Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2002
I'll try to check specific details tonight, but when I launched it the first time it said something like "auto-detect has put you on high quality"

It looks great, barely stutters. Granted it would probably be a hair smoother in boot camp but it's really damn good in parallels. Good enough that it's worth it to not have to reboot. Also it is a top of the line iMac, not sure if it would work as well with a less powerful machine. But even still I'm completely blown away.

----------

Whats your framerate cowboy?

If you tell me how to see what the framerate is I'll let you know in about 8 hours. Anecdotally, it's a good framerate I can tell you that much.

luminouslight

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Orlando FL
I've had nothing but bad luck with parallels it seems. Game crashes, errors, and this is with older games mind you. Might have to give it another shot.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
So please post again with the frame rate...so do you have the max out 21.5" or the 27 ?
Maybe you could upload a video to youtube playing skyrim :D and link to us that video

boat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2002
So please post again with the frame rate...so do you have the max out 21.5" or the 27 ?
Maybe you could upload a video to youtube playing skyrim :D and link to us that video

I can do that, does anyone know how to check the frame rate? Is it something built into the game or do I need a utility to do it? Also, it's a maxed out 27

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
You play Skyrim using Parallels? I used to be an adventurer like you...

(so glad the neg-rep button is gone:D)

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Just for comparison when I booted up skyrim in windows 7 bootcamp it detected at ultra settings and was perfect no lag or shuttering. 27inch 1tb 32gb ram and 680mx.

boat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2002
Just for comparison when I booted up skyrim in windows 7 bootcamp it detected at ultra settings and was perfect no lag or shuttering. 27inch 1tb 32gb ram and 680mx.

Yeah I'm sure. I only resorted to using parallels because of the "boot camp doesn't work with 3TB drives" ********.

ddarko71

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
NH

Now I'm worried. My new 27" (680MX, 3TB fusion i7) is on the way....didn't know about the bootcamp issue before I ordered it. I wonder...how much worse is the performance with Parallels vs bootcamp? And if I can't use BC, which alternative is better, Parallels or VMWare Fusion?

boat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2002
Now I'm worried. My new 27" (680MX, 3TB fusion i7) is on the way....didn't know about the bootcamp issue before I ordered it. I wonder...how much worse is the performance with Parallels vs bootcamp? And if I can't use BC, which alternative is better, Parallels or VMWare Fusion?

Well as I've been saying this whole time it's pretty good in Parallels. Also they're fixing the issue in the next OSX point update so no need to worry.

ddarko71

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
NH
Well as I've been saying this whole time it's pretty good in Parallels. Also they're fixing the issue in the next OSX point update so no need to worry.

Sounds good to me, I'll probably just wait for the update. Thanks!

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix

This is the reason why I didnt get 3tb or even 1tb fusion. You wont be using the ssd on the windows side anyways so any gaming performance gain is gone.

Kodo1670

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
Very impressiv! :)

How much cores do you give to Parallels? Which core activity is shown in MacOS' Activity Monitor while Parallels is running?

Thinking about which processor I will order. Pretty sure that neither my use of MacOS nor of BC justifys the i7, but maybe Parallels would benefit from it, in sense of having a quad core machine hostet by a quad core machine instead of a dual core by a dual core... :confused:

Or in other words: any owner of the i5/680MX who can tell if gaming under Parallels shows a similar performance with the i5?

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
On the new iMac you can play Skyrim in Parallels

Yeah I'm in love with my new maxed out iMac. I don't want to use windows but there's a couple of things I need it for. League of legends and 3d studio. Both works perfectly fine in Parallel. Lol on maxed out settings and I can work in 3d studio without any lag. Rendering is ok too. On my previous iMac I hated having to boot up windows for these few tasks... Now I can jump back and forth quickly - it feels great. And in fact it's better since parallel utilize the Mac keyboard so it's easier to get things to work properly in windows...and drivers and all is set up by parallel. Framerate and performance would of course be better in boot camp, but it's nothing I notice and its not worth re-booting for.

Kodo1670

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
Congratulations to your new machine! :)

But how could you know that the same machine with the i5 wouldn't give a similar performance? How does Parallels scale on the 4+4 cores at the ActivityMonitor?

The much better speed (attention, german technical term: SCHWUPPDIZITAET) of the new machine may also come from the SSD-like speed with FD.

To get benefits out of the HT-ability of the i7 the software has to take use of all this lanes (and has to be programmed not to good - if the code ist too efficient there is just no free moment for the HT to use and the "virtual" task just steals computing power from the "physical" task).

Aperture doesn't.
FCP does if you do rendering, not while actual editing.
Handbrake does.
iTunes doesn't.
Most games doesn't.
Photoshop doesn't, exept of a hand full of filters.

Does Parallels?
Forget about the software in the virtual machine. Windows in the VM knows nothing about the physical hardware of the Mac. Parallels is singing it nursery rhymes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.