Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Sep 12, 2013, 06:32 AM   #226
m98custom1212
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltz View Post
I have a Windows 7 PC that I custom built with 16GB of RAM, i7 2600K CPU and a 256GB Samsung 840PRO SSD. I have the base 2013 Macbook Air and it feels amazing. Actually it feels equally fast as my desktop does. I suspect Mavericks will make it feel even better. Mostly internet browsing and mild work. I paid $850 for the base model, at the price it's really amazing. I almost went all the way... I'm glad I didn't because this is a 11" mobile device not a desktop replacement.

It will feel "equally as fast" due to the SSD. Now, load an 8gb ram disk on your desktop and the desktop will be faster.

You won't notice a difference unless you load some heavy tasks or do some serious muiltasking. Actually you could sell your I7 2600K and get a I5 2500k + cash and be ahead.

I went from a 2500k to 3770k to a 3930k noticed no difference until I started using what I built it for.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 07:29 AM   #227
Redbull916
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine.T View Post
But I am going to use air primary for web, video, music editors (cubase, logic), sometimes for gaming. I don't need extreme level of performance but is the difference between i5 and i7 really noticeable in gaming and music editors?
You will see a difference. I use Propellorhead reason and the extra power of the i7 allows more concurrent samples and less latency. I can see the CPU meter in Reason running at near max with the i7, if I had the i5 it would max out sooner and I would have to put up with poor latency.

Ask yourself how many times can you hear yourself saying "I should have got the i7, but it's too late".
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:15 AM   #228
Constantine.T
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbull916 View Post
You will see a difference. I use Propellorhead reason and the extra power of the i7 allows more concurrent samples and less latency. I can see the CPU meter in Reason running at near max with the i7, if I had the i5 it would max out sooner and I would have to put up with poor latency.

Ask yourself how many times can you hear yourself saying "I should have got the i7, but it's too late".
Thanks for your contribution to my question. (BTW, I am going to use Logic or studio ONE for my purposes, it is much better optimized than Reason). Ok, there might be insignificant latency delay, but I usually prefer to use less vst instruments and plugins online, thereby I always convert all instruments to samples 24bit 44hz. From that point I doubt to see any significant difference between i5 and i7. I would say there rather can be some issues because of RAM lacking (especially when you use many audio samples), that's why I will go with 8mb RAM. i7 only can help you to make rendering faster. IMO
Constantine.T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:20 AM   #229
AXs
macrumors 6502a

The thing is that it's a matter of perspective- how you look at it.

Where I'm from, an i7/8/256GB costs slightly more than a base Pro Retina 13".

It really negates the cost-effectiveness of a buying an Air model when you end spending more than you would for an Air, than you would with a Pro.

I think Pros would see a $100 price drop as well, which would be in line with all apple products price reduction seen in 2013.

Then it's a matter of what you would pick - A macbook Air which has a 3 year old design and screen, but best battery life in the world... or a Pro with a retina display, 1 year old design, Better graphics card, more ports including Hdmi...oh, and of course a more powerful series of cpu.

This only applies to Haswell comparisons though. I think if you HAVE to buy a laptop before Haswell Pros are released, and you need as much power as possible- Get the i7/8 Air. I would recommend it over the Ivy Bridge Pro.

However, if you can indeed wait and the size and weight difference isn't essential then with the same budget, a Retina Pro 13" is definitely going to give more...imo.
AXs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:29 AM   #230
Constantine.T
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXs View Post

It really negates the cost-effectiveness of a buying an Air model when you end spending more than you would for an Air, than you would with a Pro.

I think Pros would see a $100 price drop as well, which would be in line with all apple products price reduction seen in 2013.

Then it's a matter of what you would pick - A macbook Air which has a 3 year old design and screen, but best battery life in the world... or a Pro with a retina display, 1 year old design, Better graphics card, more ports including Hdmi...oh, and of course a more powerful series of cpu.

This only applies to Haswell comparisons though. I think if you HAVE to buy a laptop before Haswell Pros are released, and you need as much power as possible- Get the i7/8 Air. I would recommend it over the Ivy Bridge Pro.

However, if you can indeed wait and the size and weight difference isn't essential then with the same budget, a Retina Pro 13" is definitely going to give more...imo.
Retina pro 13 is pretty bad choice since there are many issues of interface lagging and so on. I have enough money for retina 15 as well, but I know how hardly money earn, therefore I won't spend it easily for unuseful for me features or technologies becoming obsolete like all macbook pro without haswell. That would be silly to buy new pro before official release scheduled supposedly in October. So the choice is evident - air 13. One year later you can sell it with minimum loss and upgrade yourself to new PRO or new Air.

Last edited by Constantine.T; Sep 12, 2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 09:18 AM   #231
m98custom1212
macrumors regular

Quote:

Portability cost money... That .5 lb lighter cost.

So if you want the most powerful air it will cost just like anything else

Last edited by m98custom1212; Sep 13, 2013 at 12:22 PM.
m98custom1212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 04:18 PM   #232
AXs
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Retina pro 13 is pretty bad choice since there are many issues of interface lagging and so on. I have enough money for retina 15 as well, but I know how hardly money earn, therefore I won't spend it easily for unuseful for me features or technologies becoming obsolete like all macbook pro without haswell. That would be silly to buy new pro before official release scheduled supposedly in October. So the choice is evident - air 13. One year later you can sell it with minimum loss and upgrade yourself to new PRO or new Air.
Did you even read my post?

And yes, opportunity cost applies to you the way it does everyone else.

@dude above: 'Portability'
AXs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 05:45 PM   #233
Miltz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by m98custom1212 View Post
It will feel "equally as fast" due to the SSD. Now, load an 8gb ram disk on your desktop and the desktop will be faster.

You won't notice a difference unless you load some heavy tasks or do some serious muiltasking. Actually you could sell your I7 2600K and get a I5 2500k + cash and be ahead.

I went from a 2500k to 3770k to a 3930k noticed no difference until I started using what I built it for.
Yeah of course... I'm not going to Edit my Canon RAW files on my Macbook Air. That's what I have my desktop for.

Last edited by Miltz; Sep 13, 2013 at 01:09 AM.
Miltz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:07 PM   #234
m98custom1212
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltz View Post
Yeah of course... I'm going going to Edit my Canon RAW files on my Macbook Air. That's what I have my desktop for.

?? you just proved my point
Old Sep 13, 2013, 01:43 AM   #235
Constantine.T
macrumors member

Quote:
Did you even read my post?

And yes, opportunity cost applies to you the way it does everyone else.

@dude above: 'Portability'
Yes, I read it. It is just an addition to your opinion. We are on the same page up to a point.

I think for average user is rather enough air i5 8mb 128gb. There is no need to take i7 and 256gb (you can buy external, if you have not enough space, or replace it as soon as ssds will become cheaper). 8mb memory is a must because it is not replaceable. i7, judging by the tests and reviews, has not big difference (even more so it has only dual core, not four). Top air significantly cost more, and after 2 years when you will decide to sell it - you will lose more. These days buying top configuration of air or retina is quite silly, much better to buy basic air or wait for pro retina on haswell. IMO
Old Sep 13, 2013, 02:36 AM   #236
Constantine.T
macrumors member

nevertheless, if you need i7 performance and constantly deal with software requiring CPU performance - just buy it. BTW, I wonder if it's true:

http://blog.laptopmag.com/core-i7-macbook-air-2013

Last edited by Constantine.T; Sep 13, 2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:21 PM   #237
m98custom1212
macrumors regular

Quote:
Yes, I read it. It is just an addition to your opinion. We are on the same page up to a point.

I think for average user is rather enough air i5 8gb 128gb. There is no need to take i7 and 256gb (you can buy external, if you have not enough space, or replace it as soon as ssds will become cheaper). 8gb memory is a must because it is not replaceable. i7, judging by the tests and reviews, has not big difference (even more so it has only dual core, not four). Top air significantly cost more, and after 2 years when you will decide to sell it - you will lose more. These days buying top configuration of air or retina is quite silly, much better to buy basic air or wait for pro retina on haswell. IMO
fixed
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:46 PM   #238
ZBoater
macrumors 603

Quote:
nevertheless, if you need i7 performance and constantly deal with software requiring CPU performance - just buy it. BTW, I wonder if it's true:

http://blog.laptopmag.com/core-i7-macbook-air-2013
Why wouldn't it be?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 04:46 PM   #239
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
Why wouldn't it be?
Well, it could be that I've heard "you can't tell a difference between high and low end processor options unless you're doing really intensive applications" so long and so often that I've come to regard it as dogma rather than fact.

Maybe the topped out version can be considered the MacBook Air Pro.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 05:06 PM   #240
Mike in Kansas
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
Well, it could be that I've heard "you can't tell a difference between high and low end processor options unless you're doing really intensive applications" so long and so often that I've come to regard it as dogma rather than fact.

Maybe the topped out version can be considered the MacBook Air Pro.
I think that's been disproven by now; you can download an app from Intel that monitors and displays your processor speed in real time. It shows that the processor shifts into turbo boost even when performing simple activity such as scrolling through a web page, opening a folder in Finder, doing things in Pages, etc. It's a myth that it only utilizes dynamic over-clocking when doing only processor intensive tasks; it pretty much does it all the time except when you are idling or just streaming music content. Any other time it quickly accelerates, accomplishes the task, then decelerates back down to base clock speed. It's amazing actually - it runs along barely consuming energy when you are idle, when you aren't moving on the screen, when you are static. As soon as you begin doing things with the cursor and opening apps, it quickly speeds up. I don't think many people appreciate just how powerful that can be.
Left Nikon for Fuji X-E1, Fujinon 18-55mm OIS, 55-200mm OIS, 27mm f/2.8
Mike in Kansas is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air