview and just recently the final version) so it may be worth a shot. Just as a note, I am not running OSX / Win8 dual boot, I'm solely running Win8 with the SSD wiped of all OSX partitions, installing EFI from USB installation.

redcolumbia

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
kkrull - I just went through the Windows update process on the new Win8 install, and have done so several times while re-installing Win8 on my MBA, never had an issue with any of the updates but it's also never tried to update any drivers on me either.

As for workarounds, you could try temporarily disabling Windows update to see if that would remove the pending updates.

I've reinstalled Win8 on this machine several times now (initially using the release preview and just recently the final version) so it may be worth a shot. Just as a note, I am not running OSX / Win8 dual boot, I'm solely running Win8 with the SSD wiped of all OSX partitions, installing EFI from USB installation.

Hi gophermobile,

So you were able to do a UEFI install of Windows 8 on your macbook air 2012 without any issues?
Just used the audio drivers from the intel drivers and it worked (you get working audio)?

How about Intel graphics acceleration? Do you get graphics acceleration or no (i.e. can you play games like starcraft that require graphics acceleration on the HD4000)?

Can you tell me what post/method you used to do the whole installation? Which thread did you use as instructions?

I have the exact same laptop as you (MBA, 2012) but I can't get the audio working, and my gfx is non-accelerated.

kkrull

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
New Firmware Today

I notice there is a firmware update today for a battery issue. Sometimes Apple slips other fixes in these updates, so I am curious if anyone tries this or the Intel developer drivers to get audio working on the rMBP.

As for my windows update loop turned "blue screen" saga, system refresh has trashed my system. My biggest loss will be my multiple mail account settings in Outlook 2013, which took forever to configure. If anyone knows how to extract these settings I would appreciate advice before I reinstall.

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
Hi,

A few days ago I found some interesting thing here : http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/printfriendly2367-12.htm

They use the tools "Setup 1.x" http://egpu.maeth.net/faq.htm#f1 in order to re-allocate pci memory in order to avoid the desactivation of the graphic card by windows because of the lack of ressources.

Maybe the memory re-allocation could solve also the audio problem.

Anyway it could be an interesting way to investigate like folowing the thread locate here https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/696523/

Thanks for your audience.

gophermobile

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Hi gophermobile,

So you were able to do a UEFI install of Windows 8 on your macbook air 2012 without any issues?
Just used the audio drivers from the intel drivers and it worked (you get working audio)?

How about Intel graphics acceleration? Do you get graphics acceleration or no (i.e. can you play games like starcraft that require graphics acceleration on the HD4000)?

Can you tell me what post/method you used to do the whole installation? Which thread did you use as instructions?

I have the exact same laptop as you (MBA, 2012) but I can't get the audio working, and my gfx is non-accelerated.

Well it did need the workaround I mentioned on page 2 to get the Thunderbolt / HDMI audio out working properly. Other than that though it worked fairly well.

I don't really remember where I learned how to do it originally, but here are the rough steps I took to get it working:

I have a copy of Win8 Pro on a USB key. I'm not sure how you'd do it if booting from an external CD/DVD, but I imagine it'd be similar.

1) Boot up the MBA while holding the "Option" key

2) Select the option to boot from USB (make sure you have the USB drive attached)

3) Go through the Windows installation process and when it comes to selecting drives / partitions, delete all partitions associated with OSX and let Windows setup it's own new partitions. (You could do this differently if you wanted to dual boot but I just want Windows)

4) Once Windows is installed, first thing I do is install Bootcamp 4. Win8 has a funky issue where you can't change Bootcamp settings in control panel from an administrative account (let's say Account A), you have to create a secondary admin account (account B). Set A to be a non-admin, then you can change the bootcamp settings. Switch back to account B and set A to admin again, then log back into A and you should have your correct bootcamp settings. You can then remove account B.

5) At this point I install the DisplayAudio driver from Intel I mention at the end of Page 2 of this thread.

That's how I got all devices to work properly. There's still a few hiccups here and there like the keyboard backlight being wonky, but I just shut that off. Also note that you can improve battery life to near OSX levels by going into the advanced power management and changing a lot of the settings to maximize battery life.

Let me know if there's any other questions.

kkrull

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
I am curious if anyone tried the 10.8.3 update today.

redcolumbia

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
Well it did need the workaround I mentioned on page 2 to get the Thunderbolt / HDMI audio out working properly. Other than that though it worked fairly well.

I don't really remember where I learned how to do it originally, but here are the rough steps I took to get it working:

I have a copy of Win8 Pro on a USB key. I'm not sure how you'd do it if booting from an external CD/DVD, but I imagine it'd be similar.

1) Boot up the MBA while holding the "Option" key

2) Select the option to boot from USB (make sure you have the USB drive attached)

3) Go through the Windows installation process and when it comes to selecting drives / partitions, delete all partitions associated with OSX and let Windows setup it's own new partitions. (You could do this differently if you wanted to dual boot but I just want Windows)

4) Once Windows is installed, first thing I do is install Bootcamp 4. Win8 has a funky issue where you can't change Bootcamp settings in control panel from an administrative account (let's say Account A), you have to create a secondary admin account (account B). Set A to be a non-admin, then you can change the bootcamp settings. Switch back to account B and set A to admin again, then log back into A and you should have your correct bootcamp settings. You can then remove account B.

5) At this point I install the DisplayAudio driver from Intel I mention at the end of Page 2 of this thread.

That's how I got all devices to work properly. There's still a few hiccups here and there like the keyboard backlight being wonky, but I just shut that off. Also note that you can improve battery life to near OSX levels by going into the advanced power management and changing a lot of the settings to maximize battery life.

Let me know if there's any other questions.

Hi gophermobile,

I tried what you said and I'm having a couple of issues.

I downloaded the intel driver package, and tried to use device manager to update the drivers to the DisplayAudio folder. It only says this:

Windows has determined that you are already using the most up to date drivers.

And then it won't update to the display audio driver.

How did you get it to update? I tried uninstalling the driver, but it won't remove it (currently points to hdaudbus.sys). I gave permission control to delete the driver hdaudbus.sys and tried to point it to DisplayAudio and it still won't work.

How did you do it? Exactly.

Also, thunderbolt, how did you enable that as well?

amenoera

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2009
hello everybody ,

here is my story , first I have MacBook pro 2011 (i7,2.7ghz,8gRam,256 vertex 4 ssd in main slot + 500hdd hitachi in dvd place ) . need to mention that main slot is sata 3 6gb/s capable .

1ST scenario : * install mountain lion 10.8.3
* create a second partition with 80gb
* make usb flash bootable with windows 8 .
* convert the disk to gpt without losing data using(gptfdisk) >>>( so windows 8 can b e installed "it must be GPT")
* power up & hold alt and select efi boot
* install windows 8 in efi mode
* install bootcamp 5 including drivers
* everything work including ahci + vga + sleep + trackpad + bootcamp control panel . excep (sound . .. showing in device manager as "High Definition Audio Controller" >>> "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C20&SUBSYS_72708086&REV_05"
* boot windows in around 8 - 15 second
*screenshot is attached

* for 2nr scenario I removed the 500hdd and put back my dvd .

2ND scenario : * install mountain lion 10.8.3
*running boot camp and prepare a second partition for windows 8 .
* insert windows 8 and proceed with normal installation .
* after finishing install windows 8 setup bootcamp
* everything working like it show be (yes everything) but no AHCI .
* windows boot instantly (about 1 or 2 seconds) .
* trying to patch mbr to activate ahci and yes its activated but sleep not working .

Finally , I tried every possible method / driver / trick without any help , and read that this is an Efi issue .
all I need is ( AHCI enabled + Sleep working + Sound ) is there is any solution for such this problem even in future ?

Thanks & Best Regards .

cool_recep

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2017
Sorry to bump and old thread but one our users is also having the same problem. He is now using Windows 10 1703 but the sound issue persists.

Device IDs:

Code:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E20&SUBSYS_72708086&REV_04
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E20&SUBSYS_72708086
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E20&CC_040300
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E20&CC_0403

Device is Macbook Pro 9.2

I have downloaded Bootcamp 6 with brigadier, extracted the CirrusAudioCS4206x64 driver and installed, install fine but still no sound.

Code 10:

1.PNG

Could you please help? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.