Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3, 2013, 03:01 PM   #501
enigma2118
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Go ahead, make some guesses

Imma wonderin'

How quickly do we usually see prices drop on the current models when an new line is released?

How much do they usually drop by?

Imma also wonderin'

If anyone has any thoughts on the next rMBP not having soldered RAM. Why did they do that again? Something about needing the space was it? Anyone thing this is something that could easily be changed for the next release?
enigma2118 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 10:33 AM   #502
manu chao
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colpeas View Post
True, but I'm not saying they should use Air's LCD in Pro. The drop in image quality is not caused by its higher PPI/resolution, but rather by the fact that Air's LCD needs to be thinner and probably cheaper as well.
Since there's plenty of space in 13" Pro LCD shell, Apple could use a decent 1440x900 panel which would retain the qualities of the current LCDs while bumping the res. I cannot imagine how that could be a problem...
It is with regard to retina displays. The best retina mode is when it exactly doubles the resolution. They would not want to have the best retina mode to have a lower resolution than the non-retina predecessor. And once you go retina, different resolutions can be selected by the user.
manu chao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 10:59 AM   #503
AppleHater
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecorp View Post
the macbook pros will be future proof.
fast WIFI ac, SSD with min 768gb or would be happy with the new and cheaper 960gb ssd.
Bro, there is no such thing as future proof, unless they plan on going out of business shortly.
AppleHater is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 04:09 PM   #504
Freyqq
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Does that hurt you, NO, plenty of people still want an optical drive and plenty of people still use wired network.

I think it is actually excellent news.
Also, some people need kensignton locks and dvd drives in a business environment.
Freyqq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 03:14 AM   #505
HurryKayne
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Do you think next 13 retina will gain a real Gpu or a real Quad core?Or both?
I mean..without its just an overpriced gorgeous Air.

I'm also interested in see which Iris-Gpu Intel will place in the Air ..if GT2 or GT3.
Do you think we have to wait till 2014 to see all MACS going Quad core Cpus and the notebooks-Ios devices to gain retina? (and Imac?..too big i suppose to be affordable..perhaps Retina will land on them close to the Apple HdTV..if ever existed..)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech198 View Post
Yep.... While i'm still happy the Macbook Pro non-Ratina will stick around (this includes the 15-inch too? ), it still kind of sits in-between an ultra-book, and a Air, with all the benefits of ports and storage.
As far i can understand the 15 Not Retina...has what the 13 Retina hasn't and viceversa.
The 15 got no Retina but Quad core and Gpu( with modest 512 but Real Gpu).
The 13 got Retina but no Quad or Gpu...
IF only they could merge it in a real 13 Retina Quad Core plus a Bto Gpu...

Last edited by HurryKayne; May 5, 2013 at 03:12 AM.
HurryKayne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 08:29 PM   #506
iRun26.2
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by entropi View Post
+1

let's keep the air thin & efficient, retina isn't needed...
I can't believe how many people...
1) Don't want a retina MBA
2) Think it isn't possible

The 'iPhone 4' is how many years old?

Apple please just make two 11" MBA versions: One without retina that is cheap... and one for me that is top of the line. It is an instant sale for me if it is under $2.5K!
iRun26.2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 08:46 PM   #507
AidenShaw
macrumors G5
 
AidenShaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Peninsula
They disappear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma2118 View Post
Imma wonderin'

How quickly do we usually see prices drop on the current models when an new line is released?

How much do they usually drop by?
The current models disappear from the catalog when a new model appears - so the question is meaningless. Some may appear in the refurb store for a brief period.


Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma2118 View Post
If anyone has any thoughts on the next rMBP not having soldered RAM. Why did they do that again?
Apple did it to force you to only buy Apple memory at the time of purchase - and to pressure you to buy more than you might need right now because it is impossible to upgrade later. Cha-ching - keep the margins high.

Apple might try to justify it by saying that it lets them make the rMBP 0.2 mm thinner. Does 0.2 mm matter? Does 2 mm even matter?
__________________
Edward Snowden - American Hero.
Daniel Ellsberg: "Edward Snowden: Saving Us from the United Stasi of America"
Marriage equality is unstoppable
AidenShaw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 09:31 PM   #508
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenShaw View Post
The current models disappear from the catalog when a new model appears - so the question is meaningless. Some may appear in the refurb store for a brief period.




Apple did it to force you to only buy Apple memory at the time of purchase - and to pressure you to buy more than you might need right now because it is impossible to upgrade later. Cha-ching - keep the margins high.

Apple might try to justify it by saying that it lets them make the rMBP 0.2 mm thinner. Does 0.2 mm matter? Does 2 mm even matter?
Who is forced to buy a rMBP?
__________________
"I have a very optimistic view of individuals. As individuals, people are inherently good. I have a somewhat more pessimistic view of people in groups." -- Steve Jobs , Wired interview
Rogifan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 09:35 PM   #509
AidenShaw
macrumors G5
 
AidenShaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Peninsula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Who is forced to buy a rMBP?
Huh?

How did you even come up with that question? Just being cantankerous?

My comment was that once you've decided to buy an Apple with soldered memory, you are forced to choose how much memory with the Apple tax to buy at the time that you purchase - since you're locked into that until you trash the Apple.
__________________
Edward Snowden - American Hero.
Daniel Ellsberg: "Edward Snowden: Saving Us from the United Stasi of America"
Marriage equality is unstoppable

Last edited by AidenShaw; May 5, 2013 at 11:44 PM.
AidenShaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 11:51 PM   #510
entropi
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRun26.2 View Post
I can't believe how many people...
1) Don't want a retina MBA
2) Think it isn't possible

The 'iPhone 4' is how many years old?

Apple please just make two 11" MBA versions: One without retina that is cheap... and one for me that is top of the line. It is an instant sale for me if it is under $2.5K!
haha, the thoughts are more like this:

how old are the retina notebooks apple actually have released?
what are the benefits of pushing all those pixels around?
are those notebooks plauged by any issues?
are all software retina-optimized and in some cases - will it ever be?
is there any difference in moving pixels around on a small 3,5" phone-screen vs a 11" notebook-screen?
is the technology really ready yet?

nah, retina is nice - but not really necessary just yet. let real features lead instead of inefficient eyecandy!

Last edited by entropi; May 5, 2013 at 11:54 PM. Reason: better layout
entropi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 07:59 PM   #511
CarlosQG
macrumors 6502a
 
CarlosQG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan20 View Post
There was me hoping iOS 7 would be the highlight of WWDC...
There was me hoping sexy Craig Federighi would be the highlight of WWDC...
__________________
Check out my portfolio! https://www.behance.net/CarlosQG
CarlosQG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 10:24 AM   #512
Azathoth
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by G4er? View Post
Heck. There is still a market for them here. Let's hope Apple rethinks removing them from all the desktop computers.
Right, because that's the market Apple hopes to corner with a 1500 USD rMBP
Azathoth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 07:34 PM   #513
Mago
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
I believe Apple will back to two-target product schemes on its mac book line:

STD and PRO.

the new MacBook (w/o any other appelative) being former Macbook Air, now with retina display (at some moment this year the entire Macbook Line will be on retina, most delayed will be former MBA due the Haswell delays (4Q13).

and Of Course the MacBook Pro with Retina Display but w/o the "retina" name.

Also Is feasible Later will se some iMac Pro and mini Mac pro too(4Q13/2Q14), for CPU/GPU Hungry users w/o Xeon CPU, later 4Q13/2Q14 maybe available an all new Mac Pro with Xeon and UHD Cinema Displays.
Mago is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 02:55 AM   #514
twombles62
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mago View Post
I believe Apple will back to two-target product schemes on its mac book line:

STD and PRO.

the new MacBook (w/o any other appelative) being former Macbook Air, now with retina display (at some moment this year the entire Macbook Line will be on retina, most delayed will be former MBA due the Haswell delays (4Q13).

and Of Course the MacBook Pro with Retina Display but w/o the "retina" name.

Also Is feasible Later will se some iMac Pro and mini Mac pro too(4Q13/2Q14), for CPU/GPU Hungry users w/o Xeon CPU, later 4Q13/2Q14 maybe available an all new Mac Pro with Xeon and UHD Cinema Displays.
Ahh yes, I can't wait to contract the Macbook STD.
twombles62 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 09:25 PM   #515
negsrus
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Thank God for cMBP

The MBPr is a piece of trash. It's way too damn thin!! Why was is such a big deal to make it so much thinner!? Video editors after video editors complain time and time again that you can't do video editing on a working MBPr for more than about 4 hours before it overheats!!! That's a joke! Apple really screwed up! Who the hell was saying, "damn I really wish my MBP was thinner"!? We all just want a laptop with good specs with quality components, that's intuitive and easy to use, that doesn't overheat! I would pay the rip off price Apple charges if this were the case!
negsrus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 09:52 PM   #516
Xiroteus
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by negsrus View Post
The MBPr is a piece of trash. It's way too damn thin!! Why was is such a big deal to make it so much thinner!? Video editors after video editors complain time and time again that you can't do video editing on a working MBPr for more than about 4 hours before it overheats!!! That's a joke! Apple really screwed up! Who the hell was saying, "damn I really wish my MBP was thinner"!? We all just want a laptop with good specs with quality components, that's intuitive and easy to use, that doesn't overheat! I would pay the rip off price Apple charges if this were the case!
I personally like to have an optical drive however even if they kept the Macbook Pro the same size as before add the retina screen and maybe options for an optical drive or more hard drive space, battery life? I doubt most people would miss the current really thin Macbook if it was never released. I would focus on the power of the system, battery life etc..
Xiroteus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013, 07:08 AM   #517
chesuk
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikaru View Post
I have never ever updated or changed the battery, the RAM or the HDD of any personal laptop in my life. Very very very few people do those stuff.
EVERYONE I know personally know with a cMBP (about 10) has upgraded RAM and/or HDD/SSD

Interestingly almost all have replaced the optical drive with a 2nd HDD/SSD so I think the price+upgradabilty is more of a selling point than the optical

I have a 2011 13" MBP with 16GB RAM and 2*512GB SSD - it performs pretty well but sometimes I could do with the extra cores of the 15" but I don't want the size - the only dimension I don't care too much about is thickness which apple seems determined to reduce no matter what the sacrifice
chesuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 09:07 PM   #518
iRun26.2
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by entropi View Post
haha, the thoughts are more like this:

how old are the retina notebooks apple actually have released?
what are the benefits of pushing all those pixels around?
are those notebooks plauged by any issues?
are all software retina-optimized and in some cases - will it ever be?
is there any difference in moving pixels around on a small 3,5" phone-screen vs a 11" notebook-screen?
is the technology really ready yet?

nah, retina is nice - but not really necessary just yet. let real features lead instead of inefficient eyecandy!
Technical people dismiss it as 'eye candy'. End users recognize that 'it looks more like paper and it is so much easier on my eyes when I look at it for long period of time'.

Someday the only displays that you can see the pixels on will be on display in a museum. The beautification of everyday technical things (like what a retina screen adds) is where Steve was years ahead of others (who still deny its validity).
iRun26.2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 09:18 PM   #519
DisMyMac
macrumors 65816
 
DisMyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRun26.2 View Post
Someday the only displays that you can see the pixels on will be on display in a museum. The beautification of everyday technical things (like what a retina screen adds) is where Steve was years ahead of others (who still deny its validity).
Simulated reality, so real you can't tell... What do you think we're all living in?
DisMyMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 01:43 PM   #520
1=1?
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun, uk View Post
are you sure they are going to keep the antiglare option after the refresh?

They might drop the 15" mbp altogether and just keep the retina version on the 15" model.

They've done it before. Just keep the 13" mbp as a cheap entry level machine for those who don't want to pay the extra for the retina mbp.
id b so mad
__________________
2009 15" MacBook Pro : i5 2.53GHz;2011 17" MacBook Pro : i7 2.4GHz
iPad : Oldest School
1=1? is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When can we expect a Macbook Pro Retina refresh? Tydog07 MacBook Pro 18 Jan 21, 2014 02:05 PM
Retina Macbook Pro Refresh? Richy23 MacBook Pro 8 Jan 7, 2013 12:02 AM
iPad Mini Retina Refresh in June WWDC? metsjetsfan iPad 12 Oct 25, 2012 03:10 PM
Retina Macbook Pro Refresh adamvk MacBook Pro 13 Oct 14, 2012 12:42 AM
Next refresh of Retina Macbook Pro 15inch? ryan6000 Buying Tips and Advice 13 Sep 23, 2012 10:10 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC