Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grkbella03

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
I'm kind of freaking out here because I am a photographer so the last thing I need is really bad problems with my computer right now. I upgraded to Photoshop CS6 about a month ago - about a week or two after I upgraded, my computer started acting wonky. I guess every time I opened it, the colors were becoming much more bluer tint which looked pretty bad. Everytime I closed it, it'd go back to normal which is a bit more yellow than normal. The wierd thing is, when you open CS6 and it's loading up, it switches back and forth between the two colors about two times and finally ends up blue. I noticed it also does this when I open Java programs (My professiona print lab companies ordering programs are Java) it does the same thing. So I calibrated my computer with Spyder Pro, and it still does the same thing when opening these programs! Then I went to display settings to see if its the video card somehow based on some forums I found of people complaining the same thing, when I turn off the automatic graphic switching option, it turns blue. When I turn it back on, it goes back to normal to the previous color. I tried to take screenshots of both things happening to show a friend, but the pictures were coming up as exact same colors which means my monitor is doing that and not the software/colors...I'm hoping this makes sense. What could it possibly be? I made an appt for genius bar tomorrow but I want to avoid it nd see if there's anything I can fix because it's really a BIG bi*ch to have to back up all my work and find a backup computer to use. The only way to see the colors changing is if I post a video of it happening.

saytheenay

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2012
I had this issue a while back. It has to do with the graphics switching. Try this:

1. Open system preferences -> energy saver. Turn off automatic graphics switching, even if the screen turns blue.
2. Restart and zap PRAM (hold down P-R-left Option-left command keys until you hear the startup chime at least once). How does it look?
3. Start your offending program(s). If everything works, turn automatic graphics switching back on and restart.
4. Try the offending programs again--if they work, you are done. If they don't, go to step 1.
5. If none of this works, take it in.

Grkbella03

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
I had this issue a while back. It has to do with the graphics switching. Try this:

1. Open system preferences -> energy saver. Turn off automatic graphics switching, even if the screen turns blue.
2. Restart and zap PRAM (hold down P-R-left Option-left command keys until you hear the startup chime at least once). How does it look?
3. Start your offending program(s). If everything works, turn automatic graphics switching back on and restart.
4. Try the offending programs again--if they work, you are done. If they don't, go to step 1.
5. If none of this works, take it in.

Okay so I tried the restart and zap PRAM, and everytime it turns on, the automatic graphic switching option doesnt stay off. It stays off until I restart, then it won't stay off. Keeps going back on.

Obviously I need to take this in, but does this mean my graphics card is basically screwed? Or am I just freaking out?

saytheenay

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2012
Ok, that's odd. I would try resetting your energy saver preferences.

Follow the instructions here, but only delete/move com.apple.PowerManagement.plist; don't do anything to AutoWake. Then restart.

Any change? Does it keep automatic graphics switching off?

Grkbella03

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Ok, that's odd. I would try resetting your energy saver preferences.

Follow the instructions here, but only delete/move com.apple.PowerManagement.plist; don't do anything to AutoWake. Then restart.

Any change? Does it keep automatic graphics switching off?

Unbelievable. Graphics Switching keeps turning back on whenever the computer starts up/restarts. That didn't seem to work either. It reset my energy saver settings except for the graphics switching just keeps being stubborn and turning back on.

Grkbella03

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
So a quick update - I made the mistake of not using the lock thing to save my changes...Duh. That's why the automatic switching wasn't staying off. But I took it to the store, and even we both noticed the colors were all wierd and off...and the calibration from my spyder pro and the computer wasn't coming out right. And the colors would still change regardless...so we'll see what they say in a day or two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.