Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
London
Pretty inventive idea, the employee preferred to spend his time at his desk watching cat videos so found someone in China to do his software developing job for him for a fraction of his wage!....

"A security check on a US company has reportedly revealed one of its staff was outsourcing his work to China.

The software developer, in his 40s, is thought to have spent his workdays surfing the web, watching cat videos on YouTube and browsing Reddit and eBay.

He reportedly paid just a fifth of his six-figure salary to a company based in Shenyang to do his job.

Operator Verizon says the scam came to light after the US firm asked it for an audit, suspecting a security breach..........."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21043693

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Oh I don't know, I am pretty impressed with this guy's idea despite the security risk it could pose if the sub-contractor would have been less than genuine with his intentions.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Oh I don't know, I am pretty impressed with this guy's idea despite the security risk it could pose if the sub-contractor would have been less than genuine with his intentions.

Yeah, until somebody finds out that he outsourced his job, then fires him to save money and the job actually becomes outsourced.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Ironically, the sub-contractor was the best developer in the company. The Employee won awards as being the best developer, year after year. Though, obviously they weren't that bright... how hard would it have been to have the code sent to themselves, and then checked it into the system from their own terminal? Would have been much harder to catch.

I suspect there are a few legitimate employees who are now worried the company may officially do what "Bob" was doing under the table.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
This guy is a genius.

If it comes out that this guys name is Wally (Dilbert reference), I'm probably going to laugh about it for at least ten years.

John Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
Columbia, MD
Though, obviously they weren't that bright... how hard would it have been to have the code sent to themselves, and then checked it into the system from their own terminal?

That wouldn't have worked. The outsourced company workers would have needed to access to the system environment to read engineering documents and to compile and test the code they wrote.

Or in other words, it would have worked but then Bob would have had to do quite some work himself.

avflinsch

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2011
Outsourced

Poor Bob gets fired, but if someone 2 steps up the corporate ladder did the same thing to Bob's entire department they would probably get a bonus & promotion.

Yes, I am a bit cynical, but I have seen too many good workers have their positions exported overseas.

And1ss

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
I have to say, this was a pretty smart idea. Guess it was good while it lasted...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.