Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
Why we have to go back to PC? Why can't OS X be like what it used to be in past? Stable, reliable and intuitive to use!

----------

Yeah it did fix some bugs and it's a lot better to use compared to 10.8.2. However, the system hanging thing still remains. I have made clean installation of 10.8.3 last week, spoke with an Apple expert (who doesn't seem to have any idea on how to fix this problem). Maybe you're right that it's not a normal operation, but it's very annoying and I don't know how should I fix this..

They are not going to go back to stability like in the past.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
OSX is plenty stable, and weekly hangs aren't normal. Anyone getting crashes like that probably has a hardware problem, a corrupt OS install (that would be fixed by reinstalling), or buggy third party software that's causing the crashes.

With any OS, there is always the possibility of individual machines having a problem that causes crashes.

TheTissot11

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2013
Germany
OSX is plenty stable, and weekly hangs aren't normal. Anyone getting crashes like that probably has a hardware problem, a corrupt OS install (that would be fixed by reinstalling), or buggy third party software that's causing the crashes.

With any OS, there is always the possibility of individual machines having a problem that causes crashes.

Well the hardware check by the Apple authorised service provided found no fault with the hardware. Can you suggest some tools that can check the possible third party application conflict on 10.8.3? I checked on roaringapps.com, and I have no incompatible app installed on my rMBP.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom

I am also getting lots of freezing, hanging mainly when under load during encoding. On a windows PC I could do a number of task while encoding and never see a hang. Also I cannot get it to run the hardware test, either it errors out and does not launch or hangs when it starts, needing an smc reset to get it even run..

Mine is also in for an authorised Apple check tomorrow...

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
of course it was...there is not denying in that, however, there haven't been stability since SL.

Yes but if they go down that path, they'll be asking for trouble. Especially how quickly rage can evolve with social media in a few minutes. Hello Xbox and always connected articles.

Sevbh

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
Well the hardware check by the Apple authorised service provided found no fault with the hardware. Can you suggest some tools that can check the possible third party application conflict on 10.8.3? I checked on roaringapps.com, and I have no incompatible app installed on my rMBP.

to find out if its a 3rd party app thats causing these problems, you could create a small partition on your disk and install a fresh ML install, without third party apps. try that out for a while if you can, and if it hangs then there could be a HW problem. it it doesnt, then its ur software, in which case u can resize your main partition and then i would suggest reinstalling a clean copy of ML on your main HD and copying your files manually if you dont have millions...:D

----------

of course it was...there is not denying in that, however, there haven't been stability since SL.

I only have had stability issues with 10.8.0, after that they slowly fixed them issues. Since 10.8.2 I dont think my laptop has crashed once. Maybe im lucky and am not getting the problems some of you are having:D

JM-Prod

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
OSX is not unstable, it's just darn unresponsive at times. Especially Safari can turn the system to syrup.

Apple should once again do as they did with Snow Leopard, just focusing on performance and stability improvements.

- OpenGL 4.3
- Finder and spotlight improvements
- Graphic glitches removal
- Faster start-up and shut-down
- Analysing why and when the system gets unresponsive or lagging and minimise it's occurrences
- Making sure that OSX runs applications and games just as fast, or faster than Windows

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
OSX is not unstable, it's just darn unresponsive at times. Especially Safari can turn the system to syrup.

Apple should once again do as they did with Snow Leopard, just focusing on performance and stability improvements.

- OpenGL 4.3
- Finder and spotlight improvements
- Graphic glitches removal
- Faster start-up and shut-down
- Analysing why and when the system gets unresponsive or lagging and minimise it's occurrences
- Making sure that OSX runs applications and games just as fast, or faster than Windows

They can't do the last one, that's more on the developers themselves. Microsoft doesn't make applications run faster on it than OS X, the fact that developers care more about their largest audience base (Windows) makes it so that they put the most effort in on Windows.

The other things would be great, though.

JM-Prod

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
They can't do the last one, that's more on the developers themselves. Microsoft doesn't make applications run faster on it than OS X, the fact that developers care more about their largest audience base (Windows) makes it so that they put the most effort in on Windows.

The other things would be great, though.

I agree this is mostly true, as software coming from another Unix platform often runs better on OSX, than Windows, however I believe that work always can be done to make resources better utilised.

----- and now something completely different -----

To make Apple sell more 'gaming' hardware and make video and graphics professionals happy with the latest and best, as well as bringing more gaming to the Mac, it would be an idea for Apple to bring together one of Microsofts forgotten franchises: Flight Simulation. Why not? There is a lot of people with deep pockets who love flying, making the best Flight Simulator, OS X exclusive could sell a lot of really powerful hardware! A truly modern Flight Simulator does not exist, and somebody ought to make one, it could even be made for both entertainment and highly professional visualisation. There would also be some synergies to Apple's mapping efforts...

turbocrow

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
So far having moved to a Mac from November I have loved the stability although I remember using my neighbours plastic one it never took wee rainbow loading fits etc. Now my macbook pro never freezes although it does sometimes freeze for 5 seconds then it works perfectly.

Many people have said Safari is rubbish but I love it although I have not tried any other browsers ? should I and what type thanks :)

PS I got a mac for stability and with every update it gets worse in my opinion.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2012
you guys running 10.8.4. see any gfx drivers performance boost in your machines? Particularly the rmbp 15 inch?

Would love to know since I see the gfx drivers mentioned in the list.

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
Since the release of 10.8, does anyones Apple logo on the menubar go a little grey like from time to time? I have to use Mission Control for it to go back to black again. Doesn't happen all the time but the problem can be sporadic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.