Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aware

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Hi, i tried but rMBP only shows the option of boot from hd and boot from recovery. It does not show the external drive?

aware

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Hi, there are some steps i don't understand. Step 3 ask us to create new image from disc, the pic shown is for dvd but mine is downloaded dmg file. Should i create a new image from dmg? If i create a new image, what format and partitions should i choose?

Attachments

• DG 1.png
    DG 1.png
    383 KB · Views: 68
  • DG 2.png
    DG 2.png
    362.4 KB · Views: 53
Nov 28, 2010
located
Hi, there are some steps i don't understand. Step 3 ask us to create new image from disc, the pic shown is for dvd but mine is downloaded dmg file. Should i create a new image from dmg? If i create a new image, what format and partitions should i choose?

That is why I mentioned, that step 7 and following are the steps helping in your case. Maybe I should have clarified, that steps 1 to 6 can be ignored.

aware

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
That is why I mentioned, that step 7 and following are the steps helping in your case. Maybe I should have clarified, that steps 1 to 6 can be ignored.

Step 7 ask us to select a DVD disk image (.cdr) from column list on the left of the Disk Utility window, but mine is a dmg image. So i just burn dmg or do i need to convert to cdr?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Step 7 ask us to select a DVD disk image (.cdr) from column list on the left of the Disk Utility window, but mine is a dmg image. So i just burn dmg or do i need to convert to cdr?

Further into that sentence it also teils you can Open an external image, it does not need to be a DMG.

Jedi

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
Hi ,

I too have a question , maybe someone would help. :

So when you extract the “InstallESD.dmg” , then copy > then paste to "Source"
to make it bootable ( USB Flash Drive ).

Now is where I get confused , I have not done any of this yet , but buying any Mac and not "optimizing" it seems like a waste __ IMO.

So , now I have my USB F/D at the ready and my computer is OFF ( I go grab a cup-of-joe ) , then I plug the USB f/d into a USB port.

Here is where I`m stuck !! , I know stupid me :eek: , but what keys do I press to allow the USB drive to boot ?

If I did this I would need to get back to disc utilities to re-format the main drive and do a custom install.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated , thanks in advance.

In the "old days" you could just but your install disc in and hold the "C" key,
then go to D-U to reformat and clean install.

Take care , Happy Holidays :D

Gary 

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.