Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puertorioninja5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Alabama
I was recently involved in a jogging accident (struck by a car) and I expect the other party's insurance to make a settlement soon, but I was playing around with my friend's iPhone 4 and from then I had decided this is what I want. I already own an iPod touch 4th generation however but I plan to hand this down to posterity, as I feel a smartphone with access nearly anywhere is more important than only being able to connect at Wi-Fi points (plus I need a phone too xD).

Anyways, point is I was looking at buying a factory unlocked 64GB iPhone 4S (I know these are discontinued but I'm looking at eBay to solve this remedy) or an iPhone 5 (I really don't want to have to cut a SIM card down to nano-size) and was planning to put it on Straight Talk's $45/month plan. I already am aware that despite their advertising saying so, the data is not actually unlimited but I don't plan to use much data away from home anyways. What I really need to know is how difficult will it be to get it to work on Straight Talk (after I buy the micro SIM/cut down to nano-SIM and configure the APN settings) and I also hear of some problems when wanting to upgrade iOS versions as using Straight Talk piggybacks off of AT&T's service. So if I go this route, will I be able to say upgrade to iOS 6 if the iPhone is shipped with 5.1.1, or should I update and then set it up?

Damien-y4k

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Hello I was doin the same thing just a month ago ,we'll best thing to do is order the SIM card from straight talk get the micro sim not the full ,why its easier to cut down from a micro to a nano it's better positioned if your using a noosy SIM card cutter or if your doin this for the iphone 5.but if its just for the 4s you don't have to worry. to answer your question ill give you some step by step instructions you will need a tmobile sim if your apn settings are not available,tmobile now sells the nano sim if interested in tmobile.you have to goto a site called unlockit.co.nz And install the profile and it will install as an app on the phone.i can confirm this works on iphone 4 and the 3GS on ios6.1

Tools Needed:
A. T-Mobile SIM
B. iPhone with iOS 6 or 6.1
Go to Settings > General > Network
Once in their swap the ST SIM with T-Mobile's.
Go into Cellular Data Network and we are going to edit the settings type these exactly

Cellular Data
APN: att.mvno
Username: *blank*
Password: *blank*

MMS
MMSC: http://www.mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33:80
MMS Max Message Size: 1048576
MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf
Stay in the apn menu for 2 min then the. Press home button then go back to the apn menu swap SIM card to the straight talk one.and it should kick you out wait till the straight talk signal comes in and back out each menu one by one till you get to the one with airplane mode and turn on airplane mode for 2 min the. Shut off then test the picture message and if it works restart your phone and it should save the settings.do these exactly and it should work

puertorioninja5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Alabama
Hello I was doin the same thing just a month ago ,we'll best thing to do is order the SIM card from straight talk get the micro sim not the full ,why its easier to cut down from a micro to a nano it's better positioned if your using a noosy SIM card cutter or if your doin this for the iphone 5.but if its just for the 4s you don't have to worry. to answer your question ill give you some step by step instructions you will need a tmobile sim if your apn settings are not available,tmobile now sells the nano sim if interested in tmobile.you have to goto a site called unlockit.co.nz And install the profile and it will install as an app on the phone.i can confirm this works on iphone 4 and the 3GS on ios6.1

Tools Needed:
A. T-Mobile SIM
B. iPhone with iOS 6 or 6.1
Go to Settings > General > Network
Once in their swap the ST SIM with T-Mobile's.
Go into Cellular Data Network and we are going to edit the settings type these exactly

Cellular Data

MMS
MMSC: http://www.mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33:80
MMS Max Message Size: 1048576
MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf
Stay in the apn menu for 2 min then the. Press home button then go back to the apn menu swap SIM card to the straight talk one.and it should kick you out wait till the straight talk signal comes in and back out each menu one by one till you get to the one with airplane mode and turn on airplane mode for 2 min the. Shut off then test the picture message and if it works restart your phone and it should save the settings.do these exactly and it should work

So wait, I was under the assumption that I just had to buy a Straight Talk micro-SIM (if I go with a 4S) and set it up with AT&T's settings.

No worries, I have a couple of old T-Mobile SIMs laying around. Do they have to be currently in service or an they just be old deactivated ones?
And can you show me a guide on how to cut a T-Mobile SIM down if I can use an old one?

Damien-y4k

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
No they don't have to be in service as long as it was activated at one point, and yes if you go with the 4s just get the micro sim, I was talking about the iphone 5 that you would have to cut the sim but get a micro SIM card still regardless it's easier to cut from micro to a nano if you buy a noosy SIM card cutter they are like 5 to 15 bucks on amazon worth the money if your doin multiple cards you can start little side business doin SIM cards for people that's what I do and it's paid for itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.