Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

APPLEFAN8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
NJ/GA/FL
Ever since I've been doing the latest update, texting and little things kill it so fast. Yes I quit multi-tasking, turn off blue-tooth and wi-fi when i'm traveling on the road. Like at the gym today in an hour it went down 25% just from playing music and nothing else running. Any ideas? Thanks

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Pretty sure he meant "are you talking about iOS 7 beta?"

thats what i assumed, but he sounds awfully clueless about it. someone that updates to 7 beta, does so intentionally because they wanted to and knows what they are doing. this makes me think its an update to 6.1.3 or 4 or was an app update. OP check the settings about screen and let us know what ios version youre running.

it all boils down to the usual issue, OP doesnt elaborate enough for us to help them.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Do a hard reset and see if that stops a rogue process. You can get free system monitor apps and find out if something is running the CPU inappropriately and consuming the battery.

APPLEFAN8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
NJ/GA/FL
thats what i assumed, but he sounds awfully clueless about it. someone that updates to 7 beta, does so intentionally because they wanted to and knows what they are doing. this makes me think its an update to 6.1.3 or 4 or was an app update. OP check the settings about screen and let us know what ios version youre running.

it all boils down to the usual issue, OP doesnt elaborate enough for us to help them.

I'm running 6.1.4 but i'll look into a free system monitor app.

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia
This happened after you upgraded from 6.1.3 to 6.1.4 or...

Because I had battery issue a while ago and I thought it was the system as I didn't change any about the way I use my phone. However, turned out, it was because of the updated Facebook and facebook messenger app. I'm not sure what's wrong with the new version, but they seem to use a lot of battery when it's running in the background. If you are using Facebook or Facebook messenger or both and have updated it, that could contribute to the issue you are having.

After I started to kill Facebook and Facebook messenger in background after every use, my phone's battery life now is back to how it was before. Couldn't be happier! If killing off your background processes doesn't help, you might wanna take it in for service.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
If he is with AT&T they just forwarded an update late last week. Could be he's referring to that and if so, not sure how or why that would slow down his iPhone.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Kill the facebook app entirely, don't use it for a few days. See what gives.

I started doing this last week. I manually close the FB app once I'm done using it. My battery life has improve (although not significantly). But I definitely see a difference.

APPLEFAN8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
NJ/GA/FL
Thanks for all the input, for some reason when i'm texting and check my system monitor its at 100% then jumps back down to 51%, when I quit out of everything and check the app it says i'm using 51% but everything is closed in the background. No clue what to do. Listened to music at the gym today, dropped 45% in an hour 15. Thanks again

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Turn off location services. That's usually the battery killer for most people IMO.

kmpoboy2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Alabama
Thanks for all the input, for some reason when i'm texting and check my system monitor its at 100% then jumps back down to 51%, when I quit out of everything and check the app it says i'm using 51% but everything is closed in the background. No clue what to do. Listened to music at the gym today, dropped 45% in an hour 15. Thanks again

Restore it as new not from back up and use it like that for a few days to see how it works. If it is ok, then restore from back up and see if the problem returns.

Mine did a similar thing, it would be at 35% for a while and suddenly went down to 5 or even 1%. After, it started to shut off at 12%. I re-calibrated the battery but it only worked after the first full charge.

I ended up swapping it at a Genius bar because the home button got loose, but when I explained the genius about the battery problem he told me that it wasn't right and if the replacement one started to behave similar that most likely that my back up was corrupted and needed to restore as new.

APPLEFAN8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
NJ/GA/FL
Restore it as new not from back up and use it like that for a few days to see how it works. If it is ok, then restore from back up and see if the problem returns.

Mine did a similar thing, it would be at 35% for a while and suddenly went down to 5 or even 1%. After, it started to shut off at 12%. I re-calibrated the battery but it only worked after the first full charge.

I ended up swapping it at a Genius bar because the home button got loose, but when I explained the genius about the battery problem he told me that it wasn't right and if the replacement one started to behave similar that most likely that my back up was corrupted and needed to restore as new.

Yeah it's weird my battery dies at like 15% sometimes even 18%, no clue why.

kmpoboy2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Alabama
Yeah it's weird my battery dies at like 15% sometimes even 18%, no clue why.

My best advised to you it's to take it to warranty service and get it replace. That 18% shut down its not normal and mine didn't get solve with restores nor calibrations.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
I had battery issues as well, I had my battery replaced at the Apple Store.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Why wait? It takes about 30 minutes.

He might live several hours from the closest Apple Store, not really something you want to waste a day doing during your final weeks of school with exams coming up ;)

APPLEFAN8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
NJ/GA/FL
So I downloaded another activity; somehow there are 57-59 processes running at one time. They're called like "mobile_assertion" or "quicklookd", I have never heard of these or what they're running in cause everything is closed. Thanks

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
So I downloaded another activity; somehow there are 57-59 processes running at one time. They're called like "mobile_assertion" or "quicklookd", I have never heard of these or what they're running in cause everything is closed. Thanks

Your individual apps are far from the only processes running. The OS has to run system-wide tasks all the time. I echo earlier comments with regard Apple service and/or battery service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.