Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK
This may be a one off, but I am hoping there is someone out there who has got this to work.

I have installed Win XP via Parallels 8 so as to run some legacy Windows programs with no direct Mac equivalents.

One of these is a Navigation program, PC Planner, which uses C-Map charts. The program installed just fine, the problem is that the USB Multimedia reader which the chart chip plugs into is just not recognised. When I connect it an error message pops up.

"Unable to connect the USB device to the virtual machine. The device cannot be connected now. Please try again later." There is an error code id471. Clicking this leads to a page on the Parallels website concerning trying to load Win 8 from a USB stick, so not a similar problem at all.

Has anyone managed to use this program/card reader or does anyone have any suggestions?

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK
I thought I should update this, obviously no-one else has tried to use this device.

I had a support session with a very helpful guy from Parallels today, it is clear from that, that the problem lies with the incompatibility of the device with Mac OS X.

The Mac cannot recognise it so it is not available to Windows in Parallels.

I am next going to try setting up Windows XP via Bootcamp, hopefully it should work when I boot directly to Windows?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.