Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:55 PM   #1
Squilly
macrumors 68020

You Don't Exist

It's extremely difficult to grasp. I haven't even fully grasped it yet.

Last edited by SandboxGeneral; Dec 3, 2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Added YouTube tags
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:06 PM   #2
Renzatic
macrumors 604

I've always found this subject fascinating. The fact the universe exists as we see it is because we're here to see the universe is about as truly mind bending as you can possibly get. Just about everything involving quantum physics has a tendency to annoyingly redefine reality as we know it.

Okay, I'm gonna finish watching the rest of this then go get drunk.

edit: if you want to get really weirded out, think of this. The first line of the video mentions the usual "first, there was nothing". What is nothing? How can nothing exist when it's existence negates it's very existence. How can anything happen in nothing? What is nothing? Is it a big empty space? A big empty space, while being filled with nothing, is something in and of itself because it possesses dimensionality.

So was the big bang really a lot of nothing exploding into nearly infinite something from an infinitesimally small point, or was this nothing really something modern physics can't currently define changing states?

Last edited by Renzatic; Dec 3, 2012 at 10:12 PM.
Renzatic is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:15 PM   #3
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
I've always found this subject fascinating. The fact the universe exists as we see it is because we're here to see the universe is about as truly mind bending as you can possibly get. Just about everything involving quantum physics has a tendency to annoyingly redefine reality as we know it.

edit: if you want to get really weirded out, think of this. The first line of the video mentions the usual "first, there was nothing". What is nothing? How can nothing exist when it's existence negates it's very existence. How can anything happen in nothing? What is nothing? Is it a big empty space? A big empty space, while being filled with nothing, is something in and of itself because it possesses dimensionality.

So was the big bang really a lot of nothing exploding into nearly infinite something from an infinitesimally small point, or was this nothing really something modern physics can't currently define changing states?
Uhh... you sure you weren't drunk when writing that last part?
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:17 PM   #4
Renzatic
macrumors 604

I can't hold my liquor for ****.
Renzatic is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:20 PM   #5
eric/

You can prove it to yourself that you exist, that's it.

*edit*

watched some of the video

Take that with a grain of salt, it's just one theory among many. By no means is anything here *confirmed* at all.

But to be fair,

the idea that we don't exist, or that everything is an illusion can be attributed to Rene Descartes.

Last edited by eric/; Dec 3, 2012 at 10:25 PM.
eric/ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:12 PM   #6
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020

TL;DW

Don't exist? I (and because I exist, I can do this) disagree. To be honest, I think people (specifically those in the video) are over thinking things. How can we all perceive the same thing. We may have different opinions, but we all see and feel the same thing.
Comeagain? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:13 PM   #7
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeagain? View Post
TL;DW

Don't exist? I (and because I exist, I can do this) disagree. To be honest, I think people (specifically those in the video) are over thinking things. How can we all perceive the same thing. We may have different opinions, but we all see and feel the same thing.
One consciousness, apparently. Centralized somewhere apparently O.o
Squilly is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:23 PM   #8
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
One consciousness, apparently. Centralized somewhere apparently O.o
Skynet... Siri... The iCloud!
Comeagain? is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:26 PM   #9
boss.king
macrumors 68040

Although I've always found this sort of thing interesting, I think the video shows a very overreaching explanation of things.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:22 AM   #10
Renzatic
macrumors 604

I don't think I've ever heard that it's common consensus that we or the universe don't actually exist. Rather it's that the universe exists differently when we aren't around. The most dryly scientific explanation is that everything is waveform when there are no observers present, and collapses into a particle based universe when there is.

...or if you prefer the weirder almost new age zen style explanation, it changes from a system of infinite possibilities into a system where a singular possibility has occurred when there's an observer present.

Like if a tree falls in a forest, does it make a sound? If no one's there to witness it, then it exists in a state where the tree has fallen, hasn't fallen, or maybe exploded into bees until someone walks upon it. When someone happens upon it, they might see the tree has fallen, and thus made a sound at some point. Or not.

So why doesn't it change back when that person leaves? Can the tree pick itself up again and become not-fallen? Why is it that if the tree has fallen in my reality, it's also fallen in yours? Why isn't reality subjective to the viewer if everything's potential until that initial witnessing by a singular observer? I have no idea. Quantum mechanics are weird.

Last edited by Renzatic; Dec 4, 2012 at 12:38 AM.
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:34 AM   #11
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:

This is why I prefer the reverse order: get drunk first, then finish watching it and ask a lot of theoretical questions. If you get drunk first, then when it doesn't make sense, you'll have an excuse. Or if it does make sense, you'll also have an excuse.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:40 AM   #12
Renzatic
macrumors 604

All I know is when I get drunk, I get surly.
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:45 PM   #13
Mousse
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeagain? View Post
TL;DW

Thank you, Mr Descartes. Well put sir. Cogito ergo sum.

Quote:
I don't think I've ever heard that it's common consensus that we or the universe don't actually exist. Rather it's that the universe exists differently when we aren't around. The most dryly scientific explanation is that everything is waveform when there are no observers present, and collapses into a particle based universe when there is.
So if it weren't for me, none of you would exist, right? Or if I weren't for you, I wouldn't exist.

So how drunk do I have to be before this stuff starts making sense?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:24 PM   #14
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousse View Post
So how drunk do I have to be before this stuff starts making sense?
We'll let you know when you get there.
Comeagain? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:06 PM   #15
F1 Fan
macrumors regular

To quote Kryten...

If that's gotta make sense, I don't wanna be sober!
F1 Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:09 PM   #16
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
All I know is when I get drunk, I get surly.
I just get sleepy. And don't call me Shirley!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:44 PM   #17
0dev
macrumors 68040

So, there are scientific theories which back up solipsism?
0dev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:12 PM   #18
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dev View Post
So, there are scientific theories which back up solipsism?
You of course know this, but it is both irrefutable and indefensible. Thus, it doesn't lend itself to the scientific method.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion