Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

*Batman*

Contributor
Oct 2, 2012
Gotham City
I would seriously love only one additional function for an iPad and that would be the ability to watch videos whilst working on other things (sending mails, web surfing, etc). I really think many would make good use out of it. I'm not an avid movie watcher where it's all about deep concentration and no disturbances.

If something like this were to be done, wouldn't all app developers need to write special code into their apps to allow for another app, a video app, to take up screen space from their app?

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
I saw this feature on my computer, that's where Samsung got the idea from.

Samsung's implementation doesn't share almost anything with a computer. It is a limited experiece aimed at getting the most usability out of a tablet screen. They most certainly haven't got that idea from a computer, unless you can show me where there are permanently floating windows and a screen completely filled by two applications' windows.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Samsung's implementation doesn't share almost anything with a computer. It is a limited experiece aimed at getting the most usability out of a tablet screen. They most certainly haven't got that idea from a computer, unless you can show me where there are permanently floating windows and a screen completely filled by two applications' windows.

I often have two application windows maximized to fill the total screen. The only thing different from that is Samsung locks them into place. Its a logical use of space, and a good implementation, but having two Windows open is not a new concept.

I've been using Quasar on my iPad 2 for a while now, and I actually thought locking the windows into place made more sense for that screen than unlimited windows of different sizes.

Lets also remember than this is not a Google invention. Cornerstone came first, then it was added to TouchWiz, and then Google embraced it.

Last edited:

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
I often have two application windows maximized to fill the total screen. The only thing different from that is Samsung locks them into place. Its a logical use of space, and a good implementation, but having two Windows open is not a new concept.

I agree that it's a good solution for a tablet, but such an implementation on any PC doesn't exist, and would not make sense, since there is a bigger screen estate that lets you manage multiple windows at once. I was explicitly referring to two windows taking up all the screen space, with a divisor between them. You don't see that in PCs.

Lets also remember than this is not a Google invention. Cornerstone came first, then it was added to TouchWiz, and then Google embraced it.

Samsung's implementation has proven the most succesful so far. No point in discussing merits of previous adopters here.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Samsung's implementation has proven the most succesful so far. No point in discussing merits of previous adopters here.

Depends on how you define successful. If there are more Windows 8 devices (tablets, laptops and desktop computers) than Samsung devices then Samsung does not have the most successful implementation.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Depends on how you define successful. If there are more Windows 8 devices (tablets, laptops and desktop computers) than Samsung devices then Samsung does not have the most successful implementation.

I don't see how Windows 8 for laptops or desktops is of any significance here.
As I stated twice now :rolleyes:, Samsung's implementation is not found in PCs. And it wouldn't be of any use, since screens far bigger than a tablet's are used.
For instance, both desktop and laptops' OSs don't let you do this:

6e057e73-55fe-4b7c-bb4f-203b9e2de483.jpg

nor this:

floating-youtube-popup-video-303-0-s-307x512.jpg

I believe there are no other mobile OSs for tablets capable to handle such a task in this manner, so not only the implementation above is the only one. Thus, the most successful.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't see how Windows 8 for laptops or desktops is of any significance here.
As I stated twice now :rolleyes:, Samsung's implementation is not found in PCs. And it wouldn't be of any use, since screens far bigger than a tablet's are used.

We're discussing side by side dual Windows so I mentioned Windows 8 which has a different implementation. You said Samsung's was the most successful without qualifying what defines most successful. If its the sheer number of devices, then if there are more W8 devices, Msoft's implementation is more successful. If you're discussing which is better, that's subjective and can't be correctly determined unless you have used both.

preyan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
South Africa
If something like this were to be done, wouldn't all app developers need to write special code into their apps to allow for another app, a video app, to take up screen space from their app?

Wouldn't it rather be a UI (iOS) development instead of each app developer writing something for their app to allow a pop up video to take precedence? Samsung's pop up video takes precedence of over any app, Samsung standard (text message, GUI, contacts, etc) or third party app developers.

----------

Unfortunately I don't see Apple allowing any sort of APIs that would give you what you're asking in the near future.

You may want to expand a bit and look at other platforms that may fit your needs better.

I already do :D
For the past year too :D

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
You said Samsung's was the most successful without qualifying what defines most successful. If its the sheer number of devices, then if there are more W8 devices, Msoft's implementation is more successful.

I don't know the actual numbers of Windows 8 tablets versus Android tablets, but I'm fairly sure Android has a little advantage. :rolleyes:
As I said now thrice, laptops and desktops have nothing to do with a tablet, which is the focus of the discussion.
Let me refresh you on the subject: we are talking about tablet operating systems used in tablets.

If you're discussing which is better, that's subjective and can't be correctly determined unless you have used both.

Android lets you resize split screens, a feature I don't find in Windows 8 tablets.
With Android you can achieve what Windows 8 offers in that matter, and more.
Both offer a basic feature, and Android adds to that. Seems pretty clear to me that the latter is better in that context.

*Batman*

Contributor
Oct 2, 2012
Gotham City
Wouldn't it rather be a UI (iOS) development instead of each app developer writing something for their app to allow a pop up video to take precedence? Samsung's pop up video takes precedence of over any app, Samsung standard (text message, GUI, contacts, etc) or third party app developers.

I really have no idea, that was an uneducated guess on my part. :eek:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I'd rather Airplay a movie from my iPad to a TV in the background and work on other things on my iPad.....

Which is possible.

Why would I want my 10" cut in two? It's small enough as it is (for what I do on my tablet). I prefer more robust AirPlay options. Most of the big apps/video plugins run in the background (for instance, Airplay a video from NetFlix, close the netflix app and the movie continues to play while you open other apps).

I kinda get the multiwindow thing for note taking or a calculator (seeing the numbers you need to add as you input them)....but honestly, I've never even used the multi-window function on my GS4 except to see what it looks like.

It's also rather limited - only specific apps can work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.