Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:41 AM   #26
johnmarshall4
macrumors newbie

I can confirm that the 2012 can also drive 2560x1440 through the HDMI. I had to use SwitchResX. The Pixel clock is still limited to 162Mhz. In SwitchResX I was able to drive my Dell U2711 at 40hz when I used CVT-RB as the custom settings method. 40hz isn't ideal of course but is plenty as I am using this as a secondary monitor, the primary is a 30". I have been able to drive the U2711 using HDMI or the HDMI to single link DVI dongle. For some reason the colors look washed out using the HDMI so I'm going to stick with DVI.
johnmarshall4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:09 AM   #27
playak
macrumors newbie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmarshall4 View Post
I can confirm that the 2012 can also drive 2560x1440 through the HDMI. I had to use SwitchResX. The Pixel clock is still limited to 162Mhz. In SwitchResX I was able to drive my Dell U2711 at 40hz when I used CVT-RB as the custom settings method. 40hz isn't ideal of course but is plenty as I am using this as a secondary monitor, the primary is a 30". I have been able to drive the U2711 using HDMI or the HDMI to single link DVI dongle. For some reason the colors look washed out using the HDMI so I'm going to stick with DVI.
I used the same settings as you to connect my 27" Eizo over HDMI. Works fine, but I'm wondering if there may be any side effects from using 40Hz. This is just the screen refresh rate, right? Shouldn't affect the color calibration etc?

thanks for any knowledge that someone here may be able to share.
playak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:27 PM   #28
nontroppo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
But what he's saying is that Apple seems to limit the VGA and HDMI outputs on these computers. Both should be capable of 2560 and beyond. And under Windows they are. So something about the OSX driver prevents it.
Your input to this thread has been excellent, thanks terraphantm!!!

Wonder if anyone has sent feedback to Apple about limiting the hardware through their software? As this doesn't affect their Thunderbolt display, I imagine if this is not deliberate on Apple's part, they don't have much incentive to fix it. If HDMI worked, I could use a 380 2560x1440 27" IPS Asus and still leave my TB port free without restricting me to pass-through only accessories...
nontroppo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:21 PM   #29
pesos
macrumors 6502

Hi guys, I have a 2012 mini currently driving a 27" cinema display via thunderbolt.

I am considering getting the 4k Asus monitor next month, and trying to figure out if the mini will be able to drive it. I read where Intel has HD4000 drivers that support the necessary resolution, but the little info I see on it says that it does so via two displayport connectors.

The Asus has a single displayport 1.2 input, or a dual-hdmi input.

Does the mini have displayport 1.2 (I highly doubt it given the release timeframe)? Assuming it doesn't, could I use a dp1.1 to hdmi cable, and another hdmi cable to utilize the dual-hdmi input on the Asus?
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:42 PM   #30
iPhil
macrumors 68030

Location: A$$hat free location,and helping Mac bring back teh sexy-ness era back
Send a message via AIM to iPhil
from '10 to '12 mini will handle 2560*1600 via MDP / TB port and HDMI is 1920*1200...

To run 4K display - Haswell chip based Mini since 4K is 3840 x 2160 .. I think Mr. Schiller said @ WWDC Haswell Chips will be able to push a 4K display..
iPhil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 09:11 PM   #31
Ancaster
macrumors member

Did a kitchen reno and finally setup my 2012 MM in the corner.

I had to buy a miniDP-DP cable ($20) yesterday for 2 reasons:
- to enable 2560x1440 for my U2711
- I have the dreaded HDMI lose sync issue

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhil View Post
from '10 to '12 mini will handle 2560*1600 via MDP / TB port and HDMI is 1920*1200...

To run 4K display - Haswell chip based Mini since 4K is 3840 x 2160 .. I think Mr. Schiller said @ WWDC Haswell Chips will be able to push a 4K display..
I guess a 2012 MM w i7 won't push a 4K display?
Ancaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:38 AM   #32
TechnoMax
macrumors newbie

More than 1900x1080p over HDMI

No, an Apple Mac mini (2011) is definitively *not* limited to an output of 1980x1200 over its HDMI port, at least not with Windows 7 in Bootcamp mode. As I found googling it works by defining a custom resolution (2560x1440 in the "Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel": And I had to scale back the refresh rate to 25 Hz (it did not work with 55 Hz as others have managed), but with a LCD monitor, this does not hurt much (except for videos I presume). And I used the paramater timing standards "CVT-RB" (Coordinated Video Timings - Reduced Blanking).

I can put the Mac into standby and it stills comes back with the big resolution.
TechnoMax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2013, 01:32 AM   #33
reukiodo
macrumors newbie

Send a message via ICQ to reukiodo Send a message via AIM to reukiodo Send a message via MSN to reukiodo Send a message via Yahoo to reukiodo Send a message via Skype™ to reukiodo
In case anyone finds this thread through searching, the real solution to unlock higher resolution in OS X is here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1651886
reukiodo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini