Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I'm not sure what I would do. First, try and talk with at&t and see if they can block the number. If not, I like the idea of a silent non-vibrating ring tone so you aren't disturbed.

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
Hahahahaha! That will do nothing. I would just laugh at you.

If they are US based, which by the 866 number they appear to be, the FCC can levi fines for repeated violations and if they continue to do so without paying the fines the FCC has disconnected numbers. You would be surprised the power the FCC has.

----------

Things I have done in the past is ask them to not call and warn next time they will get a loud blast of noise in the phone. Then, every time they call I warn them of this and then blast a marine air horn in the phone. It has always worked to get them to leave me alone.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I always like to pick up and put the phone on mute and let it sit
But just put a silent ringtone and ignore it for a bit. Theyll stop calling after a bit.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Seeing as it's a toll free number, you could also see if there's a payphone somewhere nearby, and call that number a few dozen times. Calls to 800 numbers from payphones incur an extra fee that they have to eat.

It might also help to let whoever answers know that you're doing this, and why.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
I'm pretty sure AT&T allows you to block 5 numbers for up to 90 days like Verizon, but you have to renew it after 90 days but that's not very hard.

Fant

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
I've always wondered why apple doesn't allow you to simply put a block for a number on the phone itself. Seems like a trivial feature.

///M Powah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
Hawaii, US
Actually, if you google that number, it belongs to a debt collector, not a telemarketer.

LTD Financial Services, LP
7322 Southwest Freeway
Suite 1600
Houston, TX 77074

http://www.ltdfin.com/index.htm
Caller ID: 866-998-2500
Caller: LTD Financial Services
Call Type: Debt Collector

Apparently this company had to pay the FTC a $1.3m fine back in 2007 for breaking various laws regarding harassment, etc.
http://aboutbrokerfraud.typepad.com/about_bro ... ve-debt-co.html

Here are the rules that collection agencies must follow, and how you can contact the FTC if you feel you're being harassed:
http://www.credit.com/credit_information/debt_help/Top-10-Debt-Collection-Rights.jsp

----------

Since they're debt collectors, you have to write them to stop calling.

But the last four digits of the number are different than these two numbers.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I've always wondered why apple doesn't allow you to simply put a block for a number on the phone itself. Seems like a trivial feature.

As usual the answer is not technical.

It's the same reason you shouldn't ask your mail carrier to not stuff junk mail in your box. Some carrier was nice enough to comply and it got him fired. There is some kind of silly law.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.