Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Have you seen some of the horrendous (and pointless) spoilers people put on their cars? :eek:

I hear you though. While I wouldn't personally invest the money or effort into mods like this, I don't question why they're done. Obviously the owner thinks it looks nice.

Yes I have and I think it does look horrendous. But people are gonna do what they do. Why question something that doesn't affect you right. I personally think OPs phone looks pretty nice like that tho.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Why don't you understand it? Do you ask this same question when people mod their car?

I suppose I would ask the same question, to me it is a value thing and not personal, if I am not going to get anything back in return, like resale, why bother spending all that money.

I do get that some people like the custom applications, I just do not understand the hassle and expenses one goes thru.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I suppose I would ask the same question, to me it is a value thing and not personal, if I am not going to get anything back in return, like resale, why bother spending all that money.

I do get that some people like the custom applications, I just do not understand the hassle and expenses one goes thru.

People just have money to burn. To them it's not a hassle.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
and apple wont notice its been opened rebuilt?

Some people claim they will. I am not so sure. The amount of checking they generally do at the apple store only goes as far as
Looking if the water sensors have been tripped. Unlike some machines that have a "void if tampered with" sticker or some other such mechanism, I don't believe the iPhone ever has.

hockeyman94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
California
Some people claim they will. I am not so sure. The amount of checking they generally do at the apple store only goes as far as
Looking if the water sensors have been tripped. Unlike some machines that have a "void if tampered with" sticker or some other such mechanism, I don't believe the iPhone ever has.

I can vouch the iPhone doesnt have any void if tampered or security tape on the inside from what I found. In previous models though such as the 3g and 3gs did along with the 4 & 4s although it was hidden.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I really do not understand why people do this, although it looks nice a lot of folks put there phones in cases, and the other problem if you have to have your phone replaced by Apple, you will have wasted this money if Apple will even cover your modified device?

He said numerous times that he has the original parts if he has to go to apple to get something fixed.

hockeyman94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
California
I'm trying to source one of these in the UK. What would you say the part is? The 'frame', 'back'... 'Case' or 'body'?

Here was the name on TVC-MALL

Plated Matte Metal iPhone 5 Back Cover w/ Middle Frame Side Buttons SIM Card Tray - Black / Red

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
I've posted this before but there is a company in the UK that offer this type of modification for your iPhone. You just send it off and they re skin it in a few days apparently. They are endorsed by Channel 5's 'Gadget Show' it seems too.

https://mendmyi.com/colourlab-v2/iphone/iphone-5/

I'm happy with mine in all white but for the individuals amongst you it might be of interest. :)

Thanks very much for that link! I'm tempted!

angelwings

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2013
Color swapped my iPhone 5 let me know what you think. The lighting is bad sorry if more people request to see it ill retake them

Pic #2

Pic #3

Wow, looks nice,

I do prefer Bronze too.

Gold obv looks good too!

$250 (£150 ish) is not that bad!

Will consider it for the 5S ^_^

Gotta stay ahead of the crowd :p

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.