Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:08 PM   #176
dmelgar
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAK View Post
Good questions! I'm guessing because it's an Apple product which means it's perfect.
Because its an Apple product everyone will complain about every real or imagined issue.
__________________
David's tech notes
dmelgar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:30 PM   #177
cynics
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljohn View Post
Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to name 3. I used to think there was no difference between apps for iOS and Android as well, but there is. Not only is the iOS Facebook app much faster, it has swipe gestures the Android version doesnt. Even the way it brings up a photo when you want to comment on it is different. You really need them side by side to compare.
I'm still confused. Why would you use the crappy watered down version of web apps on a full screen device? There is literally less functionality in app form. Could you imagine sitting down at a laptop (PC or Mac) and using a mobile app because the device has a battery? Of course not, why would you on a tablet?

This is my tapatalk and the other tabs are my Facebook and twitter....



I should care about my notifications more....lol
__________________
27" iMac (late 2013), iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Airport Extreme (6th Gen), assorted Android and Windows devices
cynics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:23 PM   #178
nStyle
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
I'm still confused. Why would you use the crappy watered down version of web apps on a full screen device? There is literally less functionality in app form. Could you imagine sitting down at a laptop (PC or Mac) and using a mobile app because the device has a battery? Of course not, why would you on a tablet?
Apps exist for web based services the same reason those services like Facebook offer mobile versions. Web devs don't usually create a universally beautiful experience for every device, hence the need for an app. Sure, the experience is acceptable, but its not the same as having a perfectly formatted version.

I've really never noticed any watered down features that I missed dearly in many apps. Of course, there are a few aberrations, such as eBay, where you can't add tracking numbers for sales. But for quick, on the go access, I'd much rather have a properly formatted experience.

I really don't know why I just took the time to explain that because it should of been obvious, but, I digress.
nStyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:47 PM   #179
cynics
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nStyle View Post
Apps exist for web based services the same reason those services like Facebook offer mobile versions. Web devs don't usually create a universally beautiful experience for every device, hence the need for an app. Sure, the experience is acceptable, but its not the same as having a perfectly formatted version.

I've really never noticed any watered down features that I missed dearly in many apps. Of course, there are a few aberrations, such as eBay, where you can't add tracking numbers for sales. But for quick, on the go access, I'd much rather have a properly formatted experience.

I really don't know why I just took the time to explain that because it should of been obvious, but, I digress.
Huh?

No. Web based apps exist to make a web page fit on a phone.

How have you not noticed any water down features!?! Delete/edit a comment in iOS on the FB app...that's so basic! How do you do ANYTHING in tapatalk!? Its missing everything! I hate twitter app, I use a different app to access twitter on my 4S.

List every web based app that looks and works better then their native web page?

Did you see the pic I posted? Let's compare again...

This....



Vs this...

__________________
27" iMac (late 2013), iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Airport Extreme (6th Gen), assorted Android and Windows devices
cynics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:14 PM   #180
michaeljohn
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
I'm still confused. Why would you use the crappy watered down version of web apps on a full screen device? There is literally less functionality in app form. Could you imagine sitting down at a laptop (PC or Mac) and using a mobile app because the device has a battery? Of course not, why would you on a tablet?

This is my tapatalk and the other tabs are my Facebook and twitter....

Image

I should care about my notifications more....lol
Yea, no thanks. I'll do what I do. Using the mobile version of this site right now on my iPhone 5. Works fine for me.
michaeljohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:46 PM   #181
cynics
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljohn View Post
Yea, no thanks. I'll do what I do. Using the mobile version of this site right now on my iPhone 5. Works fine for me.
No one cares about your iPhone. We are talking about tablets. Obviously a mobile version looks better on a phone, thank you, I said that a couple post up.

/back to topic
__________________
27" iMac (late 2013), iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Airport Extreme (6th Gen), assorted Android and Windows devices
cynics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:01 PM   #182
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post

Did you see the pic I posted? Let's compare again...
Ooo cynics, is that a Nexus 7? How did you get the full tablet UI? are you running a custom rom for that? What do you recommend?
SlCKB0Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
phones: Switching to Nexus 4 - My Experience slu Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 158 May 1, 2013 05:06 PM
My one week experience with a Nexus 4 gwerhart0800 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 21 Feb 7, 2013 12:26 PM
My Experience with the Nexus 4 and iPhone 5 WindWaker Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 59 Dec 3, 2012 11:29 PM
Rumored Google Nexus 10 compared to iPad--what about apps? Broadus iPad 7 Oct 28, 2012 05:01 AM
tablets: Thoughts on the Nexus 7 - My experience so far... taeclee99 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 216 Aug 4, 2012 03:33 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC