Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

)31==3)23¥w0/\9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Hi everyone,

So, around last December, i dropped my iPhone 4S and the screen cracked. I know that accidental damage like this is NOT covered by the limited warranty provided with the iPhone (I didn't buy AppleCare+) and so I've been using the phone as is, with the cracked screen. About 3 days ago, the power/lock button on top of my iPhone stopped working, no clicky sound and the iPhone is unresponsive. I was curious to see if the warranty still covered this, even though the front screen was cracked. I went to the Apple website, and I spoke to several different Apple Representatives. After talking to 8 of them, 7 of them told me that my iPhone was still protected under the warranty against manufacturing faults such as the failure of my lock/power button, and the other 1 just referred me to tech support.

So, feeling pretty confident, I headed into the apple store and I talked to the mediator person in between the rest of the store and the Genius Bar. The guy there told me that it'd be 199$, without even looking at my iPhone. I explained to him that it was a manufacturing fault, and how i had talked to the sales representatives online and how they had said differently. He dismissed it and just said that it was irrelevant.

So, disappointed, I headed home, and I decided to ask the online sales representatives again. When i related to them my experience at the store, of the two different people that i asked, they both said that it was likely just a bad experience with someone providing bad customer service; they both thought that the phone should be replaced for free. Both recommended that i save their conversations and to call AppleCare.

So, the next morning, I called AppleCare, but they weren't helpful at all. The lady on the phone kept telling me that i needed to pay for AppleCare+ before i could call them and wouldn't answer any of my questions. So i headed back to the Apple store and related my story to the mediator guy (a different one). He said that if the sales reps online had said that i could get the phone replaced for free, then I could go back online and get my iPhone replaced by AppleCare. So now what steps should i take to get my iPhone replaced? I'm not sure if i should call AppleCare again, or if there's a way to email someone about this at Apple? :confused:

Kind of long...sorry :p Thanks in advance :D

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
Yes it's a fault, yes it would be under warranty. You've got accidental damage which overides all of that and would mean you would have to pay for a replacement, then your warranty would be the same as before u cracked it.

They won't do any swaps or repairs while it's like that.

Bobby.e

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
Kansas
Yes it's a fault, yes it would be under warranty. You've got accidental damage which overides all of that and would mean you would have to pay for a replacement, then your warranty would be the same as before u cracked it.

They won't do any swaps or repairs while it's like that.

This person is right. If you made an appt. at the genius bar they would normally they cover the button. But since it's been dropped any accidental makes the warrenty nuil and void.

)31==3)23¥w0/\9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
hm, just curious, would Apple know if i replaced my screen myself and then claimed the warranty? It's a lot cheaper than the 199$+tax that they charge. 199$ is...a little too extravagant for me

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
With all of the contacts over the phone and visits to the store, I'm pretty sure there is at least one record kept of what has been discussed and what damage was present upon initial evaluation of the iPhone. If you replace the screen yourself, and the same phone which has been documented within the last week or so to have damages is no longer damaged, Apple is likely to deny the claim based on an unauthorized repair having been performed.

svenn

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Who are these mediators? you mean the "genius" ? I would make an appt at the genius bar and see what the "geniuses" have to say.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
hm, just curious, would Apple know if i replaced my screen myself and then claimed the warranty? It's a lot cheaper than the 199$+tax that they charge. 199$ is...a little too extravagant for me

Yes they would know . I'm sure you would use the cheapest non apple screen so yea they would know. Just spend the money and let them give ya a refurb for $199

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Who are these mediators? you mean the "genius" ? I would make an appt at the genius bar and see what the "geniuses" have to say.

I'm wondering if the "mediators" the OP is talking about is just a regular employee, but not a genius. I would have definitely wanted to speak to a genius.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.