Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Dec 11, 2009, 08:21 PM   #1
birdsong
macrumors newbie

Word to the wise: Never buy from MCE Tech

I made the decision to purchase an OptiBay from MCE Technologies so I could install an SSD for my boot drive in my MacBook Pro, and move my existing drive to the OptiBay. I opted to go with MCE Tech because they offered a free external enclosure for the SuperDrive I was removing. Apparently, the offer generated some sales, because the external enclosure ended up getting backordered. It would be nice if someone told me that, or returned emails when I sent them, but apparently that's too difficult for MCE Tech. Here is the last email I just sent them after a useless phone conversation with them. Buyer beware.

Quote:
Mr. XXX YYY,

Today, for the third time, I spoke with someone at MCE Tech regarding
my order. This is after my numerous emails having received no
response, and the responses to my phone calls have only been empty
promises. A quick summary of events:

On 2009-12-02, I received a shipment. I quickly noticed I was missing
the external enclosure that was supposed to come with my item (hard
drive enclosure for the optical bay in my MacBook Pro). There was no
explanation on the invoice or in any emails as to why the item was
missing. I promptly called your company to ask what happened. I was
informed the item was backordered, that someone should have told me
that, and the item was expected to ship the next day (2009-12-03). I
inquired if the item would be shipped 2nd day air since that's what I
paid for, and I was told it would. If the item was shipped as
promised, I should have received it on Monday, 2009-12-07. I did not.
Of course, I emailed asking where it was and if there was a tracking
number, and no one responded to me. I followed up with another email
on 2009-12-09. Naturally, no one responded to that either. I called
yesterday, 2009-12-10 and spoke with ZZZ. He said the item was
shipped and gave me the tracking number. Upon looking it up, I saw it
shipped on 2009-12-09 (6 days later than promised) and it was shipped
ground. I told him this was unacceptable and my shipping costs needed
to be refunded for the entire order. He informed me that this should
be possible, but the accounting department had left for the day. He
promised that the accounting department would call me today,
2009-12-11 by noon pacific time. Not surprisingly, no one called or
emailed me. When I spoke to ZZZ today, it was as if he had never
spoken to me yesterday. He briefly consulted with accounting and told
me the best you could do is refund half my shipping costs because half
of my order came on time.

I found this to be most comical. I haven't been able to use the part
of the order that came because I had no way of installing my operating
system once I replaced my hard drive. So, your product has been
useless to me thus far. It's evident that no one at your company cares
one bit about customer service, as you, ZZZ, and
orders@mcetech.com have been recipients of all my emails, and not one
of them has ever been replied to. You are a joke of a company, and by
now you probably can guess I will never be ordering anything from you
ever again. In addition, I will make sure many people hear about your
complete lack of customer service and inability to fulfill even the
simplest order in a proper manner.

Furthermore, since part of my order was not shipped in the method I
paid for and the part I received is unusable until I receive the
entire order, I will be filing a complaint with my credit card company
and reporting your fraud.
birdsong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 11:45 PM   #2
bblboy54
macrumors newbie

I recently placed an order with this company for an OptiBay expansion for my MacBook. My confirmation email said that I would receive an email with tracking number when my order shipped. A few days later I hadn't received anything so I emailed them but never heard back from them. A couple of days later my package arrived, however, it was missing the external enclosure that was listed on my order. I emailed them again and still have no response. The issue got worse when I opened up the OptiBay and put the CD in with the documentation only to find out that the CD doesn't contain the documentation for the MacBook that I ordered it for (and yes, I specified it at checkout like it asked). To make matters even worse they do not list ANY information on their website about these products which is quite a frustration.‎
bblboy54 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 09:20 AM   #3
oneshin
macrumors newbie

MCE Tech

I ordered a Blu-Ray device over a year ago -- first it took about 4 months to leave the factory.

Then it didn't work -- so I sent it back, they sent me another broken one. Then I took it down there -- they said it needed firmware. So I installed boot camp put in the firmware -- still broken.

Then I dropped it off -- and they said they'd test it. They said it worked - but they put a new ATA controller on it. They gave it to me - but forgot a cable.

so they send me the cable a week later, still doesn't work !

they are either completely incompetent or are scamsters.

anybody interested in some joint legal action against them contact me.
oneshin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 09:22 AM   #4
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshin View Post
they are either completely incompetent or are scamsters.
Or both.

Seeing this thread really makes me want to avoid them.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 03:24 AM   #5
amethyst15
macrumors newbie

I purchased an external slim DVD burner along with the OptiBay Enclosure for my laptop. (That was before they offered the free carrier option.) It never worked right from the start so I requested an RMA. It seems that none of their emails actually work because I sent several messages to various emails with no response. I seriously am beginning to think that either their email servers are badly configured or that they just ignore emails. As a last resort I responded to the yahoo email where the invoice was sent from and finally got a response. I was given RMA instructions and sent the item in but haven't gotten any status update or an item back. Their customer service seems to be almost nonexistent. I'm going to have to call them up on the phone and waste more time to find out what is going on. Buyer beware. If you have a problem with a purchase, you will have a hard time getting anything resolved. I don't want others to have to go through what I've gone through so far.
amethyst15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:40 PM   #6
gkarris
macrumors 604

I ordered a portable FW DVD burner from them and it's been awesome and the service was great - but that was probably at least 4 years ago...

Looks like things have changed - I clicked on some product links and the page is empty...
Old Feb 24, 2010, 09:30 AM   #7
Severisth
macrumors newbie

I purchased an Optibay for my 2008 MacBook Pro, along with an enclosure for the SuperDrive which was being removed. I also did not receive a confirmation that the order was shipped untli I emailed them. At that point, they responded with the confirmation and the delivery arrived the same day (on time). The SuperDrive enclosure was not backordered for me.

Looks like I'm one of the lucky ones.
Severisth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 11:37 PM   #8
jba256
macrumors newbie

Same deal.

Just received my MCE Optibay. No superdrive enclosure (which was the reason i went with the more expensive MCE chassis).

The build quality is also sub-par. The drive mounting screws (two on my model) are designed for tapered screw holes, but the holes on the optibay are not tapered, leaving the screws sticking out like an upside-down pyramid.

I'm likely going to have to send it back unless i machine the optibay myself (in order to flush the screws properly).

Wish i had read this thread earlier.
jba256 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:10 AM   #9
bionicmedia
macrumors newbie

Yes! Listen to these comments! Do not buy from mcetech!!!

I also found the "great deal" on the website and ordered an internal Blu Ray burner for my Mac Pro. I received it eventually but then found out it was missing the IDE adaptor. I emailed, several times, with no replies. I even emailed from different accounts in case they were going into a spam folder. After calling and expressing my concern the gentleman on the phone explained that he would quickly ship out the adaptor and apologized. I figured they were just really busy due to a great product.

Well, several weeks later, still nothing. I called back, assuming there was a mix up or something. He again assured me that they had been back ordered and he would send one out immediately. I asked him to confirm with a tracking number in an email. After several days, and no confirmation email, I called AGAIN. He was very apologetic still, but now I was realizing that he was just telling me what I wanted to hear to get me off the phone.

Now months, yes MONTHS, have gone buy and still no adaptor. The drive is essentially useless to me. I called back again very upset with the service. This time he had the audacity to tell me that since it had been more than 90 days he was no longer able to offer me service on my product!

Do not give these guys your money. I gave them SEVERAL chances to redeem themselves and they screwed me over.
bionicmedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 09:33 AM   #10
tripcat
macrumors newbie

Agree - STAY AWAY FROM MCE TECHNOLOGIES

I bought an OptiBay. Was very dissapointed after I received the product. It was cheap and flimsy and difficult to install because of the construction it is tough to reset the drive screws on the DVD slot side. And the external case - forget it, cheap, falls apart just really, poor construction. After going through that it would NOT recognize my drive no matter what I did. Sent it back, they replaced it...same thing. So far customer service as been OK. "Arnie" seemed responsive, however, I was assured no restocking fee (I have the emails). Everything made it back - both drives, parts accessories took pictures just in case etc. Confirmed everything made it back - no refund. It has been a month and still no refund (100$ down the drain). Subsequent emails no response, so now customer service is crap.

Want an example of a good company - OWC - they are awesome. Solid construction great help wonderful experience. Should have gone with my gut..but a friend recommended them and I trusted his opinion since I"m new to Apple.
tripcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:15 AM   #11
el residente
macrumors newbie

Strange atmosphere at MCE

At least you guys managed to actually receive something from MCE. I ordered the XCaret drive expansion for the Wallstreet at a bargain price (yes, I do still use a Wallstreet!). An email with an order number came back.

After waiting a month, I went through the above-mentioned process of trying to raise a response on e-mail, gave up and telephoned them. It was a somewhat surreal experience. The guy who answered sounded a bit sleepy and told me that I would not be getting this unit since there had been a burglary, as a result of which the units had disappeared!

Had this deal succeeded I would have been quite interested in an Optibay G4 for my Tibook, but I think it would be a waste of time asking. Oh well.
el residente is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:37 PM   #12
kevink2
macrumors 6502a

I received my BD drive about as fast as I expected. I didn't realize that the difference between the drive for the 2008 model and the 2009 model was an PATA adapter until I read it on this thread. I just thought it was a different model for $20 more, so I ordered the SATA version, and an adapter from another site (since I don't want to buy any additional PATA drives at this time

I am requesting my activation code for the player software. I'll see how this works. If it works, then it gives me the ability to watch BD movies on my MacBook Pro (and external drive). I have no need to watch BD movies on my Mac Pro (for which I bought the drive from MCETech) since I have a BD player on my TV.
kevink2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion