Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pavlik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2013
Hello,

I'm wondering how to make an 1080p mp4 playable in iTunes with subtitles from an 1080p mkv file.

It must be in same quallity that in mkv file.

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
You can try this tool I programmed to convert into an ".mp4" container and then just rename that to ".m4v". There is no guarantee, but it might actually work. If it does, it's very fast and without any loss in quality.

I have no idea if the subtitles work though. Are they in a seperate file or included in the ".mkv"? If the latter, I think you might be out of luck...

pavlik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2013
You can try this tool I programmed to convert into an ".mp4" container and then just rename that to ".m4v". There is no guarantee, but it might actually work. If it does, it's very fast and without any loss in quality.

I have no idea if the subtitles work though. Are they in a seperate file or included in the ".mkv"? If the latter, I think you might be out of luck...

Video seems good, but there is no sound. I cant find out why.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I am going to make a couple of assumptions. First, I'm assuming that you are using MakeMKV to do your Blu-ray rips. When you rip you need to make sure that you check the subtitles that you want so that they are in the MKV container. Second, I assume that you are using Handbrake to do your conversions. To make this work you need to go to the nightly builds https://build.handbrake.fr/view/Nightlies/ as the release build doesn't have subtitle functionality for Blu-ray.

Open your properly formed MKV file, select the target format from Handbrake's presets, and click on the subtitles button. Select the track(s) you want included and convert. If you are using something other than these two I can't help you, but these are both free and work flawlessly, so I don't know why you wouldn't.

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
I've had that for a while now but it doesn't seem to do anything for me.

It'll say 'Done.', but nothing actually happens.

That is seriously strange. Error messages are caught and displayed on screen, so if there is no error message, the output file should have been produced. Can you tell me what container you wanted to convert into what other container? Or maybe make a screen capture of what happens? I would love to get to the bottom of this...

Oh, also, thread-relevant: Subler is awesome! Definitely give it a try! My tool was just made for more container formats that Subler couldn't handle... and it is way less powerful, especially when it comes to metadata and subtitles!

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
That is seriously strange. Error messages are caught and displayed on screen, so if there is no error message, the output file should have been produced. Can you tell me what container you wanted to convert into what other container? Or maybe make a screen capture of what happens? I would love to get to the bottom of this...

Oh, also, thread-relevant: Subler is awesome! Definitely give it a try! My tool was just made for more container formats that Subler couldn't handle... and it is way less powerful, especially when it comes to metadata and subtitles!

This is pretty much all I get when trying to use it.

I've only really needed it once though, not a huge deal, but would be useful.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    166.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 2.png
    2.png
    172.9 KB · Views: 153
  • 3.png
    3.png
    170.9 KB · Views: 143
  • 4.png
    4.png
    171.4 KB · Views: 147
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.