Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

OSXServer.png
Apple has updated OS X Server, the application that runs on top of OS X Mountain Lion to expand the system's server feature set.

The update adds several bug fixes, though the 'What's New' section includes a number of new features that were originally added back in December 2012.
What's new

- Fix for administering Profile Manager from iPad mini.
- Support for using bonded or virtual network interfaces in Server.
- Fix for setup failures due to an SSL error.
- Fixes for upgrading from Lion Server.

For information on the security content of this update, please visit: support.apple.com/kb/HT1222
OS X Server is available for $19.99 on the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Updates 'OS X Server' With Bug Fixes

jmille44

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
Lion Server upgrade

Has anyone upgraded from Lion Server to Mountain Lion Server?
I have always heard upgrades on the server do not normally work out.

Thoughts?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands

Thoughts?

Went from 10.5.8 Server to 10.6.3 server a few years ago. It was DNS and OD master with around 300 users. That went well.

But, I rather do a clean install and import the necessary data. If the server was as "default setup" as possible, then upgrading usually works well.

Just make sure you have fall-back strategy: make a bootable dmg of the origininal server boot-volume before upgrading.

Vulkan

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2005
Useless, TX

Thoughts?

I just did an upgrade from Lion Server to ML Server and it went super. I did a backup just in case, but it went super no issues.

grundoon

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2013

Thoughts?

I suspect some of what you've heard is hyperbole, and some very real. There are plenty of tales from the trenches to be found on discussions.apple.com

My recollection is that Lion to ML was fairly uneventful, and that is likely to be the case going forward, since Server has become a rather basic stand-alone management application. Earlier transitions could be far more painful - what with directory location changes, changes in underlying services software, the switch to GeneratedUIDs, the occasional Open Directory corruption, etc. Hopefully all that type of standardization that occurred along the way has arrived at a point of stability... guess we'll get a good indication in a month or so.

If possible I would always recommend installing a major OS release from scratch, but there are plenty of cases in which that's not terribly feasible.

MacBucky

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2007
Madison, WI
I just did an upgrade from Lion Server to ML Server and it went super. I did a backup just in case, but it went super no issues.

We did the update minutes ago and things really went smooth for us. The only catch is, the NetInstall service is still not seeing the Bonded network. The server application itself is seeing the bonded ethernet network we setup. In order to use NetInstall, which we use everyday for imaging, we reverted back to a single interface for this server. Bummer....

davecotter

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
failed for SnowLeopard to Lion, haven't looked since

I had an absolutely catastrophic update when i attempted to go from Snow Leopard to Lion:

did you know that when you update to Lion Server, it *removes* all your web sites? and PHP? That there is no longer any way to maintain virtual hosts? That even configuring them via command line is near impossible, even for a veteran unix guru?

So my Q is, is all this fixed?

tallmichael

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2013
Has anyone heard if apple will make us pay for an "mavericks" version of server.. Or will it be a free upgrade?

grundoon

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2013

What I said above. Some of the previous transitions were very painful, and Snow Leopard to Lion in particular wreaked havoc. I used to dread even minor dot-release updates, but now that everything seems to have settled on /Library/Server/ as home, I've had no further significant issues.

At least for me, data files, .confs, even hand-tweaked DNS zones have all been respected the last few times through. Remember that there is now essentially no difference between OS X and OS X Server - Server's just a GUI app to things that are already there on every system - so there's no big installation process whereby things are potentially overwritten. (er, knock on wood!)

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Ditched OS X Server for Server 2008 R2. I got my school to buy the ExtremeZ-IP plug-in for AFP. Runs wayyy better than OS X server did for home directories. I've had 300+ users logged into one server for home directories without a hitch. OS X server would choke at about 75 simultaneous users logged in. The only thing we use OS X server for now is profile manager 2 & it's finicky.

jeremyhu

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2010

Thoughts?

SL to Lion was pretty bad for me, so I was incredibly skeptical with the update from Lion to ML. I waited for OS X 10.8.3 and Server 2.2.1 before I made the jump, and it upgraded just fine. There were a couple issues with my amavisd.conf settings not getting migrated, but I just hand edited it again to restore my settings (Server.app saved my old config file for easy reference). There were also a couple minor website issues, and I ended up just nuking my apache settings and starting fresh without any problems (I had a rather complex hand-configured apache setup, so I expected that there would be issues there).

I've since updated the OS to 10.8.4 and 10.8.5 without any issue and will be doing this Server upgrade later tonight without much worry.

Still, I think I'll wait for Mavericks 10.9.2 and Server 3.1 (or whatever the ".1" server update will be) before I migrate my server to Mavericks (just in case).

----------

I had an absolutely catastrophic update when i attempted to go from Snow Leopard to Lion:

did you know that when you update to Lion Server, it *removes* all your web sites? and PHP? That there is no longer any way to maintain virtual hosts? That even configuring them via command line is near impossible, even for a veteran unix guru?

Lion's Server.app was quite limited, but you still had support for virtual hosts on the system (I forget if it was exposed in Server.app or Server Admin.app on Lion). I know ML's Server.app is *MUCH* better than Lion's, and it certainly allows configuration of virtual hosts from within the app.

alexrmc92

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2013
i will never leave snow leopard server. It was the last good server, the only downfall it has is that it uses ipfw and not pf as a firewall.

To get things like profile manager i just virtualize mountain lion in a virtualbox vm set to autostart at boot.

davecotter

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
so how then?

so how do i upgrade to ML or Mavericks Server without going thru the catastrophe that is SL to Lion? When you go SL to Lion you lose tons of config info. i'm not into that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.