Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
Hello,

I once bought a Kworld USB tuner stick to capture some videos I had on tape. At the time I was using Windows.

Now I would like to use the same device but with my MacBookPro instead. I've been trying to use VideoGlide but couldn't make it work yet.

Does anyone know if it's possible or I'll have to buy a new device :apple:compatible? Is there a better software to work with?

Kworld
USB Hybrid Tuner Stick
UB430-AF

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
Hello,

I once bought a Kworld USB tuner stick to capture some videos I had on tape. At the time I was using Windows.

Now I would like to use the same device but with my MacBookPro instead. I've been trying to use VideoGlide but couldn't make it work yet.

Does anyone know if it's possible or I'll have to buy a new device :apple:compatible? Is there a better software to work with?

Kworld
USB Hybrid Tuner Stick
UB430-AF

Back in the day when I was transferring all my VHS tapes, I used this:

Sony DVMC DA2

Worked flawlessly with Final Cut Pro. The output is mini Firewire to Firewire 400. But I'm sure you can use other alternatives. At the time, this box was $300. There may be other USB versions out there.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hello,

I once bought a Kworld USB tuner stick to capture some videos I had on tape. At the time I was using Windows....

One of the best ways to convert old tapes is if you happen to have an old DV camera. These will have a Firewire cable that goes to the computer and many times also a "Video In RCA jack" The camera can run in passthrough mode. The DV format is good because each frame standalone andhas way more than enough resolution to hold VHS tapes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.