2010 MBA - Slow Painful Death? - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:11 PM   #26
TheRealDamager
macrumors 65816

Not feeding trolls, just correcting bad information.

You comment about Consumer Reports is just wrong. The reliability reviews they completed in 2012 is for machines built and purchased from 2009-2012.

You comment about Applecare is similarly nonsensical. Some people buy Applecare and some dont, just like some people buy warranties from Dell or IBM or Best Buy and some don't. Having a warranty has nothing to do with whether your machine has needed a repair. It just affects who has to pay for it.
TheRealDamager is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:00 AM   #27
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangezorki View Post
I think that your point is valid, but it is regarding user-servicability of the devices, not their overall reliability. If it goes wrong (which I'm not convinced is any more than any other computer), then repairing is a major pain in the arse and/or wallet. Sometimes, Apple do walk into problems pushing the boundaries of size and features, but even that is surprisingly rare.

David
I find it funny that people say that these things are rare, every major apple product except the iPod itself has had some form of issue reported in the media since at least 2007, iOS device screen issues, Time Capsules frying themselves, iMac LCD Panels not being sealed properly and sucking in dirt, iMac HDDs, rMBP screen ghosting, MBP GPU failures, the list is pretty extensive and across the range every year.

Dell/HP/Sony/Samsung/Philips etc etc doesn't have this level of failure of aa flagship product every year, year on year, sure they may have A bad product now and then, but not a bad product EVERY product cycle.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:29 AM   #28
Beanoir
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightarchaon View Post
I find it funny that people say that these things are rare, every major apple product except the iPod itself has had some form of issue reported in the media since at least 2007, iOS device screen issues, Time Capsules frying themselves, iMac LCD Panels not being sealed properly and sucking in dirt, iMac HDDs, rMBP screen ghosting, MBP GPU failures, the list is pretty extensive and across the range every year.

Dell/HP/Sony/Samsung/Philips etc etc doesn't have this level of failure of aa flagship product every year, year on year, sure they may have A bad product now and then, but not a bad product EVERY product cycle.
Its true, Apple uses hardware in their machines that is no better than any other manufacturer and has just as many issues as any other. The difference being the cases are higher quality generally, and the software tends to be more stable, which is why people are happier to pay a premium over a DELL/HP/Lenovo etc.

What you are doing wrong is trying to convince people like Real Damager and a whole forum of people looking at their Apple Macs with rose tinted specs on
Macbook Air 11.6" 1.6Ghz i5 / 4Gb / 128Gb
Beanoir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:22 AM   #29
Truffy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Mac hardware reliability is ***** compared to any other computer hardware out there, apples marketing dept works hard to make the shiny exterior LOOK good, the hardware itself is no more, and often a lot less, reliable than any other PC on the market,

Mostly apple hardware suffers from being "bleeding edge" , untested and 1st gen of new tech in a consumer environment,
I have been using Macs for over 10 years and, hard disks aside, this doesn't equate with my experience.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:33 PM   #30
2IS
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPurpleblob View Post
No
Yes
2IS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:25 AM   #31
akdj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Mac hardware reliability is ***** compared to any other computer hardware out there, apples marketing dept works hard to make the shiny exterior LOOK good, the hardware itself is no more, and often a lot less, reliable than any other PC on the market,

Mostly apple hardware suffers from being "bleeding edge" , untested and 1st gen of new tech in a consumer environment,

Look at the recent history of apples "Faults", Time Capsules, 1st gen TCs fried themselves because of shoddy capacitors, Mac Book Pros retina display 1st gen, ghosting issues, Ipad/Iphone/Ipod touch screens yellowing issues, iMac mass hard-drive recall (of a proprietary, non-user purchasable, non-user replaceable part that any other PC user could have fixed themselves)

Apples "Reliability" and "Build Quality" apply to the Cases, not the insides, the insides are built by the same underpaid, overwork factory workers that build your DELL or HP or any other PC, from the same parts, sourced as cheaply as possible, the only difference between the Mac and the PC you buy apart from the operating system and case is the 30%+ markup apple are selling it to you at.
This may be the biggest line of BS I've read in a long time! Thanks for the laugh though...I should go let my son's 2006 white MacBook know it's time to die. Shoot...I've got a second gen iPod in my truck filled to it's 10GB rim with 2,000 songs. It's lived in my truck for the past five years...in Alaska, never failed. Even the click wheel still works! It's black n white but the contrast is excellent. I held on to my original iPhone! Still boots up n works great as a secondary work out iPod.
Yeah, shame Seagate threw out some bad drives in 2010/2011. I've got a 21.5" iMac from both years. The 2011 has been replaced already under the recall (it never failed. Nor has my 2010)... The 2010 will go in for an HDD replacement when we finish up our Christmas and holiday party season. That said, I can't imagine a 'better' response from a company than "bring in your almost three year old computer...we will replace your hard drive because a significant amount are failing!" I didn't ask. They contacted me!
I've also got a rMBP. LG screen. Almost four months old. No IR. Apple will, no questions asked, typically replace a product on the spot within that first year. OR they turn around repairs in 24-48 hours! Exemplary customer service. I've had every other version of the AirPort Extreme, including version 1. Didn't fry itself. We've got two old PowerBooks that we still use for offloading p2 cards in the field. It's a proprietary card that captures video in Panasonic video cams. They slide right into the old PCMCIA slot! Work great, still! Seven. Years. Later! Screens are getting a bit dim...or possibly they were always that way and screen tech has evolved to today's brightness, contrast, and color. I'm not sure what you're going on about. I've paid my mortgage for the better part of two decades with my computer. Switching to OSx eight years ago was the BEST move we have ever made! We rely on our computers to make money. We have to trust them. Audiences of 4,000 folks and bigger don't want 'dead air'. I wouldn't ever have trusted a single Windows computer for any task. There was always redundancy. Since switching, my experience couldn't be any more opposite than yours. As well, your stats about CR are all goofed up! Those surveys are taken at strategically different times post purchase. 30 days, 180 days, 1-2 & 3 year intervals. Don't ask how I know
Time and time again, almost 90% of computer purchasing folk completely disagree with your position
I should also mention, my wife and I have been blessed enough to own each iteration of the iPhone. And iPad. Never a yellow screen. Never an uneven backlight. None of the other overblown embellished BS one learns from spending way, WAY too much time on a Mac trouble shooting forum. Are there issues? You bet! There definitely will be a rotten apple or two in the basket. Cool thing is, Apple is behind you 100% and will make it good. Dell, HP, Lenovo, Sony (the absolute worst!! Even their professional broadcast dept sucks!), and any other PC manufacturer you can name can't come anywhere close to the support and post purchase 'help' that Apple offers, for Free!

J
akdj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:23 AM   #32
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
My wife's MacBook was purchased May 2006. Works just fine.
Same here. Although my macbook pro is from 2010, it shows less ageing than form my previous PCs 2 years later. I only had a hard drive failure once, which was bound to happen and has happened with some of my previous PCs. The other time it was windows which corrupted it. I guess making it a PC disadvantaged it.

Honestly, I wonder why people feel like they have something to prove against Apple.
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:18 AM   #33
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Still rocking a 2008 MBP.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:33 AM   #34
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanoir View Post
Its true, Apple uses hardware in their machines that is no better than any other manufacturer and has just as many issues as any other. The difference being the cases are higher quality generally, and the software tends to be more stable, which is why people are happier to pay a premium over a DELL/HP/Lenovo etc.

What you are doing wrong is trying to convince people like Real Damager and a whole forum of people looking at their Apple Macs with rose tinted specs on
I love my Macbook Pro (early 08, GPU failed, HDD failed, Supadrive failed, all replaced) and my iMac (Mid 2011, Screen dust issue, HDD recall issue), my iPad (third attempt to get one with a decent screen), i am just pointing out that my experience, and that of my mac owning friends is FAR from apple being a superior product hardware wise, everyone i know has had issues, both myself and friends of mine who have bought Dell, or HP "off the shelf" have just had things that work with no problems.

Over the last decade + i have had more faulty Apple equipment than anything else (in fact i have had ONLY faulty apple equipment over anything else)

these problems i live with, because i want a light, easy to use, unix under the hood OS that handles everything i throw at it.

I am not an apple hater, but i am a realist, and i know that aside from the posh case, the apple is a cheap Chinese PC produced for the lowest possible amount to sell for the highest possible profit.

Dont you love capitalism
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:59 PM   #35
ChasingFrames
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMan287 View Post
Do you have OnyX installed on there?
I do not. I'll give it a shot, and then do a fresh install next week (can't stand the thought of trying to do it during finals week). I might pop by the genius bar just to see if it's something they can diagnose, since I work next door, but if all else fails I've been rolling my pennies for a good long while.

As to comments about the reliability: I honestly think that with the kind of abuse this thing has seen, it has every right to give up the ghost after two years. The next one, however, will have proper coverage just in case.
ChasingFrames is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:46 PM   #36
ChrisMan287
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingFrames View Post
I do not. I'll give it a shot.
Just click everything under Automation and let the thing run lol

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air