Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeyKatie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
I'm getting an iPad mini for Christmas and I've never had more than one iDevice at a time so I'm not sure how the whole syncing two different devices works. I'll be using the mini for movies and games, how do I go about getting my game data off of my phone and onto the mini?

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Basically music, movies, apps, books, etc. you purchase/download on iTunes will be pushed into iCloud (assuming you make a free account).

As for game data. If the game supports iCloud saving then you'll get your saved data automatically. Games like Angry Birds, Plants vs Zombies, etc. don't support iCloud so you'll have to start over.

HeyKatie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Basically music, movies, apps, books, etc. you purchase/download on iTunes will be pushed into iCloud (assuming you make a free account).

As for game data. If the game supports iCloud saving then you'll get your saved data automatically. Games like Angry Birds, Plants vs Zombies, etc. don't support iCloud so you'll have to start over.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010

Back one idevice and restore it to the other via iTunes.

Assuming ur using the same iTunes account anything you buy u can put on the other device for free. Restore ur purchases for in app purchases. And movies, music, anything u buy off iTunes will work on ur other device at no charge.

And with iCloud you can sync all ur photos(not videos), calendar, notes, reminders, etc.

Last edited:

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California

Download DropBox for both devices as well, to be able to have quick access to files in DropBox's cloud (assuming you have a DropBox account) including photostream content in the cloud. You can hand pick which content you want to sync between devices usually in iTunes on a computer.

AlterZgo

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011

If you back up your old device to your computer and restore from backup to your new device, all the game saves, including Angry Birds and PVZ, will be restored to the new device.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
If you back up your old device to your computer and restore from backup to your new device, all the game saves, including Angry Birds and PVZ, will be restored to the new device.

But they have different versions (iPhone only and iPad HD).

Only works on universal ones I thought?

dancj

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
But they have different versions (iPhone only and iPad HD).

Only works on universal ones I thought?
It depends on the game.

Some games use iCloud to store your game saves so they'll be okay (but most of those are universal already).

There are also some games where the iPad and iPhone versions are different, but you can transfer the game save files from one to the other. You'll need some software like iexplorer on your PC/mac. I managed to transfer my progress in Dead Space using this method.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.