Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SendMoney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
Marietta GA
Can anyone please confirm if non-Apple SSD will work in the $1819 refurbished Mac Pro currently sold on the Apple website? It's the 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon MC560LL/A. I was on the phone with Crucial earlier and they said their SSDs would not work in that machine, which I thought was odd. I've read lots of posts on thie forum about cloning the OS/apps/etc over to an SSD, but is there something odd about what is currently being sold by Apple?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Can anyone please confirm if non-Apple SSD will work in the $1819 refurbished Mac Pro currently sold on the Apple website?
There's no such thing as an Apple SSD. Apple doesn't make SSDs. Any SSD will work, as long as it fits and connects.

SendMoney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
Marietta GA
Sorry if I was unclear. I'm gonna buy an Intel 520 or Crucial m4 (not Apple SSD) and put it in the Mac Pro's HDD or optical bay. I just thought that what Crucial told me was very odd.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Not sure why they would say that unless
a) the don't ship a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter with the SSD, which would be required to place it in the Mac Pro hard disk tray

b) OS X will not enable TRIM unless you have a genuine Apple SSD in there, and they think this will affect long-term performance. I highly doubt this is the case, however since other manufacturers list their drives as "Mac compatible."

Jake0604

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Looks like you have the MC560LL/A. Do you add an SSD?

I did buy the same refurb model listed in the op, and while I haven't added an ssd yet i do plan on it soon. Any SATA ssd should work, you just need a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter if you want it to fit in one of the hard drive bays.

SendMoney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
Marietta GA
Not sure why they would say that unless
a) the don't ship a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter with the SSD, which would be required to place it in the Mac Pro hard disk tray

b) OS X will not enable TRIM unless you have a genuine Apple SSD in there, and they think this will affect long-term performance. I highly doubt this is the case, however since other manufacturers list their drives as "Mac compatible."

From doing lots of reading on this forum, I think I understand the TRIM issue, the use of an IcyDock (or equivalent) if installed in a HDD bay, the use of Carbon Copy Cloner (or equivalent) to do the transfer.

I was just really thown for a loop by Crucial's comments.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Apple may stick their label on them, but I've never heard of any SSD manufactured by Apple. I'd be very interested to know if you have additional information to prove otherwise.

The place their firmware on all Apple OEM drives and they appear as Apple SSD in disk utility. When OS X sees this, it enables TRIM.

They are outsourced to other manufacturers, just like their computers, and they place their firmware and logo on them.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The place their firmware on all Apple OEM drives and they appear as Apple SSD in disk utility. When OS X sees this, it enables TRIM.

They are outsourced to other manufacturers, just like their computers, and they place their firmware and logo on them.
That's exactly what I thought. Thanks.

ClassObject

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2010

Ding ding! We have a winner!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.