Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 27, 2013, 12:23 PM   #51
quagmire
macrumors 603
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by G51989 View Post
So you do complain about the same people who drive bio diesel cars that smell far worse than my car? And in many cases are even louder? Or the commercial trucks that often put out huge plumes of black smoke and smell worse and are just as and sometimes louder? Or people in mopeds or motorcycles that are much more often louder and smell even worth ( 2 strokes )?
Never been behind a vehicle running BioDiesel so I can't comment. Plus, I think the smell of french fries is better then fuel...

My issue isn't with the noise like I said. The issue is the smell.....

As for commercial trucks, yes it sucks to be behind them. Until they have the same emission standards as our heavy duty trucks do with the UREA injection, etc that is something we all have to live with.

But, your car comes with something that cleans the exhaust and gets rid of that smell. There is no reason to remove it and I can't stand people who do. It's bad enough to be behind vehicles like semi's that don't have devices that stop the black crap coming out of their exhausts, etc. It's worse knowing the car that I am following has had its cats removed because the owner wanted to make it louder..... And since it is a Corvette, there are a lot better options out there to make a 'Vette louder than to poison everyone behind them by removing their cats.


Quote:
Typically blinding HID's are cheaper. As the nice one's don't blind people with the proper housings. The people who put cheap blinding HIDs in their cars couldn't afford most of my cars.
I know and they are jerks. Their car is not equipped to use HID bulbs so they shouldn't put them on unless they put them in the projector housing. I shouldn't be blinded in order for them to look cool.....

Quote:
You probably hold people up at the checkout line by taking to long, no one complains about that. Where do you get off complaining about a car that you should hardly hear or smell if your windows are up?

Turn on your Air Con.
Nope I don't hold people up at checkout. I try to get out of there ASAP( especially at Costco!).

My windows are up with the A/C on, but guess where the car gets the air? Outside......
__________________
Crimes against US History:
CV-6 USS Enterprise
Yankee Stadium
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 08:49 PM   #52
G51989
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York State
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Never been behind a vehicle running BioDiesel so I can't comment. Plus, I think the smell of french fries is better then fuel...
It starts out as fries But eventually as the car ages, it smells like a rancid Pizza shop frier that needs to be cleaned.

Quote:
My issue isn't with the noise like I said. The issue is the smell.....
It makes no smell different than a classic pre 1970s car, or a commercial truck. You really need to be standing behind it to smell it. Should we ban all classic cars?

Quote:
But, your car comes with something that cleans the exhaust and gets rid of that smell. There is no reason to remove it and I can't stand people who do.
Several reasons.

1: Increased performance.
2: increased MPG
3: Increased engine responsiveness
4: Allows me to completely complete my custom built stainless steel exhaust. Which still has small resonators and mufflers, so its not straight piped loud.

Quote:
It's bad enough to be behind vehicles like semi's that don't have devices that stop the black crap coming out of their exhausts, etc.
That " black crap " is actually a sign of much more efficant combustion. It is a little annoying tho.

Quote:
It's worse knowing the car that I am following has had its cats removed because the owner wanted to make it louder..... And since it is a Corvette, there are a lot better options out there to make a 'Vette louder than to poison everyone behind them by removing their cats.
I can make it louder with a fully custom stainless steel exhaust, which happens to remove the cats, which provides a nice small, and different vocal tone.

I see no reason to leave the cats on it.

Quote:
I know and they are jerks. Their car is not equipped to use HID bulbs so they shouldn't put them on unless they put them in the projector housing. I shouldn't be blinded in order for them to look cool.....
A good HID kit can cost over 2,000 dollars. They aren't cheap. A proper housing and blub, like the one that comes stock with my Corvette are very good, and do not blind anyone. Its the cheap badly aimed kits that blind people.

Quote:
My windows are up with the A/C on, but guess where the car gets the air? Outside......
So you can really smell it? Can you smell every pre 1970s car? I've followed my own car in my truck before, and I couldn't smell it.
G51989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:25 PM   #53
krazykleo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Everywhere and nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
I'm no longer in my teens or 20s so my car is no longer an extension of my penis.
Very well said!!!

But to combat this problem I bought a motorcycle lol
krazykleo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:07 AM   #54
Tomorrow
macrumors 603
 
Tomorrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Always a day away
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzhu07 View Post
How do you guys who live in states that mandate front licenses deal with it?
I...put one on the front and one on the back, like I'm supposed to.

Is this a trick question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
Lucky you. We have front facing, rear facing and average speed cameras over here. All designed to tax the unfortunate motorist who hasn't got a speed camera detection app in his car.
Never heard of a speed camera detection app. For that matter, I've never heard of a speed camera. But then, I drive within the legal speed limits, so I don't worry about it.
__________________
I would scream just to be heard, as if yelling at the stars - I was bleeding just to feel.
You would never say a word, kept me reaching in the dark - always something to conceal.
Tomorrow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:25 AM   #55
samiwas
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by G51989 View Post
Or the commercial trucks that often put out huge plumes of black smoke and smell worse and are just as and sometimes louder? Or people in mopeds or motorcycles that are much more often louder and smell even worth ( 2 strokes )?
If there are two things on the road I hate more than anything else, it's the trucks billowing clouds of smoke (you would think this would be illegal) and motorcycles which have a driver who prefers revving the deafening engine every .3 seconds. Oh, wait...a third...any car that has whatever modification made to it that makes it sound like a loud chainsaw driving down the road.
__________________
A lack of planning on your part should not constitute an emergency on mine.
samiwas is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NJ DMV denies woman "8THEIST" license plate yg17 Politics, Religion, Social Issues 59 Apr 23, 2014 10:44 AM
License Plate question 3lite Community Discussion 7 Sep 22, 2013 12:07 PM
Aesthetic Question (actually like 80% aesthetic, 20% practical) leerkeller Mac Basics and Help 6 Apr 27, 2013 04:13 AM
iPhone 5 front plate not flush with enclosure? iParis iPhone 12 Sep 28, 2012 12:33 PM
Resolved: Software for very minor photo edits (i.e.: blurring license plate) beyondthesmile Mac Applications and Mac App Store 6 Jul 6, 2012 01:37 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC