Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:05 PM   #1
CrazyCleave
macrumors newbie

How do I sort a Finder window by "date added" just like a Stack?

When I right click a folder I have dragged to the Dock I get the option to sort by "Date Added". This is super handy and I would like to be able to do it throughout the Finder but I can't find the option anywhere. Please note: I realize there is Date Created and Date Modified, these are not what I'm wanting to do, if a file was created and last modified a year ago, but added to a folder five minutes ago, I want to be able to sort the folder contents so that the file just added appears at the top of the list. (As they do in Stacks.) Thanks a bunch!

Cleave

CrazyCleave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:10 PM   #2
Dalton63841
macrumors 65816

There is no real way to do this by default with Finder, but you can setup a Folder Action for specific folders to do this:

See here, a little way down the page
Dalton63841 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:21 AM   #3
animatedude
macrumors 6502a

when i click sort by date added for the files on my desktop, then restart my computer the default option which is "None" comes back!

any idea how to set the files on Finder for the files on desktop on "Date added" by default?
animatedude is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help