Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:25 AM   #1
RussellJones
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Ipad 4 viewing angles

I got my iPad 4 yesterday as an upgrade from my 1st, the screen is great, when it is square in front of my eyes, at any angle it seems to have a green tint to it, even to the extreme that when I rested it on my knee and it fell to a slant, one half was green and the other a nice pure white. Is this normal for the new ipad and the technology the display it uses, I thought the point of IPS was to create a wide viewing angle.
__________________
rMBP/8gb/256ssd/2.3
RussellJones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:52 AM   #2
Sh4wN
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Common problem with the Retina display. If it's obvious and/or bothers you, take it back and hope you get one where its less noticeable.
Sh4wN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Mak47
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Part of the display is a polarizing film. If you tilt it at different angles you can see the optical effects. One way you'll see a little green, another way you'll see a little violet. If you put on polarized sunglasses, one orientation you'll see the display, the other you won't.

It's nothing to be concerned with and is totally normal, some are just more sensitive to it than others.
Mak47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:34 PM   #4
RussellJones
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak47 View Post
Part of the display is a polarizing film. If you tilt it at different angles you can see the optical effects. One way you'll see a little green, another way you'll see a little violet. If you put on polarized sunglasses, one orientation you'll see the display, the other you won't.

It's nothing to be concerned with and is totally normal, some are just more sensitive to it than others.
Thanks, I was hoping it was something to do with the production of the ipad, and occurs on them all, after the many returns on the rmbp I had to endure I didn't want to be in the same situation
__________________
rMBP/8gb/256ssd/2.3
RussellJones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:47 PM   #5
KeepCalmPeople
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California
Do the iPad 4 and the iPhone 4S use different display technology?
My 4S has a distinctly cooler blue tint, my iPad 4 has a slightly yellow tint in comparison. Neither is really an issue, but quite noticeable going from one to the other.

I would also say that the tint on both devices changes with the viewing angle.
KeepCalmPeople is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:50 PM   #6
daantje22
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellJones View Post
I got my iPad 4 yesterday as an upgrade from my 1st, the screen is great, when it is square in front of my eyes, at any angle it seems to have a green tint to it, even to the extreme that when I rested it on my knee and it fell to a slant, one half was green and the other a nice pure white. Is this normal for the new ipad and the technology the display it uses, I thought the point of IPS was to create a wide viewing angle.

See my topic with photos

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1484477

I tested it with my iPod touch 4, iPhone 4, iPad 3&4 and ALL have the same green/purple hue
daantje22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:31 AM   #7
daantje22
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
up
daantje22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:07 PM   #8
HarryWarden
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
What is the benefit of using the polarizing film, especially if it produces the tints mentioned when not viewed straight-on?
HarryWarden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:27 PM   #9
RussellJones
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
What is the benefit of using the polarizing film, especially if it produces the tints mentioned when not viewed straight-on?
they reduce glare
__________________
rMBP/8gb/256ssd/2.3
RussellJones is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC