New iMac has arrived. How can I check it out for issues? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:07 AM   #1
zipp96
macrumors newbie

Smile New iMac has arrived. How can I check it out for issues?

I was a loyal Windows user forever. However, I hate Windows 8. So I made the jump to the iMac.

I purchased it on Feb 9 and it arrived yesterday. I plan on setting it up tomorrow. After reading about issues on here with the new iMacs how can I test out mine to see if it has any of the issues? I have seen the yellow screen, monitor issues, and also issues with the Fusion drive posted on here.

The following are the specs on my iMac. I will be upgrading the memory in a couple of weeks myself.

•3.4GHz Intel Core i7 Quad-Core
•8GB of 1600Hz DDR3 RAM
•3TB Fusion Drive
•nVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX Graphics (2GB)

I am sure I will have lots of questions.

Thanks in advance.
zipp96 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:17 AM   #2
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp96 View Post
I was a loyal Windows user forever. However, I hate Windows 8. So I made the jump to the iMac.

I purchased it on Feb 9 and it arrived yesterday. I plan on setting it up tomorrow. After reading about issues on here with the new iMacs how can I test out mine to see if it has any of the issues? I have seen the yellow screen, monitor issues, and also issues with the Fusion drive posted on here.

The following are the specs on my iMac. I will be upgrading the memory in a couple of weeks myself.

•3.4GHz Intel Core i7 Quad-Core
•8GB of 1600Hz DDR3 RAM
•3TB Fusion Drive
•nVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX Graphics (2GB)

I am sure I will have lots of questions.

Thanks in advance.
Honestly you have to just use it. You'll notice things that aren't normal after using it for days!
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:28 PM   #3
dandrewk
macrumors regular

We all know that if examined closely enough, flaws will be found. Maybe to the point of being blown out of proportion. This section is filled with such posts.

However, the OP does have a legitimate request. I've only just ordered my iMac, so I have little to offer except the screen retention test:

http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html

Any other suggestions as to methods of testing for light leaks, yellow screen etc. would be helpful. Let the new user check out their investment and decide, -for themselves-, the importance of the "issue".
dandrewk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:08 PM   #4
Lankyman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I was a loyal Windows user forever. However, I hate Windows 8. So I made the jump to the iMac
Something of a weak excuse for jumping to the iMac don't you think? You could have stuck with Windows 7 or installed the Classic start menu with 8. Why not simply say I fancied a change from Windows so I've bought myself a Mac.

You don't need to justify your purchase or make excuses.
Lankyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:15 PM   #5
gzigoris
macrumors member

Like you I was a long time windows user and came to the Darkside with an iMac 27" just about the same setup you have. I got my Mac on the 6th of March so I haven't had it long.

Personally I think the best thing you can do is use it. You will run into things you don't understand and will have to figure them out. that's the best part of the Mac if you like that sort of thing. I sure do. figuring out the little problems is fun and you learn a lot that way.

Give it a shot but don't give up. it really has a been a lot of fun. I think my wife thinks that the newness has worn off cause tomorrow she tries it for the first time. I just hope that I get it back.

George
gzigoris is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:57 PM   #6
DerekS
macrumors regular

Just relax and use it.

If anything is wrong you will notice it soon enough. Remember it has a year warranty on it, so you're covered.
DerekS is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac