Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

technano11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
I'm thankful that apple decided not to drop the iPod Classic, allowing it to be on sale for quite sometime. Will be really interested to buy one as soon as I save up enough to purchase a brand new:)
At the same time, how does the 7th gen fared as compared to 5/5.5?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I wouldn't be so sure just yet.. There could be iPod announcements at the iPad Keynote..
Apple quietly updated the iPod colors when they did the iPhone announcement on the 10th. I serious doubt they would've done a color update if they were going to do a product update a month later.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Maybe so, but they didn't do a color update to the iPod Classic which means it is over 5 years since it got any kind of update (even a simple hard drive upgrade that would take all of 2 man hours to do). At any point in time it will cease to exist as soon as an iPod touch 128gb is released it will be gone.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Maybe so, but they didn't do a color update to the iPod Classic which means it is over 5 years since it got any kind of update (even a simple hard drive upgrade that would take all of 2 man hours to do). At any point in time it will cease to exist as soon as an iPod touch 128gb is released it will be gone.

Ipod classic could be cheaper.... $250 is pretty expensive for what it is. I think a price drop would be more likely than anything else. It's kind of obsolete at this point. Even at $150 or $199 it's not really going to sell that much.

I wouldn't hold my breathe for a 128gb touch. Even then it will be a good 5-7 years before Apple will sell you that much memory for the $250 price point of the classic.

I have the a 30gb video iPod classic from 2005 and a 80gb one from 08 I think both when Apple gave good back to school deals. I gave my parents my 80gb one when I took away the express I gave them(keep droping signal during airplay). Put all their music in the 80gb drive and they never really have to use cds anymore nor do they harass me about burning them a CD(none of our computers have a cd drive any more)

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I'm thankful that apple decided not to drop the iPod Classic, allowing it to be on sale for quite sometime. Will be really interested to buy one as soon as I save up enough to purchase a brand new:)
At the same time, how does the 7th gen fared as compared to 5/5.5?

I'm confused about this sentence - what 7th gen? :confused:

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I'm confused about this sentence - what 7th gen? :confused:

Generation he means version
1st gen - no color and don't think it was a click wheel
2nd gen - click wheel bigger hd think was 20 (have)
3rd gen - color - 20gb
4th gen - video - 30 gb (had)
5th gen - video much bigger 80 gb (gave to my parents)
6th gen - bigger HD bumped to 160 or 180 I forget
7th gen - bigger HD bumped to 250 I thnk

The big worry is that your battery will die with the older version. My 2nd gen 20gb one is still kicking. Things the terminator. My 30gb video's battery or HD died and I sold it. 5th gen still works like a champ as well

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
3rd gen - color - 20gb

The big worry is that your battery will die with the older version. My 2nd gen 20gb one is still kicking. Things the terminator. My 30gb video's battery or HD died and I sold it. 5th gen still works like a champ as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_iPod_models

Seventh gen is either 2008 when they dropped the 80gb model in favor of 120gb or 160gb, or it's the one from 2009 that is only available in 160gb.

My 6th gen from 2007 still works fairly nicely. Might have to get a backup just in case though. 16gb in the phone just isn't enough ;)

Thanks - but technically they're still 6th gen so I wasn't going mad :p

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
3rd gen - color - 20gb

Erm, I think you've got a few of those generations a bit off - I know the 3G certainly did not have a color screen. The 4G "standard" iPod did not either, but the "iPod Photo" did - however, it did not have the ability to play video. That distinction belongs to the 5G. :) (owned all three :p)

NuggetSauce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2012
It really does need a price drop. A 160GB 2.5" optical hard drive goes for $40 online. And the rest of its hardware (cpu, ram, screen) is far cheaper than the iPhone/iPod Touch. They should bring it down to at least $199 if not $149.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
It really does need a price drop. A 160GB 2.5" optical hard drive goes for $40 online. And the rest of its hardware (cpu, ram, screen) is far cheaper than the iPhone/iPod Touch. They should bring it down to at least $199 if not $149.

even if they did they aren't going to be selling many more of them. It's really a very tiny market for these things. Being $99 bucks isn't going to make them sell like hot cakes either.

Speaking of that my 2004 one just died...... RIP my friend. Plugged it in the Mac symbol came on then the battery didnt charged now nothing :(. Very faithful and true:apple:

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

A 2.5" 160GB HD might retail for that, however iPods require a ZIF connector 1.8" HD and you won't get a compatible 160GB HD for $40 online. Unfortunately, these ZIF HDs are pretty much obsolete for computers now with mSATA SSDs now becoming quite affordable, so their price is not likely to dip much lower.

A clean refurbed (i.e. ex-display, never switched on) 7th Gen can be had in the UK for £109 in the UK, which is a reasonable price for what it is now. Mine was unmarked and the battery seems unused. Only the box seemed tatty.

Atrin1

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2012
Dallas
i love my ipod classic and glad they are still selling them!

i use mine everyday, as it stay in the glove box of my car. its hooked up to a double din pioneer unit with an awesome interface. huge music library makes it a great way to use the classic

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Texas
Well, I think my 30GB video Ipod finally crapped out, I have had issues with it such as the screen having a huge "crack" on it, the buttons sticking, but now it wont turn on so I guess is good bye, not paying the price they are asking for a new one and cant find a good one for a reasonable price on amazon.

technano11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
Thanks guys for all the reply! Currently i have been looking up my local online classified, places that sell used iPods and managed to purchase several of them.

White 5.5
Black 5.5 X2
Black 5

Honestly, from what i heard, it gives stronger,richer and fuller bass as compared to others. but that's my personal opinion.
still hoping to purchase that limited edition U2 iPod :D

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.