Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

conundrumz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
Arizona
Long time lurker, first time poster here. This a great forum for learning about all things Apple.

Anyway, today is the day. I've been lusting for a new Macbook Air for quite a while and the UPS guy should be delivering the goods.

I currently have an early-2008 Macbook Pro running Lion OSX and was wondering about the best way to get stuff off of the MBP to the new MBA. I use Time Machine with a 1TB external OWC On-the-Go (usb connection) to backup my MBP.

To transfer files and such from the MBP to the new MBA, do I plug the MBP directly into the MBA at startup or should I use a backup from the external hard drive to transfer files and such? I've read through the Apple Support website and it sounds easy to do either way. Is it?

Thanks for any insight.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You can go either way, but with the MBA unless you have an adaptor of some sort, you won't be able to connect directly to the MBP.

I would just make sure your Time Machine USB backup is current, then plug that in to the new MBA and use Migration Assistant to import everything. Make sure you do this when you first start the new machine and before setting up an account or anything. It will bring in your account and all apps and settings/data.

marcperrot

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2012
Canada
I setup my new MBA a couple days ago and used Migration Assistant. It comes up in the setup and asks you if you want to transfer anything from your old Mac. Then you just open Migration Assistant on the old Mac and they transfer the files and settings you choose wirelessly. It took some time, but it was really convenient.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
When I switched from my MBP to a MBA, I used my Time Machine drive as I didn't have the correct method of connecting the two computers together. It worked brilliantly and I was back to using my computer exactly as I had it on the Pro.

conundrumz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
Arizona
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the Time Machine transfer may be the easiest and quickest.

Still waiting for the UPS guy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.