Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:13 AM   #51
Damolee
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
Cvs, Walgreens, lowes, Macy's, best buy, Burger King, foot locker, old navy, American eagle, etc etc
In the UK?

Everywhere I mention it they look at you funny. "WTF is NFC?"
Damolee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:02 AM   #52
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by siiip5 View Post
Many people dont even realize that some of their credit cards have this chip. But I think it is cute that you think your chip is free, or your credit card for that matter. Do you bank with Lloyd's or similar? Notice that small 8 or 10 quid monthly charge by the bank?....
I don't pay a monthly fee for my credit card.

With respect to other posts that quoted me, I do understand that NFC can be used in situations other than paying, and that it might be convenient to carry just a phone and not a credit card. The problem is that NFC requires equipment on the seller's side, and this is far from universal yet. Frankly, I don't see shop owners investing in new point of sale equipment in this economy unless they absolutely have to. Also, NFC credit card payments have an upper limit - I think most people will still carry their credit card for large payments.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:23 AM   #53
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
I don't pay a monthly fee for my credit card.

With respect to other posts that quoted me, I do understand that NFC can be used in situations other than paying, and that it might be convenient to carry just a phone and not a credit card. The problem is that NFC requires equipment on the seller's side, and this is far from universal yet. Frankly, I don't see shop owners investing in new point of sale equipment in this economy unless they absolutely have to. Also, NFC credit card payments have an upper limit - I think most people will still carry their credit card for large payments.
That is exactly how I feel about NFC. It will take a lot more than just NFC to make me upgrade to a 5S since I would actually go out of my way to incorporate it.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:51 AM   #54
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by slch View Post
IMHO iOS reminders+do not disturb are (in theory) way more intelligent and practical. If I'm at home from 11 to 6 do not disturb unless some particular person is calling.

I've got a Galaxy Nexus and a NFC token in my keyring and I've used it at most 5 times in 4 months to change settings.

In the near future I see a phone intelligent enough to know if you are busy, sleeping, on holiday... just take a look at Google Now, it's quite clever
That's not intelligent at all. Actually that's the complete opposite. I can do that with Android but set the phone to only do it when I'm at home.

So silent from 11 to 6 every night but only when I'm at my house. If I'm out at local bars or buddies houses it will not do that.

Location based setting is one of my biggest gripes of my iPhone. I need to manually change things depending on what I'm doing. Most usually require menu diving.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:47 PM   #55
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneriderltr450 View Post
What's NFC?
A replacement for IrDA.

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices