Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drtanz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
I seem to be having very frequent hanging on my Macbook air, and see the spinning colour wheel way too often. I am a fast user and typically have a few windows open apart from my IDE and local server, but not much else. I only occasionally use known memory hogs such as Photoshop, so I don't attribute this to them.

I'm on OS X 10.8.3 and processor 2Ghz i7 with 8GB ram, one of the best models, so I was expecting a smoother performance.

Anything I should be on the lookout for?

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
I seem to be having very frequent hanging on my Macbook air, and see the spinning colour wheel way too often. I am a fast user and typically have a few windows open apart from my IDE and local server, but not much else. I only occasionally use known memory hogs such as Photoshop, so I don't attribute this to them.

I'm on OS X 10.8.3 and processor 2Ghz i7 with 8GB ram, one of the best models, so I was expecting a smoother performance.

Anything I should be on the lookout for?

Run up Activity Monitor and see if you can spot a resource hog that way.

thats usually where I start - tho I also often keep a little window with htop running to monitor things. Activity Monitor is your best friend here.

Might want to run a Verify Permissions in Disk Utility also as sometimes a simple permission fudge can cause mayhem....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.