Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 26, 2011, 02:31 PM   #1
Evolvere
macrumors member

Is sleep allowed while calibrating a MacBook's battery?

I just thought I'd see if I could clarify a minor point regarding the batttery calibration process listed here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

After the laptop has been resting in its fully charged state for two hours and one disconnects the power adapter, is it permissible to allow the laptop to sleep at any point during the complete drain of the battery? i.e. could I disconnect my MacBook Pro in the morning while its sleeping and use it over the course of a day, putting it to sleep at various points, and then complete the drain of the battery in the evening? Or does the laptop have to be properly on from the start and during the entire drain of the battery?

Thanks for any help.
Evolvere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 03:43 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolvere View Post
is it permissible to allow the laptop to sleep at any point during the complete drain of the battery?
Yes, you can let it sleep while draining, but it will take much longer to drain the battery that way. Why would you want to have it sleep, when the intention is to use the battery to drain it?
This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 04:34 PM   #3
Evolvere
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Why would you want to have it sleep, when the intention is to use the battery to drain it?
Because I carry my laptop with me most days. I'm a student and use it on campus. If calibrating the battery required the laptop to be fully on during the whole process, I would have to connect the power adapter as soon as I got home, wait for it to fully charge, wait for it to rest in that state for two hours, and only then begin calibrating. The fact that sleep doesn't interrupt the process, means I can use my MacBook all day at university, necessarily with periods of sleep, and finish draining the battery on the evening, saving me a lot of time and inconvenience.

Thanks for the quick reply and the link to the FAQ. So am I right in thinking that the only things that can interrupt the calibration process are shutting the computer off or reattaching the power adapter?
Evolvere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 04:36 PM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolvere View Post
So am I right in thinking that the only things that can interrupt the calibration process are shutting the computer off or reattaching the power adapter?
Yes. Or interrupting the 2 hours fully charged with the AC power connected.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:46 AM   #5
pmontanarella
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yes. Or interrupting the 2 hours fully charged with the AC power connected.
I am calibrating my battery right now and in the first portion of calibration (charging to 100%) i shut down my computer and restarded a few times. Does that mean I interrupted calibration or is only when discharging?

Thanks,
Pietro
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:53 AM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmontanarella View Post
I am calibrating my battery right now and in the first portion of calibration (charging to 100%) i shut down my computer and restarded a few times. Does that mean I interrupted calibration or is only when discharging?

Thanks,
Pietro
Once it's fully charged, allow it to remain plugged in for 2 hours, without shutting down or restarting. It's fine if you restarted or shut down while you were charging it. I assume you're referring to the MacBook in your signature.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:57 AM   #7
pmontanarella
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Once it's fully charged, allow it to remain plugged in for 2 hours, without shutting down or restarting. It's fine if you restarted or shut down while you were charging it. I assume you're referring to the MacBook in your signature.
Thanks,
Yes I was referring to the one in my signature (just got a replacement battery).

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help