Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old May 22, 2012, 05:21 PM   #1
swwack91
macrumors 6502a

Alternatives to Toast Titanium

Hi folks!

I work in the TV/film world and a power-user CD/DVD burning application is a must for me. I've been using Toast for a while and recently reformatted my computer. Before reinstalling Toast, I figured I would take the chance to look for some alternatives.

Toast's feature set is hard to match, but it's always been really clunky for me. It crashes from time to time and is just overall sluggish.

Any good alternatives with similarly powerful features?
swwack91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 05:09 PM   #2
Pyrotechnic
macrumors regular

Although I don't work in TV, I am at the stage where installing decent general DVD and CD burning software has raised its head. I have done a search but not really found anything that helps me to either download or purchase. Toast 11 seems a common one with mixed views, but is quite expensive.

Any recommendations please.?
Old Aug 5, 2012, 09:43 AM   #3
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

Try "Burn", or "Simply Burns".

There is (or was) "DragonBurn".
Fishrrman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2012, 06:35 PM   #4
Pyrotechnic
macrumors regular

Thank you for your reply. I shall have a look at those. Thank you.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 02:27 PM   #5
DrakkenWar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to DrakkenWar Send a message via Yahoo to DrakkenWar Send a message via Skype™ to DrakkenWar
2nd for Simply

I used toast for years, as far back as my os 8.6-9 days. I agree, great program but stoggie as all get out for an intuitive layout to me. Could not really get used to it. I don't recall when I first found Simply Burns, but for me (a pretty heavy user of .iso's, remasters, physical media archives etc) it's wonderful and the best part? It's free. So all and all it's pretty hard to beat that!

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/19778/simplyburns

Defiantly take a look, let us know how it stacks up to you.

2011 Mini i7/4GB/1TB/10.7.3PBG4/15"/1.5/320GB/10.5.8iPhone 3GS 16GB
DrakkenWar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2013, 06:39 AM   #6
henryseiden
macrumors newbie

My 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakkenWar View Post
I used toast for years, as far back as my os 8.6-9 days. I agree, great program but stoggie as all get out for an intuitive layout to me. Could not really get used to it. I don't recall when I first found Simply Burns, but for me (a pretty heavy user of .iso's, remasters, physical media archives etc) it's wonderful and the best part? It's free. So all and all it's pretty hard to beat that!

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/19778/simplyburns

Defiantly take a look, let us know how it stacks up to you.
Thanks for the tip, DrakkenWar. There is also the freeware "Burns", but your recommendation is higher rated.

For anyone out there needing to edit or customize the metadata, I found Subler (Donorware) exceptionally easy and user friendly. Allows any editing or format changes to media's metadata, like Kind (Movie, Home Video, etc.) also, inclusion/exclusion of tracks, reformatting of video or audio, saving sets of settings for multiple disc copies.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:53 AM   #7
G8AMB
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to G8AMB
Any more views on this

I have just put an SSD in my MacBook and done a fresh install to clear out the old. I am planning to move to Mavericks when it arrives.

I was about to upgrade from Roxio Toast 10 to 11, but looking at the Roxio website it is only suitable for up to 10.7?

I believe that Mavericks is 10.9, so I am thinking that Toast has joined iDVD in being left behind.

I had a look at the App Store and there seems to be loads of DVD software it it is very difficult to sort the good from the bad.

I am looking for something to burn home recorded video to DVD with nice looking functional menus.

Any suggestions as to software which is still being maintained please?

I still have a copy of iDVD but ideally want something that is still under development.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:03 AM   #8
Macman45
macrumors G5

Simply will not do BRD's though. Toast will along with:

http://www.dvdfab.com/blu-ray-creator.htm

I can't vouch for the quality, but I've been toying with the idea of getting it...cheaper than Roxio as well.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 04:48 AM   #9
SpinalTap
macrumors regular

I use iMedia Converter for Mac - and Byte Copy - from PavTube, which burns DVD and Bluray.

http://www.pavtube.com/imedia-converter-mac/
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:56 AM   #10
spda242
macrumors member

Been using "Burn" since I found it, very lightweight, dead simple, no fuzz, No bloat!

http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html
spda242 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:46 AM   #11
an-other
macrumors member

Longtime Toast User

I've been using Toast since it was freeware provided in cd drives around the time of the original iMac.

It's become increasingly worse since around Version 8. I'm up-to-date with 11, and it is bloatware, at times annoyingly awkward, and somewhat unstable. There's also been some recent history with Roxio being on the back foot when OS updates have occurred leaving some software features unusable. The additional programs bundled with Toast follow a similar pattern if not more so. The limitations with the Tivo features are beyond annoying.

The video conversion quality has increasingly lagged behind other options (such as handbrake/visualhub), and often takes significantly more time (hours versus minutes) in some situations.

It's a great example of Sick Boy's unifying theory of life, particularly when commenting on Lou Reed.

I've used the Claris Product Discribe which is a little leaner, but not much better. It also has an annoying copy protection scheme (for the software program) that packs in every so often requiring about an hour of work using their user-unfriendly website. I returned to Toast after it added the capability to burn multiple cd's simultaneously.

I'll be testing Burn as I'd love to uncover a good alternative.
an-other is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 09:41 AM   #12
phickers
macrumors newbie

Toast 11 and Mavericks

I just checked the Roxio website for updates and they have posted update 11.2 for mavericks compatibility. I have not installed it yet (downloading now). Just to let you know.
phickers is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store