Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:48 PM   #151
Prof.
macrumors 68040
 
Prof.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chicago
Worst ad campaign ever. Staaaaaaaahp!
__________________
When kids look up to great scientists the way they do to great musicians and actors, civilization will jump to the next level
- Brian Greene
Prof. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:49 PM   #152
fiveainone
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
phone looks so small..
fiveainone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:49 PM   #153
charlituna
macrumors 604
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipduran View Post
Apple please stop.

They fired that HR guy for performing badly, can they do the same for their current advertising guy?
You assume because you think the ads are crap, Apple agrees. Maybe they don't. Maybe they think the ads are awesome, which is why they approved them in the first place and why they approved continuing the series.

Don't confuse your personal opinion with a universal one or with fact
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 01:28 PM   #154
TM WAZZA
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
I love the calculator app
TM WAZZA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 01:45 PM   #155
vampyren
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleho View Post
How are they obnoxious? They show the greatest apps available to a neat beat. They're great!
Some people can only find wrongs in things, i also think its a great ad that actually shows the product and what it can do and that to a good music/beat.
vampyren is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 01:47 PM   #156
lilo777
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
great ads

They explain to people that they can run apps on mobile devices

/s
lilo777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 03:52 PM   #157
DUCKofD3ATH
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Shoulda been....

ROCK!

followed by

ROLL!

<cue Steve Jobs spinning in his grave>
DUCKofD3ATH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 04:06 PM   #158
topper24hours
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma*Police View Post
The problem with showing a dozen apps in 60 seconds is that most people think those apps are available on Android as well, thanks to clueless and lazy bloggers and journalists who simply write about the number of apps on each platform.
I disagree, I find it much more likely that the average Joe would assume that, since this is an Apple commercial, these apps are only available on iPhone... if anything.
topper24hours is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 04:16 PM   #159
DUCKofD3ATH
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
You assume because you think the ads are crap, Apple agrees. Maybe they don't. Maybe they think the ads are awesome, which is why they approved them in the first place and why they approved continuing the series.

Don't confuse your personal opinion with a universal one or with fact
Those same opinions greenlighted the "Genius" ads. Apple needs iconic, not moronic. Less Borg shouting in unison and more silhouetted dancers.
DUCKofD3ATH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 04:31 PM   #160
lwapps
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
They should move on to a new style of iPhone ads now. All their ads are too similar to one another now.
__________________
LW Apps iPhone iOS Applications
LW Apps Twitter
Best iPhone Apps: Studious Diary/Planner: bit.ly/PqTzyw Are You Normal?: m.lwapps.com/15HN0it Phys Pad: bit.ly/Pj86Oa
lwapps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 04:59 PM   #161
Am3r1ca16
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New York City
what were they doing in the yelp app. in the 2nd video with the camera?
Am3r1ca16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 05:13 PM   #162
charlituna
macrumors 604
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCKofD3ATH View Post
Those same opinions greenlighted the "Genius" ads. Apple needs iconic, not moronic. Less Borg shouting in unison and more silhouetted dancers.
And some folks thought those ads weren't as bad as others screamed.

We are allowed differing opinions are we not. Or are we only allowed our opinions if they agree with yours

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwapps View Post
They should move on to a new style of iPhone ads now. All their ads are too similar to one another now.
or maybe they want the ads to be similar so they are recognized as an Apple Ad before it gets to the end title plate
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 06:42 PM   #163
turtlez
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by techortreat View Post
Apple needs to come back with something strong. They just let Samsung make a mockery out of the iPhone 5 and the Apple fans. Usually it's Apple doing that.
Even their product release events have become predictable and boring. I hope this is just the calm before the real Apple is back.
I used to despise Samsung's mockery tactics against Apple users but Apple isn't even doing anything to defend against the attacks. It seems they are just sitting there rewriting good apps turning them into bad ones and tweaking stuff gently. I am losing respect for Apple and I think they've run out of ideas while the competition is booming with them. I'll take an iPhone any day over a Samsung phone but the Android OS is so far ahead of iOS it will take drastic measures for Apple to survive the phone market. My 3GS is slow as hell right now and the battery life has decreased to a charge per day level so I will be needing to buy a new phone soon. Apple better hope HTC or Google don't bring out something that kicks ass before that time comes.
turtlez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 09:42 PM   #164
DUCKofD3ATH
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
And some folks thought those ads weren't as bad as others screamed.

We are allowed differing opinions are we not. Or are we only allowed our opinions if they agree with yours
Well, shucks! Everybody gets to have an opinion, Charlituna, but the value of individual opinions varies drastically.

If you were the executive whose opinion leads Apple to waste money on one bad advertising campaign after another, others would rightly question your taste, judgment, and yes, opinion.

The jury is in on the "Genius" ads and they were a failure. In a fairly short time, the "Yes! We're all individuals!....Yes, we ARE all different!" campaign ("Brilliant", "Discover", etc., etc., ad nauseum) will also be acknowledged to be disasters.

Last edited by DUCKofD3ATH; Mar 12, 2013 at 09:50 PM.
DUCKofD3ATH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 07:32 PM   #165
oneMadRssn
macrumors 6502a
 
oneMadRssn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake1776 View Post
This ad campaign is the major driver that makes me think some people are right when they say Apple has lost its luster. I have been ardently defending Apple since the 90s. I buy just about all of their products and I just got myself the new 27" imac. However, everyone knows that part of the magic that is Apple was in the way the package was delivered. I'm talking about Steve Jobs being excited about a new product. I'm talking about the way that Apple painted its competition as old and boring (IBM, Microsoft, etc). This commercial campaign is AWFUL.

I recently attended campaign management school in Washington D.C. A presenter who has designed some of the most famous political ads in the last 25 years had only TWO ads to show us to make his point about really GREAT political advertising. To my surprise, they weren't political ads at all. They were the "think different" and "mac v. pc" ads. He said they were among the greatest ads of all time. Specifically, "mac v. pc" slammed the competition, but did it (he said) in a fun way that everyone had to admit was true.

Advertising at apple has shifted away from edgy and fun ... and morphed into boring, dull, and forgettable. This makes me think that the things people are saying on here about Apple "losing its touch" might just be true. If I was to write an ad for apple ... it would be the easiest thing in the world. Something funny... and yet true. "Hello, I'm an iPhone ... And I'm an Android." Then one of them falls on the ground and says, I just cracked myself because I'm made of cheap plastic.
I respectively disagree with you and the speaker you quote. An ad that has artistic and substantive merit does not necessarily make it effective as a rule. Some of the most effective ads are the a tad annoying, off key or off tempo, because these minor imperfections make them stick in your mind.

I believe apple's most effective ads were the ones that have a double purpose of selling the product's features at the same time as educating the user on how to use those features. The Mac v. PC ads weren't effective because they slammed the competition in a clever way, they were effective because they explained how great OSX is and provided real world examples of where it's great; it gave context. It's the same reason those switch ads were effective. As to the iOS device ads, they're effective because they display usefull apps and functions, and have a hand there to actually visually show you how to use those apps and functions. They sell, and they teach. That duality is the key.
oneMadRssn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 07:41 PM   #166
lolkthxbai
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadley_chad View Post
Yeh, who cares if the phones Samsung are kicking out are better ... its all about the adverts isn't it!
Darn tootin!
lolkthxbai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:39 AM   #167
steelecan
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayala421 View Post
For anyone else who is interested, this is the iPhoto app
Thanks. Must be a newer version coming out because it doesn't look like that
__________________
iPhone 5|iPad 2
steelecan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 06:46 PM   #168
n0m0n
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: HERE
Send a message via ICQ to n0m0n Send a message via AIM to n0m0n Send a message via Skype™ to n0m0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayala421 View Post
For anyone else who is interested, this is the iPhoto app
Thanks I've been search all over the place for the past few days tying to find out what app that was.
But if it iPhoto how did they get the time, and other options at the bottom?

Are you saying its just a picture?

Thanks
__________________
JW

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle
n0m0n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 01:23 PM   #169
supbilly07
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0m0n View Post
Thanks I've been search all over the place for the past few days tying to find out what app that was.
But if it iPhoto how did they get the time, and other options at the bottom?

Are you saying its just a picture?

Thanks
Hi, it's not iPhoto, it's an app called Magic Window.
supbilly07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC