Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

david martin

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
I want to display my home screen on my TV via HDMI cable. I have the cable and can only view photos and videos. I've read I need to jailbreak to display the homescreen on a TV. Can someone confirm or describe how I can display my home screen? I have iPhone 4 on ios 6.0.1 and firmware 3.0.04. Thanks for any help!

david martin

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
Thanks for the ideas. As cool as the Apple TVs and air parrot are, I would still like to connect to any TV with a HDMI port. Taking a sceen shot and displaying a picture isn't enough. I would really like to duplicate what is on the screen in real time. I'm hoping to avoid installing jailbreak software due to past undesireable effects on a past iphone, but if it will allow me to duplicate my iphone screen I will probably give it another shot.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
All you need is Apple's 30 pin Digital AV Adapter. Once that's plugged in you set your iPhone to mirror to the TV.

Edit: Gee, that was easy to find on their website. </sarcasm>

Edit #2: It looks like this is only compatible with the 4S and higher. Reading is a wonderful thing.

Last edited:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Well I love my ATV. Running a cable to the TV is so 8-track.

How much does an iPhone HDMI cable costs if u don't already have one?

todvide

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2013
good info,Just get an Apple TV and then you can mirror your iDevices from your couch. thanks
eh

david martin

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
Now we are getting somewhere. I still have to assume, at this point, the hardware in the iphone 4 is capable of duplicatig to a TV, but software is the hang up. I'm still fishing for a work around for the 4, such as installing third party software before or after a jailbreak.

The HDMI adapter cost $40. I prefer the HDMI cable because most TVs have this input. Wireless TVs are becoming more common but not in every house.

david martin

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
Thanks Pnutts! I'm excited to give it a try. I first need to get back up to speed with current JB software. I've gone through the process once before. Other than evasi0n are there other option for ios 6.0.1?

mirroring to a another mac and then connecting to a TV...now that is clever, but a little extensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.