Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WatchYouGo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
I've been playing with my new 64gb iPad LTE and I really like it. I had the original iPad and also an iPad 3 (yeah, buying 2 iPads in one year kinda sucked, but nobody twisted my arm). The differences in the 4 vs. the 3 are there, but definitely not super drastic. The 4 is faster, I've mainly noticed this when gesturing through open apps (or at least it seems more responsive in that regard). The lightning connector is nice too. I know changing form the 30 pin is a real pain for most people, including myself, but it plugs into the devices much easier now (this is most noticeable when your in a dark room or vehicle at night).

So what would we like to changed in the current OS of this iPad and also what are the hopes for the 5th gen? Personally, I'd prefer to see the split screen keyboard changed around some. One thing I liked about the mini was the size of the keyboard when holding it vertically and typing with thumbs. It's great that we can split the keyboard on the iPad to make typing easier, I just wish that the split keyboard was a little bigger, maybe increase the size 25%.

I'm personally not too concerned with the thickness of the iPad, IMO it's already thin, but I would like to see some weight dropped off. While it's not heavy to carry around, lighter would be an improvement.

What else would be nice to have changed?

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
I prefer the mini's rounded bezel. Whereas, the ipad 2/3/4 feel like they are cutting into you.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
I'm very pleasantly surprised by the speed increase. I use the app 'The Early Edition' as my morning newspaper...have since iPad 1:). I'm like the OP. I buy each iteration and with a growing son, and a bride that also enjoys iOS, as well as a business that's literally been transformed by both iPad and iPhone alike...it's always been an easy decision. This time, with a quick 7 month turn around, I debated a bit. Bought the 4 on launch day...backed up from my '3' and loaded up Early Edition with my RSS feeds...and was completely floored by the speed increase when updating the daily paper. Easily three times as fast and that's not embellishment!!!

I'm happy...MORE than happy with the performance of the A6, screen once again is amazing...but the form factor of the 'mini' is awesome! For me, the greatest improvements to the big iPad would be continuous refinement of the weight and 'hold ability' factor. I bought the mini the same day as the 4--& I'm in love with it's design

As well, more RAM has been proven with each increase it's value while using memory intensive apps or multitasking, multiple tabs in browser, etc.

For now, IMHO, I think we are perfect for CPU and GPU 'speed'. Battery life is also amazing. The higher amperage 'lightning' connector is also a nice surprise. It's charging my '4' quicker than the '3's connector. 10watt vs. 12.

The '4' is a subtle yet significant update, again, IMHO. While of course, YMMV:)

J

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
While there were some significant upgrades from the 2 to the 3 there were some things that were a step back as well. It was thicker, it was heavier, it didn't have as long of battery life and the battery takes much longer to re-charge. While the new 12W charger the 4 charges a bit faster and battery life is improved, but is still heavier and thicker than the iPad 2.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Thinner, lighter, less heat, smaller bezel (like the mini).

This plus a file system and memory slot. If no expandable memory then offer up to 128gb (without gouging us). Also, multiple user accounts. Yes, Apple, sometimes we are sharing devices.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
This is an excellent model.

Now it would be wise for Apple to spend time returning to the quality & consistency they were once known for.

They are not having any more trouble in those areas than any other time.

WatchYouGo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
It would maybe be nice if the shell wasn't so slick. I swear that if I don't have it in the case and put it down on the couch it will slide off the seat, hit the floor, proceed down the stairs and through the front door, possibly never to be found again. :p

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Is it just me but have we stopped expecting great things out of Apple lately? Are we really only expecting faster, lighter, longer battery and other evolutionary changes?

I have an iPhone 5 and iPad 3 but I wish Apple would wow us again...

Here's to hoping to an amazing 2013 product line :)

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Is it just me but have we stopped expecting great things out of Apple lately? Are we really only expecting faster, lighter, longer battery and other evolutionary changes?

I have an iPhone 5 and iPad 3 but I wish Apple would wow us again...

Here's to hoping to an amazing 2013 product line :)

What "great things" do you expect? Everything's been done so time to improve it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.