Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Supposedly the ipad 5 will lose the side bezels and be 100 grams or so lighter. How significantly will this affect portability and how it feels in your hands?

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
I have a feeling that the iPad 5 is going to hit the same sweet spot that the mini did.

Because its so thin and light its going to be much easier to hold for long durations.

And because its narrower you can hold it in one hand.

At least I know I will be able to, maybe some smaller people or kids wont be able to.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Same as ipad mini.

Except heavier

----------

I don't think it's going to feel quite as nice as the Mini, but it'll feel more in between the current iPad Retina, and the iPad mini. Keep in mind, the full-sized iPad is more than double the weight of the Mini.....I doubt they're going to cut the weight in half, so it's never going to feel as good. It will be easier to handle one-handed this time aronud, because of the mini's design, but it's still going to be a lot heavier. The mini feels liek you're holding a note-book. The full-sized iPad feels like you're holding a binder (speaking about weight)

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Is it possible the ipad 5 will not have a smart case and only a Smart Cover as with the ipad mini?

jakham

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2013
Same question... One of the reason what I am no decision if I buy now iPad 4 and dont wait on iPad 5 is Smart case... Will have iPad 5 smart case, is it possible?

L T

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2013
UK
I don't think I will like the iPad 5 form factor, I have an iPad mini and I'm constantly begging my family to let me swap it with one of their iPad 2's. The mini is uncomfortable to hold and I hate the thin bezels.

Also, I am a big lover of the black front with aluminium back! If they go with the Black/Slate and White/Silver colours I will be horrified!

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I've been leaning on an iPad mini especially if it has a high res display. That would all change if the full size iPad can get close in weight and form factor. I still have an iPad 2 and iPad 3 and the weight doesn't really bother me too much although after holding it for sometime I do wish it were a little lighter.

I have the original Nexus 7 and passed on the 2nd gen as I was wanting the new iPad mini. I'll wait for reviews and comments on both. If the two products are released from enough apart I may get whatever comes out first. I do like the new look of the 5th gen iPad. :cool:

bdrake47

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2012
I have iPad New (3 ;)) and do a lot of book reading. Don't see any major reason to upgrade to the 4. But the 5 would be along my upgrade timeline path if it's released when predicted to. The weight doesn't really bother me, but lighter would be nice.

I'm undecided on the side bezel issue though, have not used a mini that much.

Does anyone that does a lot of reading on the mini find the lack of side bezels putting their thumb in the way?

AlterZgo

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011
Does anyone that does a lot of reading on the mini find the lack of side bezels putting their thumb in the way?

Yes. For me, the thin bezels on my mini makes reading one handed a chore... especially if trying to read while laying in bed or on a couch.

I really wish Apple would allow you to lock out most of the screen and place page turning buttons at the bottom or top. This would allow you to comfortably place your thumb on the screen without turning pages inadvertantly. It would also allow young kids to read with their finger touching the words without flipping pages. VERY easy fix Apple!!!

In the interim, I use a newertech gripstand which allows me to comfortably hold the mini from behind without touching the screen for extended periods.

bdrake47

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2012
Thanks!

Didn't mean to hijack thread, but I think this is still within realm of the OPs question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.