Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Aug 14, 2013, 06:30 AM   #26
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Probably easier than dealing with a media *****torm following the family stating it was due to past grades.
Zombie Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 08:56 AM   #27
AhmedFaisal

<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 16, 2013 at 05:40 PM.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:12 PM   #28
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Let's read the article carefully, shall we?

Quote:
A Georgia teenager needs a lifesaving heart transplant, but his family says low grades and trouble with the law have kept him off the transplant list.

Doctors at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston told the family of 15-year-old Anthony Stokes that they won't put him on the transplant list because of his history of "noncompliance," according to ABC's Atlanta affiliate WSBTV.
Neither the doctors nor the hospital used his grades or past trouble with the law as reasons to deny him a transplant. That was the family's conjecture.

But just like the little girl who needed an adult's lung, you rattle the cage of the media and get public sympathy with a nice controversy, you end up getting your transplant.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:47 PM   #29
macquariumguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to macquariumguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
But just like the little girl who needed an adult's lung, you rattle the cage of the media and get public sympathy with a nice controversy, you end up getting your transplant.
While someone else goes without.
macquariumguy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 01:26 PM   #30
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by macquariumguy View Post
While someone else goes without.
Yes but the organ generally goes to the one most in need at that time.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 05:37 PM   #31
bmt134
macrumors 6502

Quote:
So as long as you cry loud enough, you will get a transplant in this country.
bmt134 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:57 AM   #32
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Or the one with the most media attention.
Zombie Acorn is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 01:13 PM   #33
DUCKofD3ATH
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
I understand that there may be a lot of things they can't talk about. But, the visible public rationale stinks.
Seems perfectly reasonable to me, given what you posted. There are more people who need hearts than are available. Those who receive transplants have to follow a regimen of medication and visits to the doctor or the heart may be rejected.

The teenager in question has apparently demonstrated a habit of noncompliance with what the medicos have asked him to do, so giving him a heart would be wasted. It would be helpful if the article had explained how the teen had failed to be compliant, but I assume he hasn't done what the docs ordered.

His parent's claims that the transplant was denied because of low grades and trouble with the law was not established in the article.

Essentially, it's a badly written article.
DUCKofD3ATH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 01:22 PM   #34
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsNotMe View Post
Don't you just LLLLOOOOVVVVEEEE death panels?
Holy fear mongering batman.

Notice how it was the doctors at the private hospital that made this decision. Not the government

Quote:
Anyways, since the government has created an artificial shortage of organs available for transplant, it only makes sense that those the government does allow go to people who contribute to society.
I'd like to see the peer reviewed source that proves this statement.
zioxide is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 01:24 PM   #35
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
I believe the algorithm for assignment of organs is a bit more complex that that.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues