Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Feb 18, 2011, 10:59 AM   #376
MrMoore
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Q View Post
On Star Trek Next Generation the character named Data couldn't use contractions, despite his sophistication with human language. I always thought that was a clever way to remind us that he wasn't really human (oops I mean "was not really human" ) but I also thought that is was silly from a technical point of view. Data could understand when people said "it's" or "can't" -- and that's the hard part. Saying "it's" instead of "it is" and "can't" instead of "cannot" would be trivial for Dr. Soong, his programmer.

At least I thought so. Now we have Watson, who omitted the articles in his questions. Where a human would say the question was "What is the United States?" he would say "What is United States?" instead. Were articles too hard a challenge for the IBM programmers?
I hate to get geeky, but the reason Data could not speak in contractions was something Dr Soong did on purpose. Lore (who was made before Data) could do contractions.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 11:23 AM   #377
Wondercow
macrumors regular

Quote:
On Star Trek Next Generation the character named Data couldn't use contractions, despite his sophistication with human language. I always thought that was a clever way to remind us that he wasn't really human (oops I mean "was not really human" ) but I also thought that is was silly from a technical point of view. Data could understand when people said "it's" or "can't" -- and that's the hard part. Saying "it's" instead of "it is" and "can't" instead of "cannot" would be trivial for Dr. Soong, his programmer.
Me too; I mean, Data could learn new words and new languages, etc. so why couldn't he learn "isn't" or "didn't"? What I find interesting now is that my three-year-old will not use contractions, though her comprehension of them is perfect.

"Please don't touch that"
she touches
"What did I just say?"
"You said 'do not touch that'"

Maybe it's a necessity of artificial intelligence—or at least of Data and Watson—that they communicate like three-year-olds
Wondercow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:55 AM   #378
yellow

Quote:
If they did, they shouldn't have. Watson seemed to produce more incorrect questions on the final day.
Agreed, which made me wonder if they tweaked.

Either way, I was fascinated by the challenge and hope to see more in the future. Perhaps Watson versus Watson 2.0 versus a Speak & Spell?
yellow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:29 PM   #379
Tilpots
macrumors 68040

Watson isn't done just yet. Docs are now repurposing the massive computer to help diagnose patients. House beware!
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:13 AM   #380
Doctor Q
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpots View Post
Watson isn't done just yet. Docs are now repurposing the massive computer to help diagnose patients. House beware!
If it's like the Jeopardy! version, I expect it will usually confirm the doctor's diagnosis, it will sometimes make amazing diagnoses the doctors missed, and once in a while it will recommend a lobotomy for a scraped knee.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 01:22 PM   #381
Doctor Q
Administrator

David Ferrucci, lead developer of Watson, talks about their approach here: the use of massive parallelism and the merging of results from multiple techniques of analysis.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 01:00 PM   #382
Doctor Q
Administrator

Excellent TechRepublic article by Jo Best on the history, present, and future of the Watson project, including the hope to turn Watson from medical clinician assistant into the equivalent of a physician that can pass the general medical licensing board exams, and the possibility of Siri-like use of Watson.

Image from IBM:

Click image for larger version

Name:	watson-siri.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	432975
Old Sep 13, 2013, 01:01 PM   #383
Tilpots
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Excellent TechRepublic article by Jo Best on the history, present, and future of the Watson project, including the hope to turn Watson from medical clinician assistant into the equivalent of a physician that can pass the general medical licensing board exams, and the possibility of Siri-like use of Watson.

Image from IBM:

Attachment 432975
Takes all the allure out of playing doctor.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 01:06 PM   #384
MattG
macrumors 68040

I saw this thread come up on the front page and thought I stepped into some kind of time warp...
MattG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 01:10 PM   #385
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpots View Post
Takes all the allure out of playing doctor.
Luckily, my days of "playing doctor" pre-dated computers.

Wait...I'm still playing Doctor!

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events