Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:41 PM   #26
Eric Best
macrumors newbie

Perhaps they could be all singing, all dancing, all talking dinosaurs! In fact, my family already had one of those: Joey, a sulphur crested white cockatoo.
Eric Best is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 10:52 AM   #27
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim667 View Post
Because no-one wants to get eaten off the top of the toilet with their pants down.
When you gotta go, you gotta go.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 01:17 AM   #28
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim667 View Post
Because no-one wants to get eaten off the top of the toilet with their pants down.
Especially not the blood sucking lawyers.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 02:20 AM   #29
MacNut
macrumors P6

Just make sure Newman doesn't turn off the fence.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:35 PM   #30
Huntn
macrumors 604

I don't think anematronic dinos is enough of a pull for the expense. Stick one in a museum or Mall of America now and then to entertain the kiddies. That's about it.

Now the question is, is there a basis for enough DNA fragments found in an amber encased mosquito to stick it in a chicken egg and pop out a dino? I'm thinking no, then I read this link with a fairly in depth discussion of why it's not possible:

Quote:
Could we really bring back dinosaurs like in Jurassic Park? No, sadly not. It would make paleontologists' work so much easier, more exciting, and better funded if we could, but we can't. Why? Dinosaurs (except birds) are extinct. Extinction is permanent! Even with modern species that go extinct, we have little, if any, chance of resurrecting them. Several reasons (6 reasons listed in article):

1. We must find intact DNA of the species in question. Amber is one of the better preservatives of DNA, so dinosaur DNA in amber would be good. Problem: DNA degrades over time, even in amber. After several million years, many lethal losses of pieces of the DNA would occur. These gaps in the DNA strand cannot be repaired; their information is lost forever. We cannot improvise the genetic code of an organism.
Now they have found frozen mammoths in glaziers. Why not those?
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 09:52 AM   #31
Prototypical
macrumors 6502

Why don't we have a Jurassic Park? Did you even watch the movies?
Prototypical is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:59 AM   #32
wrkactjob
Banned

It would be nice to get a woolly mammoth up and running if they can take the DNA samples and reassemble them into a full genome.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ech%5Emostread
wrkactjob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 09:41 AM   #33
balamw

FWIW there is also a traveling arena show, now in Japan. http://www.dinosaurlive.com

I saw many of the robots in Toronto a few years back.

B
Old Jul 16, 2013, 01:27 PM   #34
Kissaragi
macrumors 68020

Maybe we could have a virtual one.

Imagine a huge padded hanger and everyone wearing oculus rifts! Then We could have the full dinosaur experience of being stalked and virtual eaten.
Kissaragi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 03:53 PM   #35
CountryBobs
Banned

Don't you need dinosaurs to have a Jurassic Park?
CountryBobs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 07:15 PM   #36
djdarlek
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
I recall taking my daughter when she was about 5 to some park in the UK (sorry don't remember where, but possibly Wales) with some very unrealistic static plastic dinosaur models. She was very into the land before time cartoons.
Anyway she was standing next to one when the tape recording of a roaring dinosaur suddenly kicked in. She must have jumped a mile!
It is near Wales somewhere.. my folks took me there when I was a nipper.. still have the dinosaur from the gift shop somewhere!
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:20 PM   #37
drsoong
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdarlek View Post
still have the dinosaur from the gift shop somewhere!
Good, then we have a starting point! Male or female?

-Dr. Soong
drsoong is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 09:24 PM   #38
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Are you looking for funds to build this absolutely can't miss, people will drive miles and show up in droves idea?

Are you kidding? I'd pour the kids into the Wagon Queen Family Truckster and drive straight there, right after we visit the world's second largest ball of twine.
Gutwrench is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 05:27 PM   #39
kelub
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousse View Post
That's nice and all, but the the Jurassic period was the junior varsity of dinosaurs. The most popular of the Jurassic dinos would include the Allosaurus, Stegosaurus, Brachiosaurus and Brontosaurus. Not exactly headliners.

You'd want to create a Cretaceous Park to get the popular dinos like T-Rex, Raptors and Triceratops. Ignorant Hollywood exec getting the most basic info wrong. T-Rex and Raptors were from the LATE Cretaceous period.
*ahem* I believe it was a book first.
kelub is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 01:07 PM   #40
Cloudsurfer
macrumors 6502a

Actually, some soft tissue has been found in several fossilized dinosaur bones, and proteins and the like were extracted. It appears for example that the T-Rex is a distant relative of the modern ostrich, which more or less acknowledges the theory that birds are actually evolved dinosaurs.

In theory, bird DNA still has the genes in them that could enable them to be dinosaurs but since the dinosaur genome is unknown it would be guessing which genes do what (I'm sure sure if even the bird genome is fully known).

It is impossible with current tech but I wouldn't exclude the possibility that one day in the distant future we may be able to accurately reproduce several dinosaur species.
Cloudsurfer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 05:54 PM   #41
rpenzinger
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissaragi View Post
I came in here thinking the op was going to ask for real dinosaurs. Im disappointed now!
Me too! Boo hoo!
rpenzinger is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events