Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vinny.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
I have a 2007 Mac pro,
2x dual core xeon, lion 10.7, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB, 24gb ram, 250gb ssd, 3tb sata hdd.

I have had no audio now for a few weeks, it first happened when I tried updating my graphics card to a gtx 560 graphics card, so I thought this was the problem, so I downgraded back to the GeForce 7300 GT and reinstalled lion 10.7, (before that I had updated to 10.7.5, many people also complained about no audio with this update), so I reinstalled lion to 10.7 hoping this might fix it, but it doesn't. I have reinstalled to factory settings, resetted pram settings, resetting smc settings, tried booting in safe mode, I have repaired disk permissions, I have verified disk permissions, on all disks. I don't know what else to do.

headphones dont work, built in audio doesnt work, external speakers don't work.

my computer works fine in every other way, but the audio won't work.

Has anyone got any ideas?

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Does a device plugged into the headphone jack at the front of the tower get detected as headphones in system preferences?

vinny.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
no nothing gets detected, it only happened when updating to 10.7.5 the first time, but now I have reinstalled lion to 10.7 and still no change.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Reset PRAM should help if it isn't hardware issue. If it didn't... you can try to hold keys until third reboot.

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
with ML did you check the audio sound output device? maybe it was defaulting to AirPlay?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-14 at 6.15.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-14 at 6.15.07 AM.png
    80.5 KB · Views: 59

vinny.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
with ML did you check the audio sound output device? maybe it was defaulting to AirPlay?

I already said it does not detect any sound device, internal or external, so there is no airplay or speaker or headphone or anything..

I don't have mountain lion, mountain lion is not compatible with my computer, i have lion 10.7.

(attached is pic of what it looks like in system pref)

Attachments

• sound.jpg
    sound.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 62

vinny.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
Reset PRAM should help if it isn't hardware issue. If it didn't... you can try to hold keys until third reboot.

I have tried this a few times, its doesn't change anything. Maybe its hardware issue, but it was working fine before I updated lion the first time. seems a bit of a coincidence.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I have tried this a few times, its doesn't change anything. Maybe its hardware issue, but it was working fine before I updated lion the first time. seems a bit of a coincidence.

It's funny on 10.6 I was getting cutout I upgraded to 10.7 und alles normal

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I have a 2007 Mac pro,
2x dual core xeon, lion 10.7, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB, 24gb ram, 250gb ssd, 3tb sata hdd.

I have had no audio now for a few weeks, it first happened when I tried updating my graphics card to a gtx 560 graphics card, so I thought this was the problem, so I downgraded back to the GeForce 7300 GT and reinstalled lion 10.7, (before that I had updated to 10.7.5, many people also complained about no audio with this update), so I reinstalled lion to 10.7 hoping this might fix it, but it doesn't. I have reinstalled to factory settings, resetted pram settings, resetting smc settings, tried booting in safe mode, I have repaired disk permissions, I have verified disk permissions, on all disks. I don't know what else to do.

headphones dont work, built in audio doesnt work, external speakers don't work.

my computer works fine in every other way, but the audio won't work.

Has anyone got any ideas?
As already mentioned. Reset the PRAM. I had the same issue and pram reset fixed it. Actually had the problem a few times and the pram reset gets the audio back.

vinny.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
As already mentioned. Reset the PRAM. I had the same issue and pram reset fixed it. Actually had the problem a few times and the pram reset gets the audio back.

As I have already said a bunch of times, I have tried this, quite a few times, 2 x chimes and 3 x chimes and 4 x chimes, but nothing worked.

I finally got an answer from someone who's a friend of a friend and makes hackintosh's, he told me to delete the all hd extension plugins in library - system - extensions, and for some reason it worked, even though before this I did an erase and install, I guess there is something wrong with the extensions in lion or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.