Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richy23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2010
At some point this year I'm hoping to upgrade from my 2009 17" Macbook Pro and am targeting the 15" Retina Macbook Pro. I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea of when they may be refreshed this year?

As I'm at university I know I can get education discount, and that they also run a 'back to school' promotion throughout the summer.

Is it likely that they'll refresh the Retina Macbook Pro's before August/September?

Just wondering when it'll be best to buy!

Thank you! :):apple:

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
There will be something done to help spark renewed interest in their products. It happens every year.

Probably safest to expect sometime before the end of the year. I think expecting it sooner might a bit too optimistic.

I would expect there to be some sort of refinement to the CPU options (like slightly higher clock speeds), perhaps some additional storage options, and maybe something like bumping up RAM options to 16GB. Other than that, I wouldn't expect them to do anything more than that until somewhere in the first half of 2014.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Given that the Haswell processors are expected sometime in late Q2, based on Apple's history it seems reasonable to think that both the 15" and 13" rMBPs will be updated late summer (perhaps August to catch the back to school crowd). I think the 13" came out a bit later this year because of yield issues with the display, since certainly the rest of the parts were available as they are common throughout the MacBook line.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
At some point this year I'm hoping to upgrade from my 2009 17" Macbook Pro and am targeting the 15" Retina Macbook Pro. I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea of when they may be refreshed this year?

As I'm at university I know I can get education discount, and that they also run a 'back to school' promotion throughout the summer.

Is it likely that they'll refresh the Retina Macbook Pro's before August/September?

Just wondering when it'll be best to buy!

Thank you! :):apple:
I'm planning on waiting it out as well. The back to school sale works with the education discount?

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Although I do think you'll get a refresh before the back to school promotion, the retina is probably not marketed at the "back to school" crowd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.