Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WGR0918

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
Hello.

I have Mac OS X (10.5.8).

I have used the VLC player for quite a while. I can't figure this out, though (regrettably, I am not tech-savvy).

I have downloaded video that is in several avi files (100 mb) each, and the last file has a .zip extension and it is 75 mb.

I don't know how to make it all play together on VLC; the first avi file will play, then the rest won't.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks for any help.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
It sounds like you have a segmented ZIP archive. If this is the case, then you need to first join and unZIP the archive. If you have all of the segments of the archive in a single folder, then double-clicking on the .zip segment should join and unZIP the whole archive. The resulting file should be the complete .avi file that can be played in VLC or any other compatible player.

WGR0918

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
Thanks for your help. When I double-click on the zip segment, it says it is archiving the file, and the resulting file also has a zipper icon in front of it, with the extension .avi.zip.cpgz, and I still couldn't get it to play. I think it's a Mac thing, with those .cpgz files getting caught in a loop.

Finally downloaded theunarchiver, which worked.

again, thanks for looking at the prob.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.