Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattxi

macrumors member
Original poster
Hey all,

About to decide on an rMBP within the week. I do a lot of video editing, compositing, 3D work, scoring, etc. The stock processor is 2.6GHz i7 (3.6GHz boost), is it worth $250 to get the 2.7GHz i7 (3.7GHz boost)?

Will there be a noticeable difference?

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Nope. The performance improvement going from 2.3 to 2.6 isn't that great. Going from 2.6 to 2.7 would be minimal at best.

I'd think that the 2.7 option is only there for those who want the absolutely best performance out of their machine at this time even if it's minuscule.

Of course, if you have the cash to burn, then by all means, go for it, but the difference is very minimal.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
I'm for sure doing 16gb ram, but you wouldn't suggest upgrading from 2.6 to 2.7?

I wouldn't even recommend upgrading to the 2.6 from the 2.3, the $100 isnt worth 300MHz and benchmark bragging rights. The real world performance difference will be insignificant and any decoding/encoding will only get marginally faster.

I think the best setup is 2.3/16/256 or 2.3/16/512. If the $100 isn't anything to you, then opt for the 2.6. I myself, would rather spend the $100 on a nice 7200RPM USB3 HDD.

xxcysxx

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
If you want the absolute best CPU for a mobile laptop then that would be the 3940xm speaking as of today. Apple doesn't offer it because of cost reasons and chances are their system can't handle the thermal output. One step below that would be the 3840qm, which is likely going to be on the next refresh if there is one due soon. The 3820qm is the former version of the 3840qm, which is the top of the line processor your speaking of for the fifteen inch retina.

you are not going to see or benifit the fullest performance potential of the 3820qm on the retina machine for day to day task because the graphic scaling tax away some of that processing horsepower. Though, I'm not sure about the comparable fifteen inch classic since it doesn't do graphic scaling. But you'll be paying more for a comparable fifteen inch classic vs its retina counterpart.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
If you want the absolute best CPU for a mobile laptop then that would be the 3940xm speaking as of today. Apple doesn't offer it because of cost reasons and chances are their system can't handle the thermal output. One step below that would be the 3840qm, which is likely going to be on the next refresh if there is one due soon. The 3820qm is the former version of the 3840qm, which is the top of the line processor your speaking of for the fifteen inch retina.

you are not going to see or benifit the fullest performance potential of the 3820qm on the retina machine for day to day task because the graphic scaling tax away some of that processing horsepower. Though, I'm not sure about the comparable fifteen inch classic since it doesn't do graphic scaling. But you'll be paying more for a comparable fifteen inch classic vs its retina counterpart.
max TDP suggests that only 3840QM is possible, but it offers only but a marginal speed bump (100mhz) compared to the top model.
Perhaps this + GT660M instead of 650M is a feasible january refresh before haswell overhaul in spring

xxcysxx

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
well, 3840qm and 3940xm have the same thermal output, 55 watts. and beside the difference of 100mhz, its also has an unlock multiplier, for over-clocking.:D, an $850 price tag, and also some other brag rights. :p

hopefully, on the next refresh, if they decide to update the video card, they wouldn't have to overclock it, which will equates to a "slightly" more efficient system.

Last edited:

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
I agree with others on this thread, the 2.7GHz is not worth it. For most people, even the 2.6GHz isn't going to be noticeable. Personally I did go for the 2.6GHz, but really only because I get a decent discount from work so the cost was pretty minimal. The best configuration in my opinion is either the 2.6GHz/16GB/256GB or the 2.6GHz/16GB/512GB depending on onboard storage needs. If you don't do anything really processor intensive, then the 2.3GHz versions of above are really good too.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
you got me. i stand corrected.:eek:

That's good though, 3840qm got out after Retina... so it's kinda possible that they'll replace the chip in January.
If that's the case I'd rather wait, i know what everybody is saying, but there has been too many moments when I wished I'd go with 2.8ghz 4 years ago when I bought my first (and first in general) unibody - 2.53ghz

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
Hey all,

About to decide on an rMBP within the week. I do a lot of video editing, compositing, 3D work, scoring, etc. The stock processor is 2.6GHz i7 (3.6GHz boost), is it worth $250 to get the 2.7GHz i7 (3.7GHz boost)?

Will there be a noticeable difference?
As an video editor myself I say definitely you will need every available hardware possible.Memory can add later.

mattxi

macrumors member
Original poster
This has strayed a little bit from the original topic--SSD stays at 512, not gonna worry about upgrading it or anything.

It seems as though most are in agreement that 2.7 isn't worth $250, but I do want to stick with 2.6 since the work I do is processor intensive.

Here it is:
rMBP 15"
2.6GHz i7
16gb RAM
512gb SSD

Seems like it'll do the job.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
its not a good deal, nor its faster. its best to order a ssd from ifixit, much better prices

diglloyd (macperformanceguide) said that the speed is better, albeit marginally. Also, iFixit is completely out of stock on Retina drives.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
As someone who owns and uses a maxed out rMBP...go for the 2.7 and 16GB. It is the SSD size that adds killer costs. SSD size relates to how much you need data you need to collect or carry inside the machine. I doubt most people need the 756GB. I got it for collecting photos during multiple week photo trips. The edited files are moved to external thunderbolt drives.

I plan to keep the machine for at least the 3 years of Apple Care. So I am not buying a machine for today; I am buying one to last at least 3 years with unknown processing requirements from OS or apps in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.