Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
The boat is the only thing that really makes the shot original at all, and if someone goes out on a boat there fairly often, even that is questionable. It's an ok shot, but it's not worthy of thinking someone is trying to rip it off. Like I said.. it's a basic landscape shot that anyone could have taken.

Apparently you didn't read a word from all that I wrote. :::sigh::::

farbRausch

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2012
I'm glad that it seems to work out well for you.
I think the internet desensitised people for what copyright and appreciation really is. Someone who is at Facebook probably see people all day posting pictures without crediting the artist. Not only is this behaviour disrespectful: If the artist was mentioned someone might look him up and order a print. Thus, resulting in a loss of money. The same holds true for pages like 9gag.com etc, I think it's a shame...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The boat is the only thing that really makes the shot original at all, and if someone goes out on a boat there fairly often, even that is questionable. It's an ok shot, but it's not worthy of thinking someone is trying to rip it off. Like I said.. it's a basic landscape shot that anyone could have taken.

There are many things in this world that are copied that may confuse people why anyone even bothered. Declaring a photo not worthy of plagiarism simply because you don't personally like it is inane. Phrasikleia really said it best and just managed to touch the very tip of what a good landscape photographer really goes through to capture a shot.

Doylem, I'm glad it worked out for you in the long run.

Sammorama

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2013
It's a really nice picture but hardly a dynamic or unusual composition at all.

The similarities are indeed stark but I really don't think it's straightforward too level plagiarism on a quite standard type of composition.

Enjoy the compliment of replication!

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
I just googled the lake and found this web page with the same photo and boat.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ol...n-2012-Festival-Event-Highlights.html?image=8

Interesting

Looks like a common photo of the lake.

And another link with the same photo...

http://lifeisreallybeautiful.com/tag/lake-windermere-monster/

Guess everyone is stealing boylem's photo of the lake

That doesn't appear to be the same photo. That looks like it was taken at a very slightly different time than the photo Doylem posted. I'm guessing Doylem posted more than one of his photos on the internet.

Because it's a very basic, average landscape shot. ;)

Let me make this clear:

1. You cannot exactly replicate a landscape shot. Period. There is no "generic" landscape shot, because each and every one of them is unique, even between two taken at the exact same location, at the exact same time of the year and day with exactly the same cloud coverage. There is always something a little different. And with this specific shot it's very easy to point out that those clouds are hard to come by in that area, the light and wind direction are also very uncommon, and the light quality is very unique. All the copies of the photo are the same photo.

2. The Telegraph properly accredits the photographer, and is a clearly authorized use of the photograph.

3. That thumbnail is clearly not "stealing" since the poster is not making monetary gains from it. It's still under fair use and is not a violation of copyright. Now if that blog puts a paywall up then it's a blatant violation, but as it is right now it's fine.

Those are copies of the photograph, yes, but they also abide by the copyright.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
No, they are clearly not. There are plenty of differences. Look again.

Telegraph: Taken within 4, 5 minutes of each other, if not the same photograph with a weird white JPEG artifact in the middle; either way obviously taken by the same person.
Blog: same photo, same person.

Point being, it's both Doylem's and it's both used correctly (licensed or under fair use).

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Phew... just got back from a couple of days taking pix... and my thread is still going! Phrasikleia is right, as always! :)

I wasn't saying my pic was good... only that it was distinctive. It took me 0.001 of a second, having seen the print, to realise it was my pic. There are so many variables - as Phrasikleia lists - and they all match up.

I appreciate that 'stuff on the internet' is regarded as free for the taking. And that copyright sounds so 'last century'. Well, until it's your pic that's plagiarised for profit...

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I appreciate that 'stuff on the internet' is regarded as free for the taking. And that copyright sounds so 'last century'. Well, until it's your pic that's plagiarised for profit...
While I agree with you, in this case you also have to take into account that it is a derivative work. The laws and definitions can change as a result.

In any case this has been an interesting thread. Glad you will be seeing some royalties as a result.

I recently found one of my images on a page by using the Google search. Unfortunately it is some crappy ad scraping page that is hot linking. I'll have to see if I can blacklist the domain. It is something I have considered adding to my image server but haven't gotten to it yet.

The sea turtle on the offending page is my picture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.