Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joyhjelm

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2013
Why are they camping out

Find out why.... by following these campers on twitter at @sym_jon to see this is actually a very smart marketing move by a small business.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Even still, unemployment is the sort of thing people like to moan about but everyone on here would take advantage of if they suddenly lost their job and were unable to find work. People only care about these things when it happens to them, and they think it never will.

Really? I would think most people are comforted by the fact that it's there. I am!

mrxak

macrumors 68000
I doubt it. The percentage of total sales by these mindless lemmings is minuscule.

Considering the "S" model is historically not revolutionary, one really has to question the reason to wait so long for one.

Sounds like you're already making excuses for lower sales of the 5S and/or reasons people are NOT going upgrade to it. I guess in 3 days, you can come back here with a big "I told you so!" or come back for a public tongue lashing! Nobody knows for sure, even yourself.

The percentage of total sales by these people is minuscule, yes, but the press coverage is free advertising worth millions of dollars.

I'm not going to get into a debate over your use of the word "revolutionary". I'll leave that to somebody else who wants to take the bait.

I'm not making any excuses for anything. The 5S will sell better than the 5 did, just as every other iPhone has sold better than the last. I'm merely saying that iPhone 5 owners aren't likely to buy the 5S, just as iPhone 4S owners weren't likely to buy the 5, or iPhone 4 owners weren't likely to buy the 4S, or iPhone 3GS owners weren't likely to buy the 4... Only a very few gadget freaks with too much money laying around upgrade their phones every year. The vast majority of iPhone buyers are either first time iPhone buyers, or own a model at least 18 months old. That's just a fact.

----------

Trustafarians.
Community organizers.
Educator sabbaticals.
Interns.
Consultants.
Post office employees.

Or this is their job, and they're paid to be there to promote something else.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
That was true even in 2007. There NEVER was a reason to camp in front of a phone store just to get a phone that you could always order online. I wonder how much of Apple's marketing money goes into this campaign...

The 1st Generation iPhone was not available online. Don't remember about the 2nd Gen. But the 3rd Gen was DEFINITELY available online.

malofx

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2012
Los Angeles
So, since the iPhone was not available for sale on the 10th, did these people just get in line for nothing? just wondering, but even if it was available the same day, I mean you can just wait one more day and have it deliver the next day.

Huracan

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
I wonder if there is any update on the growth or shrinkage of the line after the announcement of iPhone 5s and 5c

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.